Let's talk challenge rift

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. Let's talk challenge rift

User Info: CyberJ

CyberJ
5 months ago#1
So I ran this at the end of the night's play session. I'm kind of eh. Completed the rift in 4:20 or so I think maybe 4:30. Not stellar of course. Then I go look at the leaderboard and the top slot is like 2:12. Holy hell. Guess I'm not gonna bother with these too much except for the basically free mats just for running it once.

I really hope they add a ranking for clans to this. I know there is a friend list leaderboard but I only have like 4 people on my friend list. Would like to see how I'm set against the clan. :)

Also wondering if there will be any necro challenge rifts. Personally I think there should be and they should let anyone play them. Kind of a "try out" for those that didn't buy the pack yet.

For anyone in the beta I wonder if the reward will be available in season. Since it is an outside mode I was kinda hoping that we could run it in the season for the boost in mats. Seeing exactly how it is implemented I'm kinda doubtful now. Guess we'll know for certain come July 20 :).

Discuss.

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
5 months ago#2
I just couldn't believe they had the impale build using something other than the no vault cost belt. How aggravating!

but yeah, clan leaderboards should be a thing. even though i'm also in the boat of just doing it for the mats and moving on.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
5 months ago#3
So this week's challenge is a DH build? Is it posted anywhere where I could take a look? (not at my Diablo computer right now)

if you can get the rewards in season, that'll be nice; I tend to get lazy and stop doing bounties in-season as soon as I cube my three items.

User Info: GuiltyCrown

GuiltyCrown
5 months ago#4
I havent try it because I am busy playing necromancer.

CyberJ
5 months ago#5
Yeah it is a DH build that is not optimized which is really frustrating because that was the build I ran all last season. I kept trying to sequence it like I do my build. Annoying.

I haven't seen anywhere that lists the actual build other than in game.

I spent most of the night playing necro, but decided to give the CR a try quick before logging. I think the mode has potential but I really hope they improve their algorithm to give better results. Or maybe just have a human review the build and make tweaks.

redundancies
5 months ago#6
I'm betting that they do have a human review it and are intentionally not trying to select meta builds. I think that's a good idea as it keeps people on their toes, trying to perfect something that isn't just the cookie cutter.

CyberJ
5 months ago#7
I too think it is a good idea to not use the best meta builds and try to find things that are interesting. Plenty of interesting builds can do GR40. My biggest issue with this CR was that the build was close enough to my impale DH that it caused annoyance because it wasn't "correct" :).

User Info: thatguy181

thatguy181
5 months ago#8
To be completely honest...

I am thoroughly disappointed with the first challenge run. It's a poor man's version of the Shadow set all around. The gear was meh. You've got on Natalya's Boots so your cube slot is wasted on a RRoG. He had Lord Greenstone's Fan either equipped or cubed, I can't recall, but it's a completely worthless item as he then doesn't use Fan of Knives. As previously mentioned, the belt to make Vault free for 2 seconds after casting Impale is absent, drastically neutering the mobility of the set. Dawn is not cubed so Vengeance can't reach 100% up time....

It's an obvious starter set; someone gearing up for Shadow, not someone trying to make a challenging run. Not my idea of a "Challenge Rift", the timer is easily beaten (again showing that this is somebody's low level run after switching to Shadow and trying to gear up, they're clearly inexperienced with the set and it's potential).

The rewards were appreciated, lets me store a few Necro items in the Cube without having to run more bounties, but overall not what I was hoping for. If this is how it will be in future weeks, the name should have been "Try a New Build Rift" as there's nothing challenging about the current week's run.

redundancies
5 months ago#9
I'm going to say the "Challenge" is really more about who can perfect this setup and get the best time, not just beat this one user's time.

I tried it last night and it was fine; I'm not really a fan of the DH to begin with and the build they gave us didn't convince me otherwise. I did beat the timer, although it didn't look like I was going to initially (there's a lot of backloaded progress). I might push more if I get a class or build I enjoy in subsequent weeks.

User Info: thatguy181

thatguy181
5 months ago#10
Meh, taking a garbage set/build makeup and trying to be king of the hill with it doesn't appeal to me unfortunately.

The build you ran in the Challenge Rift shouldn't convince you of the awesomeness that is a Shadow DH because it is such a poor representation of said build/class.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. Let's talk challenge rift

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived