Puzzle 47 seems flawed to me

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Ice Gargoyle

Ice Gargoyle
5 years ago#1
This is the mayoral candidate puzzle. The text in the puzzle says the candidate needs more votes than any other candidate to win. While I naturally felt they'd need a majority to win, I ignored that when I read the text. It ended up being misleading and that the candidate did need a majority.
The path to enlightenment is littered with the bodies of the ignorant. - Musashi Miyamoto

User Info: TheGuidingLight

TheGuidingLight
5 years ago#2
It does say that "a candidate must get more votes than any other candidate"

Importantly, it also states (which some players overlook) that you need to work out the fewest number of votes a candidate needs to "secure victory with certainty" (being the least number of votes needed so that it wouldn't matter how the other votes were split)

If a candidate received 14 votes, for example, he could win but this is an insufficient number for the candidate to be certain of victory (since it would depend on how the other votes are split)
Hershel Layton's Crypt
http://hershellaytonscrypt.blogspot.com/

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived