Update to fix FFXV combat Request

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Update to fix FFXV combat Request

User Info: Jutopero

Jutopero
2 months ago#1
Dear Tabata,
I've been a fan of FF for a long time, I've also been a fan of ARPGs since I played my first ARPG as a kid. First of all, I enjoyed your game. I expected much more, but I really enjoyed your game. However as a huge arpg fan, I saw many things during combat that require a fix.

The difficulty:
The game is easy, really easy. You should increase the difficulty, Easy mode should have Normal mode difficulty, and the team should create a new normal and hard mode. Why?? Because the easy difficulty ruins the whole depth of the combat.

Combat depth:
The combat is incredibly deep, with team attacks, link strikes, and weapon combos. The most important aspect of the game is weapon comboing, knowing how to change weapon mid combo to deal massive damage. However as the game is so easy doing weapon comboes is unnecessary so nearly no one does them, and hence they miss the funnier part of the game.

Enemies Staggering:
Enemies will barely stagger, making comboing something annoying, as they will hit the player midcombo without warning, as their attacks are barely signalised. Increasing the stagger an enemy receives when hitting it, would make the game ridiculously easy, so a way to fix this would be making enemies do a sound, or a movement rigjt before attacking, telling the player in a discrete manner (only a focused player on the enemy would notice) that he has to dodge

Item spam:
During combat the player can use a unlimited number of objects, this makes dying nearly imposible, and makes the game extremely easy. To fix this you could limit the number of items the player can use on battle. E.G You can only use 5 items on Prompto, 5 on Gladiolus, etc... This would make combat far more strategic and would make bosses feel like bosses

Dodging:
Explaining which attacks are dodgeable and which ones aren't. I still don't know which attacks Noctis can phase through and which ones he can't. I think AoE attacks cannot be phased and you must warp out of the way by pressing triangle, meanwhile the rest of the attacks can be dodged, however if you keep pressing dodge for certain time, and Noct keeps phasing he would eventually stop phasing attacks, e.g After you dodge 5 attacks you must release the phasing button and hold it again to continue to phase. Explaining all of this in the tutorial would be really useful as I'm just guessing based on my own experience.

I hope my ideas reach you, and you see a way to improve your game.

Kind Regards,
Me (Jutopero)
Off my chair jester, the king sits there.

User Info: EternalWaltz

EternalWaltz
2 months ago#2
The combat is incredibly deep, with team attacks, link strikes, and weapon combos.

What did I just read
'there's gAmes.and then thars gaM3w.it's a lovable character;it's a lovable guy. and he nolan snaked on you. so hard. the snake was in you so hard.'-Proletarian

User Info: 1_Der

1_Der
2 months ago#3
EternalWaltz posted...
The combat is incredibly deep, with team attacks, link strikes, and weapon combos.

What did I just read

The truth, from someone who has not only played the game but taken the time to understand the depth too its combat.
The Ben Shapiro of the Final Fantasy XV Forums.

User Info: WhiteZeus

WhiteZeus
2 months ago#4
I agree about enemy staggering part... Ive never been able to see the full katana moveset cuz i always get interrupted... i havent personally done any complete flurry tbh... except regular sword.

User Info: C-Grape

C-Grape
2 months ago#5
1_Der posted...
EternalWaltz posted...

What did I just read

The truth, from someone who has not only played the game but taken the time to understand the depth too its combat.
Lol!

Jutopero
2 months ago#6
C-Grape posted...
1_Der posted...
EternalWaltz posted...

What did I just read

Lol!

Combat is deep, but it's also soo easy you don't need to explore its depth. I've said my reasons for which it's deep and why so few people notice it, could you please explain why do you think it isn't deep?

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
2 months ago#7
Combat is unsatisfying and not challenging, and I have yet to play the game after finishing the final boss despite having the season pass.

Staggering like you said, needed to be a factor.
Items were mismanaged, and need a cooldown or something so you cant spam them endlessly.
Lack of utility, like the skills from duscae offered. No risk/reward or strategizing which attack to use at each moment, cause they are all the same. Attack with weapon quickly or warpstrike. Its funner in games to decide when to use a diving skill, when to use that charging attack, when to use skill A over skill B, Instead, most times your just doing warpstrikes and back attacking. Its not fun. We need diversity in our attacks like every other action RPG game. The Weapon combo's offer little, but the game needed way more which Dusacae hinted at.
The Ally skills need to be removed. They basically are just free damage with no risk at all since Noctis is immune while it happens, and obviously Ignis skills are easily exploited in the game.
Dodging telegraph, It would be nice if attacks that cant be dodged are etched in a red glow.

I think they intentionally made it so that game was dead easy, cause they didn't have time to finish the battle system, and thought making it where you basically cant die is better than making a hard game barely anyone can finish.
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Best Graphic Novel: Dance of the Sun and Moon

EternalWaltz
2 months ago#8
@ManaYuka posted...
Combat is unsatisfying and not challenging, and I have yet to play the game after finishing the final boss despite having the season pass.

Items were mismanaged, and need a cooldown or something so you cant spam them endlessly.
Lack of utility, like the skills from duscae offered. No risk/reward or strategizing which attack to use at each moment, cause they are all the same. Attack with weapon quickly or warpstrike. Its funner in games to decide when to use a diving skill, when to use that charging attack, when to use skill A over skill B, Instead, most times your just doing warpstrikes and back attacking. Its not fun. We need diversity in our attacks like every other action RPG game. The Weapon combo's offer little, but the game needed way more which Dusacae hinted at.
The Ally skills need to be removed. They basically are just free damage with no risk at all since Noctis is immune while it happens, and obviously Ignis skills are easily exploited in the game.
Dodging telegraph, It would be nice if attacks that cant be dodged are etched in a red glow.

I think they intentionally made it so that game was dead easy, cause they didn't have time to finish the battle system, and thought making it where you basically cant die is better than making a hard game barely anyone can finish.

I don't think Ally skills need to be removed, but they needed to be more seamless.

Picture this: if ally skills didn't change camera angles or give invincibility, it just seamlessly happened like in a Tales game when you tell someone to use a specific attack with a shortcut button.

For instance, maybe one of Gladio's techniques would be that he swings his sword upwards to launch the enemy into the air, so then you can smoothly transition into aerial combos on that enemy for a few seconds. Or Ignis's Mark technique is not automatic, so he just creates warp targets on enemies and then it is your choice when/how to warp between the targets (without mana consumption and with higher damage than normal)

Wouldn't that be so much cooler? It would be more interesting for sure. At least imo.
'there's gAmes.and then thars gaM3w.it's a lovable character;it's a lovable guy. and he nolan snaked on you. so hard. the snake was in you so hard.'-Proletarian

Jutopero
2 months ago#9
ManaYuka posted...

I'm not going to discuss with you staggering or items since both of us have the same opinion on those 2 matters. I also mentioned dodging in my first post, but I think the unphasable attacks are AoE attacks while the rest of the attacks are phasable, I'm not really sure about that though, however, as I already said carbuncle should explain in the tutorial that certain attacks are unphasable and that you must avoid danger in another way, hinting the unphasable attacks (AoE, and attacks in which the enemy grabs Noctis) and also hinting how to avoid those (warping with triangle or sprinting).

As I also mentioned in my first topic, the reason why strategizing isn't rewarding is because the game is too easy. If the difficulty tripled using combos I normally do, (like using the lance attack which was a skill in Duscae, inmediately changing to daggers to use their side attack and quickly move behind the enemy, to then change to a greatsword and use it's charging attack, to deal masive damage as it's also a blindside hit), would be necessary, revealing the game's hidden depth. As I said before the one reason why combat doen't seem deep it's because it's dead easy. A way to make combat more interesting is creating your own weapon changing combos as I just did above.

I do agree with you about techniques, they should definetely be remade so they are not that OP.

Another thing that should be fixed is the camera, I completely forgot about it in my initial post.

EternalWaltz
2 months ago#10
Jutopero posted...

As I also mentioned in my first topic, the reason why strategizing isn't rewarding is because the game is too easy. If the difficulty tripled using combos I normally do, (like using the lance attack which was a skill in Duscae, inmediately changing to daggers to use their side attack and quickly move behind the enemy, to then change to a greatsword and use it's charging attack, to deal masive damage as it's also a blindside hit), would be necessary, revealing the game's hidden depth. As I said before the one reason why combat doen't seem deep it's because it's dead easy. A way to make combat more interesting is creating your own weapon changing combos as I just did above.

They should have put a damage multiplier mechanic or something, that'd be quite fun. E.g. switching up weapons mid-combo would build up a damage multiplier, and then doing a blindside link would do tons of damage but cancel the multiplier so you have to build it up again. Maybe starting the combo with a weapon they're weak to gives a boost to the multiplier, and if they're resistant then it goes down instead.

In return, enemies would have more HP of course.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Update to fix FFXV combat Request

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived