FF Producer: FF8 Rinoa is not Ultimecia, FFVII has nothing to do with FFX

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. FF Producer: FF8 Rinoa is not Ultimecia, FFVII has nothing to do with FFX

User Info: betterThanXIII

betterThanXIII
3 months ago#11
I like how he said the fans put more thought into the writing than the writers. That's been true since at least FFX where the writers really just stopped putting any effort into the writing at all
Still better than FFXIII but what isn't?

User Info: TrueBURP

TrueBURP
3 months ago#12
There's not much to tell, really. It's not an eletronic RPG - it's a pen and paper one, like Dungeons & Dragons. But it's a long, ongoing game, that's about to have its 20th anniversary in a couple years, and has a reasonable ammount of fans. So usually you just want to write up a reference to something - like a tokusatsu show you used to watch as a kid or whatever - into a character or plot thread, and that's it. But then a fan who's read everything in the game comes and says, "wait, is that a reference to that one NPC who show up in that adventure published in a monthly magazine fifteen years ago? Maybe they want to foreshadow something that's about to happen!!!"

Of course it's a different media, but one that has similarities. Final Fantasy is a long series, and it's bound to have things that people think are deep references, but in the end are just coincidences. It's begun a lot more simple than today, with games with no bigger ambition than just keep the company running for another year (there's even that legend about the origin of the series). So not everything is gonna have any deeper meaning than "the writer thought it was a good idea at the time." I think this makes a lot of sense in cases like the Ultimecia/Rinoa theory - it's mainly the fans who want to have a deeper significance behind the villain, but, with my own experience in mind, I doubt the writer ever thought something bigger than "eh, she's just this evil sorceress who wants to compress time." Even the Shinra one makes a lot of sense that way, the writer wanting to put a reference to his own work, with a "heh, maybe he'll grow to create a Shinra company too!" snickering, and suddenly it becoming a whole theory of the games being connected.
SCREAM POETRY...

User Info: h_durao

h_durao
3 months ago#13
TrueBURP posted...
There's not much to tell, really. It's not an eletronic RPG - it's a pen and paper one, like Dungeons & Dragons. But it's a long, ongoing game, that's about to have its 20th anniversary in a couple years, and has a reasonable ammount of fans. So usually you just want to write up a reference to something - like a tokusatsu show you used to watch as a kid or whatever - into a character or plot thread, and that's it. But then a fan who's read everything in the game comes and says, "wait, is that a reference to that one NPC who show up in that adventure published in a monthly magazine fifteen years ago? Maybe they want to foreshadow something that's about to happen!!!"

Of course it's a different media, but one that has similarities. Final Fantasy is a long series, and it's bound to have things that people think are deep references, but in the end are just coincidences. It's begun a lot more simple than today, with games with no bigger ambition than just keep the company running for another year (there's even that legend about the origin of the series). So not everything is gonna have any deeper meaning than "the writer thought it was a good idea at the time." I think this makes a lot of sense in cases like the Ultimecia/Rinoa theory - it's mainly the fans who want to have a deeper significance behind the villain, but, with my own experience in mind, I doubt the writer ever thought something bigger than "eh, she's just this evil sorceress who wants to compress time." Even the Shinra one makes a lot of sense that way, the writer wanting to put a reference to his own work, with a "heh, maybe he'll grow to create a Shinra company too!" snickering, and suddenly it becoming a whole theory of the games being connected.

I have this impression when I read some people trying to explain the lore of dark souls games

anyway, which rpg is this? I wanna read about it
Final Fantasy XII is the greatest video game of all time.

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
3 months ago#14
So nice they confirmed the obvious....
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

TrueBURP
3 months ago#15
h_durao posted...

I have this impression when I read some people trying to explain the lore of dark souls games

anyway, which rpg is this? I wanna read about it

It's called Tormenta. I've written just a couple books for it so far, though, it's a big universe.
SCREAM POETRY...

User Info: GodXII

GodXII
3 months ago#16
Romangelo posted...
FFX and VII connection was confirmed by Nojima, the writer of both games.

No. They just have only thought, but not indeed confirmed that this is straight connection.

If they will add FFX connection to FFVII ist still on debate. Means it will not happen or it will.

User Info: GigantLuffy

GigantLuffy
3 months ago#17
silentoverlord posted...
FFVII has nothing to do with FFX

You might wanna read that one again, he heavily implies it might.

Not that it would matter. The FFX and VII connection is obscure lore that means nothing in regards to each game's plot as they take place in worlds that are lightyears apart. It's more of a harmless "woah that's cool" sort of thing.

TrueBURP
3 months ago#18
He didn't really confirm it, just didn't deny it. Which hey, at least is something.
SCREAM POETRY...

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
3 months ago#19
Rinoa = Ult
In fighting or whatever up there at SE but their is more than enough proof in game in fact the story doesn't even make sense if its not true.. Why in gods creation would the sorceress choose their current moment in time when she has access to all of time. The griever ring and summon not to mention the inverted wings. Why is Adel sealed in space if she could die of old age and in addition why didn't she die of old age
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 months ago#20
The_DOAM posted...
Rinoa = Ult
In fighting or whatever up there at SE but their is more than enough proof in game in fact the story doesn't even make sense if its not true.. Why in gods creation would the sorceress choose their current moment in time when she has access to all of time. The griever ring and summon not to mention the inverted wings. Why is Adel sealed in space if she could die of old age and in addition why didn't she die of old age

"More than enough proof"? There isn't any proof within the game itself, and it is utterly absurd to claim the story wouldn't make sense otherwise. On the contrary, Rinoa being Ultimecia would completely ruin the ending, and I am glad Kitase finally put paid to this nonsense. The Griever ring and summon prove nothing, ditto the wings, and as for Adel it is quite simple: she could and likely would do a hell of a lot of damage before age caught up with her.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. FF Producer: FF8 Rinoa is not Ultimecia, FFVII has nothing to do with FFX

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived