Worth coming here?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Worth coming here?

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
4 weeks ago#1
So I'm not really one for Reddit except if I Google something and it comes up as the answer.

Is this board so dead that my best bet is to Google questions as I have them and hope Reddit has the answers? Just suck it up and learn how to use Reddit?

Just curious the board's opinion on me just getting into this game, I know it's late in release, and wanting to be able to get help for it and/or discuss it as I continue forward.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 weeks ago#2
It is a bit of a catch 22 for the board. No one really talks on the board so when someone comes here trying to talk they end up leaving due to lack in conversation and thus there's no one to really be there for the next person.

As far as joining the game... ignoring the mount drama (which is something that if you came from any other game with microtransactions it would seem ansurd that people are complaining about it) the game is very much in a good spot. PoF brought a solid amount of content and there is a lot of varied and interesting things to do. If you feel skittish just d/l the base game and see how you feel from there. Just keep in mind that while the 1-30 in this game is the best out there period, the mid levels (40-70) are kind've bland in my opinion.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

EDarien
4 weeks ago#3
Thanks for the advice. I get what you mean about the catch 22 for sure.

As far as the game itself, what mount drama?

I'm glad the expansions add to the game. My general rule about a video game is that if I spend $1/hr of enjoying the game, then it's worth the money. Like you said about downloading the base game to try it, I did that. I checked my /age and have over 50 hours already, just leveling my Necro. I'm really enjoying the story and zones, as well. I'm at level 67 and while it took some time to figure out leveling in this game, hearts seem to help more than I was led to think they do for XP, but not as much as events and random world bosses(?) do.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the XPac combo since it's cheaper buying them together than separate. I figure with $50 spent and well over that in just my main leveling, it's worth the price. Especially since I'll get to level the Revenant 'hero class', as well as a few others I've been meaning to try over time.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

ellis123
4 weeks ago#4
EDarien posted...
As far as the game itself, what mount drama?

Mount skins were added to the game at $5 a pop, but it's random which one you get (and you can't dupe). With 30 skins it would cost a lot to get them all and you can potentially spend a lot if you want one specific one. Compared to the costs in other MMOs it's pretty small, but compared to the rather solid shop otherwise it's a notable blemish.

EDarien posted...

I'm glad the expansions add to the game. My general rule about a video game is that if I spend $1/hr of enjoying the game, then it's worth the money. Like you said about downloading the base game to try it, I did that. I checked my /age and have over 50 hours already, just leveling my Necro. I'm really enjoying the story and zones, as well. I'm at level 67 and while it took some time to figure out leveling in this game, hearts seem to help more than I was led to think they do for XP, but not as much as events and random world bosses(?) do.

Haha, sounds good.

And everything levels you very fast in this game. It's really all relative in the end. Something being slow in this game would be the fastest method in most other MMOs.

And yeah, if 50 hours can breeze by that fast for you then I'd say this is a safe buy. It only gets better when you hit 80 and builds really start to take form. :p
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

EDarien
2 weeks ago#5
Just kind of updating, in case anyone still comes here: I got my Necro to 80 and doing the story stuff that comes with that. Good times.

I did make a Guardian which I'm really enjoying and so far Engineer seems okay. I'm really disappointed in how little I care for Elementalist and Mesmer, though. I might end up deleting them to try out a Ranger and/or Revenant.

ellis123
2 weeks ago#6
EDarien posted...
in case anyone still comes here

I'm pretty consistent. (b ' ')b

And grats on the first 80. After a while it's a bit simple to level up, but your first character is always a doozie to actually get to max.

And what do you dislike about Ele and Mesmer? Both tend to be pretty popular classes and generally are considered to be pretty fun (sans Lava Font spamming). It's especially weird considering you mention Engie seeming fine when Ele isn't exactly terribly far from Engie.
My FC is in my profile.

EDarien
2 weeks ago#7
Well, to be fair, my Engi is only like level 7. But with Rifle I at least have the shotgun blast, a couple of reliable CC and decent damage at a far range. Ele, despite being "the mage" seems pretty weak with staff, despite it being the only long-range option. Scepter I just don't like, for some reason. And it plays mid-range, which is similar to my Necro while leveling, but just feels like I'm not doing the damage for how squishy I am. Especially for Dagger which makes me be melee, but still doesn't let me kill quite as quickly as my lack of survivability requires.

I think Necro might have spoiled me some with its survivability compared to Ele, but honestly I'd at least think I'd be doing more damage and I'm not.

Engi, for early levels, seems to be doing decent damage for where I'm at.

Mesmer ... I don't know what it is. Something about it just isn't grabbing me. I got to about 23 and I don't really play him anymore at all. I kind of liked GS at first, but I find it lacking. Not to mention the prep needed for Mantras is weird. They seem to be the "spells" for the class, as far as which tree to invest in, but they require the first cast, then you get 2 casts and back to the buff cast. It's creative, admittedly. I like the concept, but it's just awkward to play for me.

So far I'm still enjoying my Necro, but Guardian (Hammer) is really fun where I might be using my 80 boost on him, honestly. Then I can run his story from beginning to end and go from there.

ellis123
2 weeks ago#8
EDarien posted...
Ele, despite being "the mage" seems pretty weak with staff, despite it being the only long-range option.

Lol, don't tell that to some people online. Staff Ele has been the top DPS for years now. Much of the time it has trivialized other roles to the point that no one but eles were wanted for DPS in raids. It has left many a person quite annoyed. >.>

EDarien posted...
I think Necro might have spoiled me some with its survivability compared to Ele, but honestly I'd at least think I'd be doing more damage and I'm not.

Necro at lower levels is generally much more new person friendly than Ele. It's damage isn't much lower but it's definitely way tankier. That, however, changes a lot when you get to higher levels. Ele eventually almost doubles up on Necro damage after a while. Ele isn't build based, but it is way more so than Necro. Around 45 is when Ele starts eclipsing Necro for damage.

Still squishy as balls though.

EDarien posted...
Mesmer ... I don't know what it is. Something about it just isn't grabbing me. I got to about 23 and I don't really play him anymore at all. I kind of liked GS at first, but I find it lacking. Not to mention the prep needed for Mantras is weird. They seem to be the "spells" for the class, as far as which tree to invest in, but they require the first cast, then you get 2 casts and back to the buff cast. It's creative, admittedly. I like the concept, but it's just awkward to play for me.

Makes sense. Mesmer is the "worst" leveling class for a reason. It is flat out the most build dependant class and is generally viewed as mediocre at best until 65, when you can finally start making serious builds (you finally get you last trait dank). Much of their kit is based around traits/combinations of traits that you cannot have before then.
My FC is in my profile.

EDarien
2 weeks ago#9
Yeah, see that's kind of silly ... That's two entire classes that are "bad" until 45 and 65. That's a LOT of gametime before then.

I'm sure more experienced players can level to that fairly quickly, but as a newer player, I'm probably at about an hour per level up to about level 60 or so. That's a LOT of playtime to invest in a class that just doesn't feel fun for the first 45 hours (of course it depends just how much better its DPS gets compared).

As for Staff Ele being the top DPS. I'm actually kind of happy at that, since it looks like the most fun playstyle of the 3 weapons you can use for Ele. But for open-world/leveling, Staff just doesn't seem to be nearly as good at DPS as Dagger. Maybe I should re-evaluate, but at lower levels (I'm at about 16 I think?) dagger seems to do the most.

ellis123
2 weeks ago#10
EDarien posted...
Yeah, see that's kind of silly ... That's two entire classes that are "bad" until 45 and 65. That's a LOT of gametime before then.

Ele isn't bad at any level. Necro is just disproportionally good. It's the same with Warrior: it's way stronger when leveling than it is at max level (ignoring the unique support aspects). Mesmer is the only one that is extremely trait reliant to be good at what it does. This means it's amazingly flexible at higher levels but means at lower levels it's pretty bland and somewhat weak.

EDarien posted...
As for Staff Ele being the top DPS. I'm actually kind of happy at that, since it looks like the most fun playstyle of the 3 weapons you can use for Ele. But for open-world/leveling, Staff just doesn't seem to be nearly as good at DPS as Dagger. Maybe I should re-evaluate, but at lower levels (I'm at about 16 I think?) dagger seems to do the most.

Dagger is better damage for lower levels, yes. It gets little in the way of "must have" traits until Fresh Air hits the scene (basically you become a thunderstorm... literally ... it's kind've cheesy) but on the flip side its modifiers are generally pretty solid. By comparison Staff starts to get to stack +10% after +10% in bonus damage modifieds until eventually it's insanely potent. Dagger/Warhorn Fresh Air is one of the highest damage specs and Staff is almost a fourth again higher DPS, to put it into perspective.

That being said, Sword/Dagger is preeeetty spiffy for damage on Ele and is the king on small hitboxes.

EDarien posted...
I'm sure more experienced players can level to that fairly quickly, but as a newer player

My average 1-80 leveling time is about a minute and a half, to put just how irrelevant leveling is to me into perspective.
My FC is in my profile.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Worth coming here?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.