New Player; Warrior or Guardian.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. New Player; Warrior or Guardian.

User Info: viking7272

viking7272
4 months ago#1
Hi everyone! Never played GW2 before, but I fell into some free time and I thought I would finally check out the game that everyone has been raving about for the past 5 years. I understand GW2 has a more casual end game, but I would still like to participate in all the high end raid bosses. I've decided I'd like to play heavy armor class and have narrowed my pick down to the Warrior or the Guardian. Which one would be more viable for the difficult PvE content. I'm leaning towards Guardian because I feel it fits my personality more, but I don't want to be left out of raid groups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
3DS friend code 2432 2382 8704

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 months ago#2
Warrior easily. Guardian was almost as meta as War before HoT, but when basically every other class got a sweet bit of something new for PvE it just got traps. Which are not usable in high end content at all. Similarly projectile blocking isn't much in raids while Might buffing + banners are amazing in every type of content.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Aureal

Aureal
4 months ago#3
Not true. Dragonhunter traps are quite powerful and guardian is absolutely used in high end content all the time. You're not going to find groups specifically asking for it much, whereas you're never going to have a raid group without at least one warrior, but Dragonhunters are certainly accepted as DPS. Right now it's weaker than it used to be due to the current strength of condition builds, but that'll change soon.

But you're approaching this all wrong, OP. You don't pick one class to play this game as and only play that, especially not if you want to get into raids eventually. A raid group is going to prefer people who have some flexibility, so if you only play one class you're going to have a harder time finding a group, not to mention understanding what others are doing around you.

But most of all, really, just go out and enjoy the game before worrying about raids. You get five character slots to start (and can buy more). Just go make a character and play and see what you like. You're not locked into anything by making a character, you can delete it at any time if you want that slot back for a new one.
Behold the mythical art of quad-wielding and its dodecarrow storm!

User Info: darkhouse999

darkhouse999
4 months ago#4
Aureal posted...
Not true. Dragonhunter traps are quite powerful and guardian is absolutely used in high end content all the time. You're not going to find groups specifically asking for it much, whereas you're never going to have a raid group without at least one warrior, but Dragonhunters are certainly accepted as DPS. Right now it's weaker than it used to be due to the current strength of condition builds, but that'll change soon.

But you're approaching this all wrong, OP. You don't pick one class to play this game as and only play that, especially not if you want to get into raids eventually. A raid group is going to prefer people who have some flexibility, so if you only play one class you're going to have a harder time finding a group, not to mention understanding what others are doing around you.

But most of all, really, just go out and enjoy the game before worrying about raids. You get five character slots to start (and can buy more). Just go make a character and play and see what you like. You're not locked into anything by making a character, you can delete it at any time if you want that slot back for a new one.

This, more importantly it is really easy to level up characters in this game. Especially with the daily objectives and daily login rewards. I just got back into the game after a 2 year break in Feb and I already have 3 new lvl 80 characters and I play fairly casually.
current PC, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PKKv2R
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. New Player; Warrior or Guardian.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived