Do you need HoT for PoF?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Do you need HoT for PoF?

User Info: Raverbasher

Raverbasher
1 month ago#1
I didn't particularly like the look of HoT, so stopped playing GW2 after it went live.

For a while I've also been annoyed by the lack of mounts in GW2 as well. PoF brings in mounts and is sold separately, which makes me interested. Does not having bough HoT create any handicaps for PoF though?
Our greatest glory is not in never trolling; but in rising every time we troll - Confucius, 0 AD.

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
1 month ago#2
Not especially. There are times where gliding makes things way easier, but it isn't actually a required function and doesn't actually lock anything away. There were some early on bugs if you didn't have HoT but got PoF but I believe those have since been patched.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

Raverbasher
1 month ago#3
ellis123 posted...
Not especially. There are times where gliding makes things way easier, but it isn't actually a required function and doesn't actually lock anything away. There were some early on bugs if you didn't have HoT but got PoF but I believe those have since been patched.

How about elite skills? I'm mainly interested in WvWvW.

Also, what would you suggest boosting to 80 if I got PoF and/or HoT? I currently have a lvl 80 Warrior and Mesmer. I like pwning face, not that interested in support.
Our greatest glory is not in never trolling; but in rising every time we troll - Confucius, 0 AD.

ellis123
1 month ago#4
Raverbasher posted...
ellis123 posted...

Also, what would you suggest boosting to 80 if I got PoF and/or HoT? I currently have a lvl 80 Warrior and Mesmer. I like pwning face, not that interested in support.

The Elite specs are good, but aren't necessarily required to play. There are meta specs in both expansions (the big one you'd be missing out with if you just got PoF would be Chronomancer, which is meta for Mesmer to the point that you basically will not see anyone running anything else unless they lack HoT/are just trying out Mirage) so whichever one you go with you'd end up with the ability to do basically every class in a meta sense (really it's only Mesmer that goes 100% into the "you must have HoT to play this class" level of bias on one towards the other... though I think there is some amount of play as far as WvW is concerned). As far as WvW is concerned PoF is the better of the two easily with many absolutely nutty specs for PvP style content.

As for boosting... that's really your call. If you want to use a class immediately go for it, but otherwise the boosting really isn't going to be a major thing for you. Every class is pretty viable and doubly so as far as WvW is concerned (this is the game where every class gets called cancer at the same time in WvW because of someone getting wrecked by them ~.~) so it really should just be for that factor. I'd recommend Thief or Necromancer if you want to toss in some good face melting classes for WvW, but really it's too much a factor of what you'd actually want to play for me to be able to say much past that.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

Raverbasher
1 month ago#5
ellis123 posted...
Raverbasher posted...
ellis123 posted...

The Elite specs are good, but aren't necessarily required to play. There are meta specs in both expansions (the big one you'd be missing out with if you just got PoF would be Chronomancer, which is meta for Mesmer to the point that you basically will not see anyone running anything else unless they lack HoT/are just trying out Mirage) so whichever one you go with you'd end up with the ability to do basically every class in a meta sense (really it's only Mesmer that goes 100% into the "you must have HoT to play this class" level of bias on one towards the other... though I think there is some amount of play as far as WvW is concerned). As far as WvW is concerned PoF is the better of the two easily with many absolutely nutty specs for PvP style content.

As for boosting... that's really your call. If you want to use a class immediately go for it, but otherwise the boosting really isn't going to be a major thing for you. Every class is pretty viable and doubly so as far as WvW is concerned (this is the game where every class gets called cancer at the same time in WvW because of someone getting wrecked by them ~.~) so it really should just be for that factor. I'd recommend Thief or Necromancer if you want to toss in some good face melting classes for WvW, but really it's too much a factor of what you'd actually want to play for me to be able to say much past that.

Thanks. I think I'll try a Necro out first then boost if I like them. I've been meaning to level one for a while. They were pretty solid before HoT and seem good now. If I do get HoT I'll save the boost and see what I like the look of while I'm playing. Story/lorewise, what's a good race pick for Necro?

Apparently Mirage is a little underwhelming and Chronomancer is the solid pick for Mesmer, so that's a little disappointing.

Deadeye looks interesting but seems like it needs to be a part of the zerg. If I understand it correctly they need to kneel for max damage? Seems like players can just run up and smack them in the face XD

ellis123
1 month ago#6
Raverbasher posted...
Story/lorewise, what's a good race pick for Necro?

There isn't particularly one. They make no point of them in the story and none of the races particularly mention it in lore. About the extent of it would be Sylvari being a bit silly as a Necro (they have a non-standard view on death).

Raverbasher posted...
Deadeye looks interesting but seems like it needs to be a part of the zerg. If I understand it correctly they need to kneel for max damage? Seems like players can just run up and smack them in the face XD

Deadeye is good as a solo roamer. They're more of an assassin than someone that can actually 1v1 normally, though.
My FC is in my profile.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Do you need HoT for PoF?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived