new expansion.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. new expansion.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
4 months ago#1
And they said there would never be mounts. HAH!

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 months ago#2
To be fair those statements were back when they put Warp Points everywhere. With all of the newer zones they've been giving us other ways to move around instead of them, and thus Mounts make a *lot* more sense. In that line I don't imagine people really using Mounts all that much in older zones (ignoring the "just because they're there" factor), but pretty much from the newest LS and forwards I can imagine them being amazingly useful in getting around when you can't use any Thermal dank/are expected to move a ton vertically/glide.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
4 months ago#3
I played the demo. Mounts are far, far faster than the most mobile chronomancer or daredevil builds. They'll be great for map completion and you don't have to use up a slot for a speed buff anymore.

ellis123
4 months ago#4
I guess, yeah. I wasn't even thinking of using to actually get map completion. I've already done all of the completion that I really ever plan to do with the only exceptions being the hearts... which doesn't exactly jive with using a mount (you lose it far too much in combat for it to be worth turning on). Thus actually *getting* to said Waypoints wasn't my consideration. ~.~
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
3 months ago#5
I think they're handling mounts really well.

- You can't fight on them (although you get a nice, strong opener that hits them and automatically dismounts you for proper combat).
- Each mount type has a special movement gimmick that can access different types of areas.
- Being hit won't automatically dismount you, even though scaling means enemies will always be willing to attack. However....
- However, you can't ride roughshod through everything, because the mount has its own health pool.
- JPs wisely disable them, obviously.
- And many of the kinds of terrain that maps have that would be very unfriendly to mounts still will be, so there are still times where you're better off walking.
- Waypoints are STILL the most efficient method of long distance travel. Period.

So I can get on board with these mounts. Especially as no existing content is going to be modified to require them, so people without Path of Fire should never feel they need it (although seeing people riding around will make many want it, I'm sure!). PoF content and content moving forward will almost certainly integrate it as an essential, but I can hope that only applies to PoF-gated content (like how LS3 was HoT-gated). It doesn't look (based on the demo weekend) like HoT mechanics will be truly required in the desert, so people with PoF and without HoT should be fine. This is the kind of thing I hope they cleave to, going forward.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann

User Info: Zangato

Zangato
3 months ago#6
Another expansion with big world beautiful environments and nothing to do in them -_-

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
3 months ago#7
Nothing to do? Were we playing the same demo? (And that's only 2/3 of one of a promised five zones!)
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann

User Info: Vyrulisse

Vyrulisse
3 months ago#8
Mounts felt really cool. I was suspicious of them until I tried them out but I think it's great. I can't wait to play it already. x.x
http://i.imgur.com/6VeX04D.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEdFxjje7dI

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
2 months ago#9
Hope y'all are enjoying the expansion. They really learned their lessons from Heart of Thorns, there's just so much they did right.

ellis123
2 months ago#10
I've been having a blast for the most part (glitches/crashes being common for me...). About the only complaint I have is awkwardly one of the things I like: the map sizes. The maps are so large you basically never see anyone by comparison to the HoT maps. They really need to up the amount of people per map if it wouldn't make the lag even worse.
My FC is in my profile.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. new expansion.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived