This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Wii just became worthless

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. My Wii just became worthless

User Info: skermac

skermac
3 years ago#1
Looks like I am forced to buy a Wii U now thanks to the jerks and idiots at Nintendo. Why would they do this? Does anyone know if the Wii U is bc? Can I use my Gamecube controller on the Wii U? I use it all the time on my Wii because I love that controller.

"April 8 is also another day in which multiplayer servers are being shut down as Nintendo is flipping the switch for the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. All Wii and DS systems will no longer be able play online multiplayer games across the internet."

http://www.inquisitr.com/1203710/sony-shutting-down-multiplayer-servers-for-insomniacs-resistance-fall-of-man-on-april-8/
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
(message deleted)

User Info: NGage

NGage
3 years ago#3
It's May 20 when the online is taken down, not today.

skermac posted...
Does anyone know if the Wii U is bc?

Yes but after May 20 you won't be able to play online Wii games on that either.

skermac posted...
Can I use my Gamecube controller on the Wii U? I use it all the time on my Wii because I love that controller.

Wii U is not backwards compatible with GameCube games or accessories. However there are third party adapters to allow the use of the controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: skermac

skermac
3 years ago#4
NGage posted...
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

This adapter looks great, thanks for the info!
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive

User Info: SNeIa

SNeIa
3 years ago#5
Does this include access to the Wii Shop for the Virtual Console? I mean, it would seem stupid for them to shut that down, but if that's going along with other online capabilities, I may want to get a few more games downloaded onto my Wii before then.

User Info: stargazer64

stargazer64
3 years ago#6
SNeIa posted...
Does this include access to the Wii Shop for the Virtual Console? I mean, it would seem stupid for them to shut that down, but if that's going along with other online capabilities, I may want to get a few more games downloaded onto my Wii before then.

No, the shop will remain alive. Hopefully they will be able to migrate everything to the Wii U eShop eventually. If they can't then that was extremely poor planning.

Well, it was already poor planning. But that would take it to a new level.
"[Mcnugget2256] you're weak sauce! A nugget dipped into WEAKSAUCE!" - OhGoodGrief

User Info: NGage

NGage
3 years ago#7
stargazer64 posted...
Hopefully they will be able to migrate everything to the Wii U eShop eventually.

Seeing as Nintendo seems to have no plans for none Nintendo systems on the Wii U Virtual Console (Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, etc.) or WiiWare, I would be very surprised if that happened.

Another thing is that various games have already been removed (including the entire Commodore library). For details on which games, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: ViniciusFernand

ViniciusFernand
3 years ago#8
The online is being shutdown because gamespy is closing it's services.

User Info: MawiocUdwoc

MawiocUdwoc
3 years ago#9
ViniciusFernand posted...
The online is being shutdown because gamespy is closing it's services.

This. Plus, I don't feel like I have to buy a WiiU/3DS now, especially since even in those the Wii and DS games will be unplayable online.

Also, at least for me, online isn't everything, other than some online-only stuff that will be permanently missable it doesn't affect me as much as I thought, so I'll still be playing my Wii for a very long time.
My collection of games: www.backloggery.com/mavarac
Maybe you've seen me online? I go by "Mawioc Udwoc" or just "Mawioc".

User Info: RLSNintendo1985

RLSNintendo1985
3 years ago#10
Buy the new or change up. Isn't that hard.
"Long Live Nintendo!"
I own over 2500 games and counting. Once I own enough I'll start a review show.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. My Wii just became worthless

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived