What separates FF 1~6 from other turn-based JRPGs of that era?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. What separates FF 1~6 from other turn-based JRPGs of that era?

User Info: YanDaMan263

YanDaMan263
4 months ago#11
Back in the days the JRPG genre wasnt that popular or main stream. The dedicated fans only recognized SquareSoft as the goto company for good JRPG games which is why FF1-6 got more attention than most, along with Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, whom are also SquareSoft games.

Outside of SquareSoft JRPGs, the best ones of that era were probably Lufia 2, and Earthbound.
LOL @ U

User Info: TGgold

TGgold
4 months ago#12
Oh gosh. I forgot about Lufia 2. My memory honestly has a much more positive reaction to that game than any of the older FFs, honestly!

The fact that it combined using tools and whatnot for adventuring with RPG combat definitely made it a way more immersive experience than most games at the time. Oh, and the capsule monster system. Wow. Reading the Wiki for it is bringing back so many fond memories!

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
4 months ago#13
tonberrymasta posted...
From being in that era, I can tell you that the real reason is that each FF game (even all the way back to FFI on the NES) was always way ahead of its time while the rest of the RPGs were just copying ideas from FF and DQ or playing catch up in story, graphics, gameplay, etc.

DQ was first, and seemed to always have the better, or at least more solid, gameplay, but it tended to play things safe whereas FF games were willing to take risks with the story, graphics, setting and gameplay. FF games would often "set the trend" for what other RPGs tended to imitate at the time which for a "big name" release was something that even today not a lot of games are willing to do. They became famous for having the most sophisticated graphics and story, great music, and fun "new" gameplay experiences.

I do think had DQV (and DQVI), as well as the remakes of DQI-III been localized for the SNES, the series would be more popular.
Don't believe mago's lies.
My DQ Community board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general

User Info: k4r6000

k4r6000
4 months ago#14
Djoser2000 posted...
When you compare the first six games, esp. the S-NES ones with other big turn-based titles of that time (f.e. Chrono Trigger, Lufia II, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound and let's say Tales of Phantasia which is strictly not a TBRPG but still has Random Encounters) it's hard to tell.

Keep in mind that those titles you listed came out years later. The earliest of them was Earthbound which came out in 1994 (1995 in English). Final Fantasy IV came out in 1991. That's a long time to develop a following. Even Final Fantasy VI was out before those you listed.

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
4 months ago#15
I think the pre-VII games aren't bad but over the past decade I feel like they've kind of become footnotes that are more for the enthusiasts.
Clip of the week:
https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyMagnificentElkFrankerZ

User Info: dsaddict

dsaddict
4 months ago#16
A lot of turn-based rpgs from that era had their battles in first person, plus they handled class systems differently, and damage scaling differently. World map exploration was also better thanks to airships (I think Breath of Fire II did something similar).

It really came down to people in Japan wanting to take Ultima and giving it their own creative spin.
"Optimism is Cowardice" Oswald Spengler

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
4 months ago#17
TGgold posted...
Oh gosh. I forgot about Lufia 2. My memory honestly has a much more positive reaction to that game than any of the older FFs, honestly!

The fact that it combined using tools and whatnot for adventuring with RPG combat definitely made it a way more immersive experience than most games at the time. Oh, and the capsule monster system. Wow. Reading the Wiki for it is bringing back so many fond memories!

Lufia 2 was ahead of its time, it had so much innovation, in puzzle design specifically.

Plus the Ancient Cave is pretty much something I'd play as its own game. It was pure genius.
-Thanatos2k-

User Info: Bigpoppapump1

Bigpoppapump1
4 months ago#18
How will ffxv be remembered in 30 years.

User Info: tonberrymasta

tonberrymasta
4 months ago#19
Tiael posted...
tonberrymasta posted...
From being in that era, I can tell you that the real reason is that each FF game (even all the way back to FFI on the NES) was always way ahead of its time while the rest of the RPGs were just copying ideas from FF and DQ or playing catch up in story, graphics, gameplay, etc.

DQ was first, and seemed to always have the better, or at least more solid, gameplay, but it tended to play things safe whereas FF games were willing to take risks with the story, graphics, setting and gameplay. FF games would often "set the trend" for what other RPGs tended to imitate at the time which for a "big name" release was something that even today not a lot of games are willing to do. They became famous for having the most sophisticated graphics and story, great music, and fun "new" gameplay experiences.

I do think had DQV (and DQVI), as well as the remakes of DQI-III been localized for the SNES, the series would be more popular.

It also saddens me that FFV, the best FF game, was never localized here. The failure of the NES jRPGs to catch on in the west I think really hurt both FF and DQ, but it hurt DQ more because there were simply more attempts that they made that failed compared to FF which only released part I here before the SNES.

User Info: donkeyjack

donkeyjack
4 months ago#20
FFV was going to come to the US as FF extreme but that was scrapped.
Your style is fake snake, well-dramatize/You might as well be a singer but ain't harmonize (Harmin' Nas)
http://imgur.com/tyElXOs http://imgur.com/Mxpx3aN
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. What separates FF 1~6 from other turn-based JRPGs of that era?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived