Why do you like turn based combat?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why do you like turn based combat?

User Info: Shiflan

Shiflan
5 months ago#31
h_durao posted...
You still need skill in decision making in an action rpg... before and during the battle

Theoretically? Sure. In practice? Not so much.

In FFXV the best strategy is always the same: equip your strongest 1-H sword (usually some incarnation of the Engine Blade, or the Ragnarok if you're willing to use that OP weapon) and spam warp-strikes. That doesn't change until you get the Zwill Crossblades post-game. Use royal arms for stat bonuses.

Blocking? Don't worry about it. Most of the time you'll hit the enemy and interrupt its attack before it hits you; on the rare chance you do get it, it's no big deal--you have two life bars, your buddies heal you automatically, and you have plenty of items to use.
Weapon type/selection? Doesn't matter enough to worry about; your strongest 1H sword is almost certainly better than the "correct" type/element anyway.
Link-strikes? They take too long. Just mashing attack or spamming warp-strikes deals higher DPS, and results in you getting hit less frequently.
Choice of which enemy to attack? I've played around fighting demons at night and I can't tell any difference between targeting the big stuff (like a red giant) first, versus targeting the weaker mobs first.

Now I do admit that those are shortcomings of XV in particular and there are other ARPGs that don't have those same problems.

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
5 months ago#32
I like it because it requires the use of brain cells, unlike most action RPGs. Dark/Demon's Souls is a notable exception.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: TrepeGroupie2

TrepeGroupie2
5 months ago#33
h_durao posted...
GabranthXIII posted...
You can't understand it because you're not an intellectual like me.

You lost your touch...

And discuss the masterpiece created by matsuno-sama isnt weeb pls

Bla bla bla tsundere bla bla bla.

Was that a good impression of you?

User Info: GabranthXIII

GabranthXIII
5 months ago#34
TrepeGroupie2 posted...
h_durao posted...
GabranthXIII posted...

You lost your touch...

Tsundere? What a weeb. You forgot husbando this or that, racist, brazilian singers, masterpiece etc.

You perfectly impersonated our vanishing troll, H_Durao. He always uses the same lines, sadly he isn't the same as he used to be.

Now gimme more those JDH pictures, I need as many as I can get.... you can't be that tired.
Person 4 Golden is the greatest video game of all time.
..... I mean Persona 5

User Info: TrepeGroupie2

TrepeGroupie2
5 months ago#35
GabranthXIII posted...
TrepeGroupie2 posted...
h_durao posted...
GabranthXIII posted...

You lost your touch...

Tsundere? What a weeb. You forgot husbando this or that, racist, brazilian singers, masterpiece etc.

You perfectly impersonated our vanishing troll, H_Durao. He always uses the same lines, sadly he isn't the same as he used to be.

Now gimme more those JDH pictures, I need as many as I can get.... you can't be that tired.

Hm, you're right. I also forgot good kisser, handsome, funny, smart, good Christian etc.

I haven't slept at all, I'm shattered lol. You should be careful what you post on a Durao topic though, we don't want you reported...

User Info: Mefuki

Mefuki
5 months ago#36
Zero_Maniac posted...
I like it because it requires the use of brain cells, unlike most action RPGs. Dark/Demon's Souls is a notable exception.

Indeed. I've found the Dark Souls series to be the only ARPG that manages to achieve a turn-based feel in an action game setting (monsters take "turns" and are then vulnerable, there's an emphasis on builds and customisation, etc). FFXV could've learned a lot from the series.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cfpeJGwi2KhQjNvCkk5Cg
I've had my name for years. It's a Japanese name. Don't worry, if you quote me, you won't be banned.

User Info: GabranthXIII

GabranthXIII
5 months ago#37
TrepeGroupie2 posted...
GabranthXIII posted...
TrepeGroupie2 posted...
h_durao posted...
GabranthXIII posted...

You lost your touch...

Hm, you're right. I also forgot good kisser, handsome, funny, smart, good Christian etc.

I haven't slept at all, I'm shattered lol. You should be careful what you post on a Durao topic though, we don't want you reported...

LOL true. Those must be his go to lines when it comes to women. I wonder if he has been using them here as well. Maybe someone can confirm?

I know!!! you've posted tired at least 100 times tonight. Are you worried about me? Awww.....
Person 4 Golden is the greatest video game of all time.
..... I mean Persona 5

User Info: PointyKatana

PointyKatana
5 months ago#38
Oddly enough there's more freedom in turn based combat. Exploration too for that matter.

User Info: YanDaMan263

YanDaMan263
5 months ago#39
It's not so much that we love turn based combat, we like combat that requires some thought or strategy behind it. Most good games that had turn based combat had this.

FF15 has none of this.

Persona 5 did. Most SMT games did. Previous FF games like 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 all did.
LOL @ U

User Info: MagusNotFrog

MagusNotFrog
5 months ago#40
I like Turn-Based combat because I like playing different styles of games. I am currently alternating between THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Breath of the Wild, and PAPER MARIO Color Splash. I'm switching between an Action-Adventure, with RPG elements, and a Turn-Based RPG. Although Color Splash's Turn-Based system feels like an unnecessary bureaucracy, it's still fun. But I think the epitome of a Turn-Based system should be Bravely Default's/Second's. The problem with Turn-Based RPGs is that they can burn fast. What with spending time waiting between turns. It's good for BD/S to include a function to fast forward speed in battle. And not only that, but you can also control random encounters. I mean, they're fun, but they can get old fast. It's pretty much a classic for everyone to mention that they were annoyed by the random encounters with Zubats in Mt. Moon.

To try and summarize my thoughts: I like Turn-Based because they're a different genre of games, thus, offer an unique experience, but they should continue to develop and evolve Turn-Base.
"The NX is our great obsession." - Caius Ballad, FFXIII-2
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why do you like turn based combat?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived