Will I need to play 1 and 2 before playing 3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Will I need to play 1 and 2 before playing 3?

User Info: Figroti

Figroti
9 years ago#1
Sounds like a dumb question, I know. But I was wondering if I needed to play Fallout 1 and 2 to actually understand, or fully enjoy Fallout 3? I've heard nothing but great things about the Fallout games, and would like to check out the third.

Just wondering, because some games *Cough*Final Fantasy*Cough* the numbers are just there because the name sells.

User Info: Calibah

Calibah
9 years ago#2
Since it's (unfortunately) a new developer doing FO3, I doubt it'll have much to do with the previous games other than the setting.

Tho I definitely recommend playing through the first two games anyway, just because they're so good.

User Info: MioMayuMiko

MioMayuMiko
9 years ago#3
It may really depend on your age, not to be condescending, as to whether you should play 1 and 2.

They're great, classic RPGs in the old sense of the word. But they're clunky and archaic looking compared to modern material. I do recommend you at least try Fallout 1. Doesn't take that long to play through, especially if you use a GameFAQ-brand guide!

It's also something to kill the wait time with. Once you see the old-school goodness, you'll understand why many are upset at the change in play style.
War. War never chages.

User Info: Jeff_2121

Jeff_2121
9 years ago#4
Probably not, since this is a new story and stuff.

They might mention things from past games, like FEV and Vault 13, but it won't be a large part of the story.

User Info: mathishard226

mathishard226
9 years ago#5
It might make 3 more fun. If they get the Fallout style right (which they might.... sorta...) there should be a lot of little nuances you'll appreciate a lot more with the first one or two under your belt. Plus, they're just good.
PSNID: MathIsHard

User Info: TwilightChild

TwilightChild
9 years ago#6
I hope we see Harold! And his tree of course.

And by the way, if you need to know anything about Fallout-world check http://fallout.wikia.com
Aye, sea turtles!

User Info: CloudHiro

CloudHiro
9 years ago#7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1dh_y6xPMY&feature=related

well, they say that everybody developing the game are major fallout fans are trying to get all the feel of the origonal games, though through a new methoid of gameplay.. but we'll have to be the judge of that. I for one like the new direction. if they do it right, it'll be great.
This area will self destruct in T minus 10 seconds. Please commence screaming and running around in circles. Have a Nice Day.

User Info: CloudHiro

CloudHiro
9 years ago#8
though, to answer your question, im shure they'll mention the other vaults from the previous games and such, but I doupt there will be much of a impact on story if you didnt play a previous one.
This area will self destruct in T minus 10 seconds. Please commence screaming and running around in circles. Have a Nice Day.

User Info: sneakysnake

sneakysnake
9 years ago#9
I doubt you need to since the developers think of it as a sequel to Oblivion when it isn't.

User Info: Mookeylama

Mookeylama
9 years ago#10
so the first 2 games were on PC only right?
How many fanboys does it take to change a lightbulb?
Ten. One to screw it in and nine to argue about how the old one was so much better.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Will I need to play 1 and 2 before playing 3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived