DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11

User Info: GenTR

GenTR
6 years ago#1
I just fired up the game and it gives you the option to run using either Dx 9 or 11. When I ran it in 11, the game was slow as molasses, but with 9 I'm getting close to 60 fps most of the time and this is with everything running on high settings at 1600x900. I was a little worried for a second there when I first loaded it using the recommended Dx 11 and the performance was so bad, but Dx 9 is running great.

But I'm curious why Dx 11 would be so slow...anybody have any ideas? I have Dx 11 on my machine so I would like to use it if possible although the only difference between the 2 that I see in the settings is that there's no anti-aliasing using Dx9.

User Info: XXAMPXX

XXAMPXX
6 years ago#2
Same exact problems

User Info: dudy80

dudy80
6 years ago#3
Dumb question but your card supports dx 11 right? Not sure exactly what graphical differences there would be.

User Info: Rahven2k

Rahven2k
6 years ago#4
^As he said. If your graphics card doesnt support dx11 then it will be sloooooooooow.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who speak binary and those that dont...

User Info: ScorpioVS

ScorpioVS
6 years ago#5
how do you know if your graphics support directx 11?
Dark Defender

User Info: Dragon0283

Dragon0283
6 years ago#6
Best basic rule is if you have one of the newest cards you should have dx11. If not use dx9.
I believe you can check via the 'dxdiag' command.
PSN-Wyvern0283
Currently Playing: WoW, Civ 5

GenTR
6 years ago#7
I ran dxdiag and it says DirectX 11 which is why this is odd. My card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M if that helps.

User Info: canadafrost301

canadafrost301
6 years ago#8
if you have a 400 series card from NVidia or a 5000 series card from ATI then you will support DX 11 otherwise its 10 and lower

User Info: TheKnyte

TheKnyte
6 years ago#9
dxdiag will only tell you what version of DirectX software is installed on your PC. You can have DX11 installed on your PC, even if you don't have a DX11 videocard.

Like someone above said, only the following cards currently support DX11, only the top card support it well:

AMD/ATI:
Radeon HD 5xxx series.

nVidia:
GTX/GTS 4xx Series.

If you have anything else, you don't have a DX11 certified card.

GenTR
6 years ago#10
Well that would explain it..thanks for the info. Like I said, Dx9 looks great and I think the only difference is you can turn on anti-aliasing in Dx11.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived