New player, looking for help.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
  3. New player, looking for help.

User Info: boredofyou

boredofyou
4 years ago#1
Hello,

I've never played any of these games before but after trying this out on chief (easy mode) I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

My questions mostly come from my limited experience so please bare with me..

I can kinda tell that bum rushing the game (single player) is the best method to tackle the A.I. But I would like to try some defensive style strategies. For instance, is it possible to beat this game with a limited amount of cities through wonders or technology? Or is it pretty much all military victory until you decide to camp on what's left of the A.I. and then bust out all the wonders..

I just wonder how doable playing a focused strategy is.. Like only using ships and port towns or only focusing on science etc..
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.

User Info: CyberSmacker

CyberSmacker
4 years ago#2
I love Science and Technology,so I like the Technological Victory.You have to research SPACE FLIGHT and then build the S.S. parts.To build them,simply go to the Buildings section and click on the parts.Then you can launch your S.S. after you have got at least 1 part of each type.After some time(depending on the parts you have attached the time may vary),you reach ALPHA CENTAURI(which is another planet!). Game over,you win!
PSN: RockSmacker
Now Playing:CoD:MW2 on PS3.Mark Of The Ninja & Bastion on PC.

boredofyou
4 years ago#3
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, since that post I've tried quite a few different ways.. It usually does seem to involve keeping military superiority or technological superiority until you can achieve the culture or science victory tho.. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

still a fun game but I wish there was a way to keep the game in the pre modern eras.. They are the most fun to me.
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.

User Info: cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel
4 years ago#4
Hi, I bought this game just recently and got a cultural victory.

At first I was plannong on conquering the world through military but my culture was so vast that all the cities were just converting to my civilization! I was actually about to destroy a city when a great person was born offering to convert the city for me.

I was using the Democracy government so I couldn't delcare war but the other civs kept declaring war on me. On Cheifton difficulty I had tanks taking on pikemen.

I wish this game had a delete unit feature though. My City is piled up with 10 armies and I'd like to get rid of the old musketmen, archers and horsemen and replace them with tanks and modern infantry.
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.

User Info: CurveDot

CurveDot
4 years ago#5
cwjakesteel posted...
Hi, I bought this game just recently and got a cultural victory.

At first I was plannong on conquering the world through military but my culture was so vast that all the cities were just converting to my civilization! I was actually about to destroy a city when a great person was born offering to convert the city for me.

I was using the Democracy government so I couldn't delcare war but the other civs kept declaring war on me. On Cheifton difficulty I had tanks taking on pikemen.

I wish this game had a delete unit feature though. My City is piled up with 10 armies and I'd like to get rid of the old musketmen, archers and horsemen and replace them with tanks and modern infantry.

You can actually demobilize a unit. Simply select the unit and hit "R3". You will get a small amount of gold, depending on the unit (tanks are worth more than a simple warrior unit, obviously).

TC: I always do play on Chieftain (I have owned this game for awhile, but the last time I tried anything higher than Chieftain, I got my ass kicked royally). You can indeed win with a defensive style play. I always do this by only focusing on one city, pumping out science as much as possible at the start then switch to gold when necessary.

Discovering techs first can net you great bonuses. Invention & Monarchy will grant a great person, and Currency will give you a market in a city along with a caravan unit. Only if you discover the technology first, however. For example, you cannot get the Democracy benefits if Alexander is also in the same game, as the Greek civilization automatically has Democracy unlocked.

Also, a cheat that is seldom mentioned on these boards. After you discover Space Flight, you can build an SS Habitation unit, (400 Hammers), then immediately switch the city build to, say Tanks (80 hammers, I believe). On the next turn, the computer will be forced to grant you 400 Hammers worth of units. So on the next turn you could generate five tanks in one turn for one city. This can make a domination victory painfully easy. This trick applies to *all* military units (except Settlers). This cheat does apply to all SS units.

If you do wish to use a defensive style play on Chieftain difficulty, try to pump out as much Science as you can at the start (ignoring military buildup), but always be prepared to build up a defense in the event an AI declares war on you. Remember that Chieftain AI's will mostly focus on military build at the start, so don't go looking for war if you're going to be using this play. AI's will eventually discover techs (possibly earlier than you; Cleopatra *always* Masonry before I can for some reason). However if you allocate your city/cities to one work one specific resource, you can really get ahead fast.

*This strategy only applies to Chieftain difficulty. I have not yet had the courage to take on the stronger, cheaper AI's after my last humiliation.

boredofyou
4 years ago#6
Thanks for the posts! I have done some more work and played a few games on the second difficulty and it is still possible to run one city and have a tech victory or culture.. However, I found naval dominance was almost a requirement.

I do feel the A.I. is brutally overpowered at higher difficulty but mostly because short of me paying them, they won't wage war on anyone but me! This creates a situation where they end up providing resources to one another in an effort to banish my civ from the planet.

This can create situations that can be exploited, if you can figure out which civ is focused on economy and take their best cities by force. Then you can begin paying the other civs to fight each other..

However, this can be quite difficult.

User Info: cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel
4 years ago#7
Thanks CurveDot! You saved me a bunch!

And boerdofyou. The AI is probably not as overpowered as you think. I have Civ 5 for PC and the AI sucks. Changing the difficulty doesn't make the AI smarter, it just gives them more bonuses. For instance. The AI starts out with 3 warrior units instead of one, or has 500 gold instead of none. Sucks IMO.

I just want an on par AI. Even on the "normal" difficulty, the AI in Civ 5 got bonuses. Because the AI was so dumb it couldn't compete with anybody "on par" meant it needs handicaps.

I really like democracy and communism. But I hate that communism stops culture. Which in reality it shouldn't. And what if the people of your country actually WANTED the nation to go to war with another nation? Then you would HAVE to war against your will.
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.

CurveDot
4 years ago#8
cwjakesteel posted...
And boerdofyou. The AI is probably not as overpowered as you think. I have Civ 5 for PC and the AI sucks. Changing the difficulty doesn't make the AI smarter, it just gives them more bonuses. For instance. The AI starts out with 3 warrior units instead of one, or has 500 gold instead of none. Sucks IMO.

This is true. They can have a galley unit sitting near you, and a few years down the line they will have advanced armies disembarking ready to send your civilization into oblivion. You really need to be careful on the higher difficulties. I thought I could do a one city strategy on Deity. Caesar, Cleopatra, and Montezuma thought otherwise, and bombarded my city with Artillery units. Whatever units I conjured up were destroyed immediately the following turn.

The higher difficulty civs are ridiculous. Peace simply doesn't exist, and they downright cheat. Underdeveloped cities will be pumping out Legion armies at the start.

boredofyou
4 years ago#9
Yeah, I have noticed the bonuses during combat. Actually, on chieftain difficulty, you get a combat bonus! However, on higher settings you don't and the enemies do. This is where the A.I. can be brutal. Not because its shrewd or cunning but because, as you say, the difficulty stems from the handicap.. I still hold to what I said though, they really haven't been fighting each other at all!

I've recently been exploring the wonders and their abilities and if you want a lot of game time to build up without the A.I. bugging you, I advise building the great wall wonder. This forces any other civ that does not have the engineering tech to ask you for peace! It lasts until they get engineering too.

However, should you attack another civ, they will disregard the great wall wonder from then on.
This makes it perfect for building up cities and gathering resources for something other than a military victory.

CurveDot
4 years ago#10
Downloading the Wonders DLC can help a bunch as well. Not sure specifically, but one of them includes the Great Lighthouse wonder which will allow your Galley to venture through deep water. It will also provide all ships with one extra move, making the Cruisers in the later game even more effective.

Nothing like traveling to the enemy continent in two turns and wiping them out where they stand.

That is my favorite play. In the event of war, I go on the defense and slowly build up a powerful enough army to take their capital. Usually shuts them up for a few turns.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
  3. New player, looking for help.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived