THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

User Info: lonewolf1264

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#61
hmm not sure what a "rouge" wave would look like. Trying to picture a blushing wave, lmao. Yep new creatures merfolk, maybe as a playable race? I think it'd be neat to play a race similar yet different from argonions. I'm kinda picturing a altmer or breton in the role, but I'm open to any race as a playable hybrid. Kraken whales sharks giant turtles? Lol maybe as possible mounts??
Tridents nets and so on. Spells as you noted, plus say a size increase, so you could create your own giant mudcrab or slaughterfish. Manage winds maybe create tsunamis whirlpools ect.
The author David Drake, who writes mostly military sci-fi, has also wrote a lot of fantasy stuff including a series called the lords of the isles. He went into a lot of magic use by seafaring clans. To create wind calm seas tell of approaching storms ect. Women were usually the ones with the greatest skills in these areas. And captains of the ships as well.
Ships sure from small fishing to viking longboats, to the hugest ships of the line. You could have followers shooting arrows or using greek fire. Or an undead army or daedra/dremora, casting fire or sending out a "shockwave" spell.
Ships like "galleys" are boats using both oars and sails. Usually fast and manuverable, they had limited cargo capacity. They also usually have shallow draft meaning they could be used in fairly shallow waters. Sometimes waters only a couple of feet deep. Bigger ships need deep harbors, piers ect. They can hold a lot more, but needed more masts and more sails, and of course more crew.
So maybe you can pick a ship like a character class, say fisherman gets you a simple ship. As you progress options become available for bigger ships and you go from fisherman to whaler, to say monster hunter. Raiders get another type of ship, traders another. And maybe there is say a defender of the city realm whatever, that gets you a bonifide war type ship. You could hunt pirates keep the peace,ect lots of options for any path. Prehaps you can change your choice, at some point or at a number of points, allowing you to experience both say pirate and pirate hunter.
I think options too like choosing a city as a base or your own island to make it into fortress are a good idea. Maybe a fortress build a lighthouse, maybe a trading post. Maybe get contracts to build ships for others.
So many new options would open up for gameplay with ships. So many possible questlines. Here's a tidbit, young fisherman reeling in his net, finds a sword armor, hell a message in a bottle, and this leads our character off on glorious adventures. Hell the message in the bottle could be introduced into the game as is. It could lead you to treasure a hidden ship anything!
Lol it isn't really far fetched. There is an abandoned boat on the ohio river, I believe near cincinati, just siting there rotting away. Yahoo runs the story a few times a month. Or just think of all the sunken ships around the world. You could bring treasure hunting into a storyline or get a retrieve a item from a sunken ship for whoever. Or attempt to raise and rebuild some world reknowned ship.
Anyways any more ideas?
No matter where you go there you are

User Info: radial200

radial200
1 year ago#62
I'd like to blame my spelling issues on auto correct, but I don't use anything like that. So......

Anyway, more ideas. As far as ships, specifically, nah. I think you pretty much covered it. However, I like the new races idea. I think that their should be new playable races from sea, air & land. Maybe even under land. Let your imagination run wild with that.

Back to the sea though, I imagine under water kingdoms. Warring nations beneath the waves. Perhaps each with their own signature mounts, beasts of burden & pets. New species of creatures too. Sure, since we have a lot of earth like flora & fauna on land, we should have that idea mirrored in the sea. However, we need to add some more bizzare, alien flora & fauna to all areas of the game too. I hate to keep bringing up Morrowind, but the designs in that game were great. All of the buildings, creatures, everything had an alien looking design. It was just familiar enough that you felt at home? I guess, but just bizzare & alien enough to make the game feel unique. Sort of a medieval bizzaro world. So, yeah. Since, as far as I know, there's no ES lore that precludes a vast under water kingdom or kingdoms, I figure that it's open waters & smooth sailing for us to create some.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#63
Yes why not by jove!
I wonder if ES will ever venture there? From a mythological or fantasy standpoint, there is so much that they could touch on. We have a unicorn, mentions of dragons, so why not go further? The old D&D game had dragons good and evil. There are pegasi ect ect. Evil flying things like harpies, one d&d style game had winged humoniods.
Ok so sea creatures sea anomomes giant ones sort of ike will o wisps. Various forms of rays, sea horses and so on. Maybe some wierd magicial based twists on humans or any race and argonions? Some long lived elven/altmer type race, also comes to mind.
Maybe some outcast mage who experimented too much on sentient beings created a underwater home far from prying eyes. Sorta like the necromancy backstory. Hell we could have a bad person creating undead underwater armies, and a good one using the other probably outcast crossbreds in an effort to control the sea.
Maybe even bring in new/old forgotton gods or daedric princes. Even maybe a storyline of the gods of the deep and underworld challenging the gods of the air and land? I think we should have our characters picking some divine being as a patron, and for this devotion, are granted lesser n greater powers like doom stones. Modified maybe by character class. Along with a pledge to patron might come new quests. This would give us unique skills only available in a single game. So there is another perk to replay the game. Maybe a unique weapon armor whatever comes along with pledging yourself to one of these higher powers. Like the dagger of woe. We should have several choicee of both good and evil.
Hmm got off point, yah really vivid underwater things like coral reefs, or really stark ominious underwater caves. Maybe places so dark you must have night eye or something similar just to move around. Maybe make a magic creation spell or alchemy concoction that makes glow sticks?
You could have armor/weapons made from bones teeth skin coral shells. A turtle shell shield or armor, giant clam as well. These things might well function on land too. Got images in my head hard to put on paper. Maybe some places look normalish, and then you have a SI vibe of everything gone bizzaro. When you think about it much of SI is aquatic, grumites balrogs n so on, so maybe we have a normal underwater world. And then bizzaro one only accessed thru the SI?
Anyways lets hear more of yout ideas, and don't worry about spelling I'm not using spell check so I know I'm often wrong with my letters

radial200
1 year ago#64
Well, there's always a lot of weird things in the depths, right here on earth. So, no shortage of imagery there. Bioluminesent creatures, odd & unique hunting strategies & behaviors....... fasinating stuff.

Anyway, Yeah, we could have a battle of the gods of the elements. Or maybe one of those sad love stories, where they're all tragically kept apart. The godess of fire & the god of the water are in love, but can never be together, because of the actual nature of fire & water. Tear jerking stuff...... Ah, f##% it, let 'em fight!

As for the lore of the sea kingdoms, I was thinking that maybe they were the first sentient races. Don't know enough about ES lore to know if that's possible, but it sounds good to me. So, I figure that the earliest races would be more basic in design & the newer races would be more complex & more closely resemble their land based kin. So, the older races are more like octopi or squid. Then the somewhat newer ones are like lobster like the ones from Morrowind. Can't remember their name & as usual, I couldn't spell it even if I could. Finally the ones that are newest are more semi-aquatic. With human like arms & legs. These would be the playable races. Sure they can retain aquatic features like scales, fins, webbing, but can never the less be functionally human. Just trying to give you an idea of where my minds at. Not actually suggesting a talking squid. These are just a starting place for designs.

As far as caves & things, I'd imagine the water ways somewhat similar to on land. There'd be kelp forests & general wilderness. Caves, ruins & dungeons to explore. With the added benefit of darkness, as you mentioned. Plus water depths & pressure. Cold. Maybe some of that could be addressed with racial bonuses &/or doom stones. I'm also thinking a weakness to shock should be in here too. Since water conducts electricity. Maybe not all of the races, because of electric eals, but at least one race should have it.

Also, enemy variety & attack types would need expanded upon. I think they're called angel fish, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they hide on the sea floor, covering themselves with sand. Then when a fish swims by, they pop up,open their huge mouth & suck that fish in like a hoover. Terrifying. Also, back to the caves, remeber in SW when they land the Falcon in the "cave" on the astroid? Yeah, you know where I'm going.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#65
I like it! Keep it going, yahh kelp or sea grass beds for forests coral reefs maybe for mountins? The eel idea is good, squid n octipi have ink to blind jellyfish have a nasty sting.
Why not a sentient squid whale turtle shark dolphin or some such? I think it could work, will ponder it a bit.

radial200
1 year ago#66
Yeah, visual design would need to be handled with care. Since we're under water, vibrant colors will be dulled a bit. Bah. Let the programmers worry about that. Anyway though, the closer you are to shallow waters, the brighter & more vibrant everything is. The deeper the water, the darker & more ominous everything is.

Now, I had some thoughts on races. Not sure that we can really do much with Birth Signs, because that's already established lore. As for starting stats, I'd use the Oblivion races as a starting point. A few racial options for Combat, Magic & Stealth. Plus a few in between races. Stats spread accordingly to their vocation & their focus on either the offensive or defensive versions of their vocation. It's in the area of racial bonuses, that I feel we have some room to manuver. So, I think you already mentioned night eye & detect life. I think that we should add all possible effects to the list. Of course if we come up with new stuff along the way, then great, but for now, we have a starting point. Basically, I think that combining what we know about the creatures in earth's waters & the various effects in the game, will give us some good ideas. Like parasitic species might have Absorb Health. That kind of thing.

Oh, & I don't know how, but we need to figure out a way to let our PC sneak, while under water.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#67
sneaking underwater..... well I'm thinking some combo of silence or chamelon maybe some new illision based spell that causes a distorted view of you or a sound throwing ability?
Some other new abilities like a blinding flash, maybe combined with a lightning flash or bolt, would be nice.
A jellyfish mutation could gove us a health draining creature. All kinds of things are possible if we have a wizard creating sea mutations. Or a necromancer doing the same thing to various sea creatures.
I agree that in deep waters colors would be muted, but in shallower waters say under 50 ft, I'm picturing lots of colors.
Now where to next?

radial200
1 year ago#68
Well, I was just thinking that a Stealth based race needs to be able to employ their main talent anywhere. Including under water. Some how.

You know, I was just thinking. How terrifiying an octopus warrior would actually be.

Anyway, where to...... no idea. Underground? Skyward? Add weapons? New mechanic for something? Think of something that interests you & we'll kick it around a bit.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#69
octo could indeed be interesting. Multiple weapons shields spells lockpicks, lol even hold your best octa girl on a tentacle at the same time.
Yes the sound thing I've been thinking about on terms of undersea, still nothing new there from me. Been thinking on the undersea use of spells n weapons too. Armor especially heavy would have it's uses IF, we assume our hero wants to fight on the sea floor.
Now weapons/armors.... I harken back to an earlier ES age. To morrowwind, to be precise you mentioned before bone armor/weapons. (I hope soon to play with things myself). I'm thinking not just having the bone stuff, but bone stuff with built in racial traits, resistances, bonuses whatever! Troll bones with say a strength n health regen bonus. Maybe a underfryke variant with chamelon? Maybe something to give you flight, sea bones water breathing, let your imagination go wild.
You could even bring the necromancers or some undead whorshipers into the mix, trading hording whorshiping the bones or the ones wearing using them. Could be the beginings of a new cult. Lol figure out the complexities of making the bone warriors permanent guards followers ect. A huge blackish market in trading the best bones at the very best prices, too do the greatest or most foul of deeds. I think it'd be great to have a shamble follower or go the flesh route. Very macabe but think a gatekeeper follower or having the skin of someone wether for armor use or some serious dark stuff. Think of the mischief possible! Anybody you killed or that has died recently get thier skin and impersonate them. Ha ha he who should not be named ain't got nothing on me!!!.
Hmm that brings up vol-de-morties hiding bits of his soul in things to prevent dying. Again sounds probably necromantish but might be worth thinking on. Again I'm thinking throw so much at a player so there isn't any chance not even .0000000009 that anyone can do everything in one game.
Speaking of things what do you think of lvl limits equipment restrictions and so on for characters the gear everything. I'm really looking for opinions there about those things in our wide open world.
Anyway thats it for now have new laptop have elder scrolls anthology, sadly laptop does not have the cd/dvd ect drive I thought came with it. So yet a few more days wait till my external drive gets here

radial200
1 year ago#70
Quick thoughts. The flesh suit has an implication of magic bonuses to my mind. So, armor limits the effectiveness of your spells. Clothes, mage robes don't. So a skin suit could be either a very light armor or considered clothing. Either way, a I see it as a magic type of gear. Either the equivalent of a mage rob robe or an armor set that has a slight defense bonus compared to other armors, but only reduces magic effectiveness by.... 1% or something like that. Anyway, I believe that it should give a hefty bonus to dark magic. Maybe even a negative to light magic to balance it? So our necromancy & whatever other "dark magic" catagories we'd want to add like curse magic or similar "evil" magics. Then maybe the regular magics, already in the game or at least some of them have a greatly reduced effectiveness. Equivalent to a heavy armor reduction

The bone armor ideas are interesting. Keep it going.

As far as a level cap & or armor restrictions..... IDK. We're both D & D fans. So, yeah, I'd be fine with that, but would the demographic? IDK.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived