The real problem is that they focused too much on graphics

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. The real problem is that they focused too much on graphics

User Info: alexczas

alexczas
3 weeks ago#1
Don't know why this isn't brought up more often but I think it's the biggest problem of the game.

You look at all the pre-production videos, the world of wonder trailer, hell even the e3 2013 trailer and it seems they are focused on one thing, the beauty of the graphics. They focused too much into making a rock look pretty, that the gameplay and story are just an after thought

This isn't just a problem with Square Enix or Tabata, but a problem with console games and developers in general. They focus too much on making things look pretty when either gameplay and story telling falls flat, or the game is 4-7 hours long.
"Dragons don't like shoes"~me 2016

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
3 weeks ago#2
alexczas posted...
Don't know why this isn't brought up more often but I think it's the biggest problem of the game.

You look at all the pre-production videos, the world of wonder trailer, hell even the e3 2013 trailer and it seems they are focused on one thing, the beauty of the graphics. They focused too much into making a rock look pretty, that the gameplay and story are just an after thought

This isn't just a problem with Square Enix or Tabata, but a problem with console games and developers in general. They focus too much on making things look pretty when either gameplay and story telling falls flat, or the game is 4-7 hours long.

I think they're using Luminous engine (?). Not Unreal Engine 4 or something.
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3

User Info: meteora88

meteora88
3 weeks ago#3
alexczas posted...
They focused too much into making a rock look pretty, that the gameplay and story are just an after thought

There's that and they've got bad leaders/directors too.

I'm sure they're nice folks but the game as it is now speaks for itself.

If they really were that good at their jobs, we wouldn't be needing "story patches" to begin with.

User Info: renegadedriver

renegadedriver
3 weeks ago#4
graphics are always going to be a problem. they are they black hole for any video game being made. the problem is most developers (esp. square enix) focus on this way too much. course the other side of the coin is that most consumers expect really amazing and awesome graphics.

i cant tell you how many professional and youtube reviewers focus on this aspect alone .its ridiculous. gameplay should always come first. then your story if your going to have one. then graphics, audio sound, music, and voice actors (if you need them) come last. but gameplay is the most important aspect. a video game is meant to be interactive media not a movie.

im not saying i dont like good graphics, but if thats all the game has to offer, then whats to keep me interested in it.
aint no rest for the wicked, and money dont grow on trees, i got bills to pay and games to play, unlimited data what i need.

User Info: nfobia

nfobia
3 weeks ago#5
Yes indeed. Also, SE doesn't have any experience with open world games, thus they just followed the trend. "Lets make beautiful big world filled with fetch quests, everyone loves those games now!" and that they did.

Its clear they just run out of time and resources to make more coherent story, or tweak battle system more and balance things. They concentrated too much into graphics and wanking with their new engine.

I dont care about graphics that much, its artstyle and framerate that matters.
H a p y h u u l t e N K u l i n a r i s t I

User Info: Video_G_JRPG

Video_G_JRPG
3 weeks ago#6
renegadedriver posted...
graphics are always going to be a problem. they are they black hole for any video game being made. the problem is most developers (esp. square enix) focus on this way too much. course the other side of the coin is that most consumers expect really amazing and awesome graphics.

i cant tell you how many professional and youtube reviewers focus on this aspect alone .its ridiculous. gameplay should always come first. then your story if your going to have one. then graphics, audio sound, music, and voice actors (if you need them) come last. but gameplay is the most important aspect. a video game is meant to be interactive media not a movie.

im not saying i dont like good graphics, but if thats all the game has to offer, then whats to keep me interested in it.

Agree 1000% with you, came on to say basically what you said but you have it all covered
Visit my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2HLcjMhyys2zymHqPT7JIQ
Click the about section and chat on facebook, tweet me and much more

User Info: Shadecraft

Shadecraft
3 weeks ago#7
Don't forget they were concerned with graphics for a very long time.

Look at other games made the same time, Square always tried to outdo the competitors graphically so their game looked better, and in Final Fantasy 7, that was by far the best graphics in a RPG at the time.

And if we look at how big the game is, the entire game itself fits happily on a single CD, but from the FMVs alone, they had to be broken up onto 3 CDs and the individual filesize is around 400MB for the actual game with roughly 1400MB just for the FMVs.

And they upped their game again in other ones, such as Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy 8, everyone knew if you wanted beautiful looking games, this is who you went to.

(And the entirety of these games also are on a single CD, but are broken up to multiple CDs simply due to the FMVs.)

But as the hardware became more advanced, the better the graphics could be and they were able to put more work into that, and around FF13 they got to the point where the graphics became the central focus and it honestly feels like they spent far more time making the settings look good than they spent on the entire story and gameplay side of things, and the more automated feel of it seems like they thought the player would just be completely and utterly starstruck to the point that they wouldn't be able to even focus on battle because of how how GOOD it looked, so don't worry, they took care of that for you and the game basically plays itself with minimal input from the player.

And speaking of breaking the game up on multiple discs, FF13 was on multiple DVDs for the same reason on the Xbox360.
Everyone look up. See that? That's rock bottom.
We're below it.

User Info: GearZero

GearZero
3 weeks ago#8
You also have to remember how long this game has been in production. When you work on something that long, you begin to create your own flaws. And lose sight of your goal

User Info: alexczas

alexczas
3 weeks ago#9
Shadecraft posted...
Don't forget they were concerned with graphics for a very long time.

Look at other games made the same time, Square always tried to outdo the competitors graphically so their game looked better, and in Final Fantasy 7, that was by far the best graphics in a RPG at the time.

And if we look at how big the game is, the entire game itself fits happily on a single CD, but from the FMVs alone, they had to be broken up onto 3 CDs and the individual filesize is around 400MB for the actual game with roughly 1400MB just for the FMVs.

And they upped their game again in other ones, such as Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy 8, everyone knew if you wanted beautiful looking games, this is who you went to.

(And the entirety of these games also are on a single CD, but are broken up to multiple CDs simply due to the FMVs.)

But as the hardware became more advanced, the better the graphics could be and they were able to put more work into that, and around FF13 they got to the point where the graphics became the central focus and it honestly feels like they spent far more time making the settings look good than they spent on the entire story and gameplay side of things, and the more automated feel of it seems like they thought the player would just be completely and utterly starstruck to the point that they wouldn't be able to even focus on battle because of how how GOOD it looked, so don't worry, they took care of that for you and the game basically plays itself with minimal input from the player.

And speaking of breaking the game up on multiple discs, FF13 was on multiple DVDs for the same reason on the Xbox360.

The thing is, is that they always overestimate the consoles power and end up doing more than they can and ends up cutting a lot of gameplay and story. Even worse, as time goes on it's gonna take longer to make a game with improved graphics and textures which is why VII had more quality to deliver, and if the devs don't change, then we would have to expect interactive movies for many AAA games.

I'll bet you anything that if they made Final Fantasy XV and XII with graphics similar to the generation behind them, it could have had tremondus potential.
"Dragons don't like shoes"~me 2016

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
3 weeks ago#10
I'll always take an anime artstyle like DQ has.
The graphics look great for DQXI and Toriyama's style translates well to the game's artstyle.
And the game doesn't suffer in other areas for it.
But it's never going to focus on the ultra realistic style that FF does.

I found DQVIII a better looking game than FFXII, but it comes down to the artstyle for me.
Courage and wit have served thee well. Thou hast been promoted to the next level.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. The real problem is that they focused too much on graphics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived