Newcomer to the game, first impressions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. Newcomer to the game, first impressions

User Info: Sedated Cricket

Sedated Cricket
1 year ago#1
I picked this game up a week ago when I was out and about at a different mall I don't normally find myself in checking out the EB Games there (I'm in canada) and finally found a copy of this sitting on the shelf, I'm also pretty late to the previous gen stuff seeing as I only just got a ps3 spring of last year but I remember a friend of mine back in the day when this was all current gen still that he was giving nothing but accolades for this game so it had kind of always been on my radar and even more so ever since I finally did get a ps3 17 months ago.

But the game itself is pretty awesome a great project that shows Sega still has some heavyweight production going on, and I'm a long time die hard sega fan as a child was playing master system before I understood what video games are and there was no looking back once I later got a genesis for xmas. Gave me some serious flashbacks of Radiata Stories though which is another fan beloved game albeit from completely different developer. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the story is analogy for pre world war 2 with conflict revolving around access to valuable resources much like how oil is in real life.

One thing I thought was strange though was how Isara is the tank pilot and weapons operator yet Welkin becomes the Lieutenant of the squad. She does all the work while he issues orders and basically just goes along for the ride yet he gets all the recognition because he is the son of Gunther. Shouldn't ones place of command and authority be based on merit? Also there felt like a continuity gap from the outskirts of Bruhl mission to suddenly defending the capitol in the Vasal Bridge siege. Like even some small narrative or dialogue about how we must get to the capitol to reconsolidate our forces and help the fleeing refugees from other possible attacks or something like that would have been enough but as it is it felt like "we are here" one moment and then suddenly "we are over here" across the entire region of the map doing something completely different without explanation letting the refugees fend for themselves. Some mostly nitpicky stuff I know but I couldn't help but notice it.

But besides that it really seems like a gem of a game with compelling and intuitive gameplay I already unlocked Emile and enjoy the sniper units quite a bit already, it's too bad I'm so late to the party would have been cool to be around this board back in the day when things were still poppin.
just play the game... worry about your sanity afterwards ~riddlebox89

User Info: trumpet205

trumpet205
1 year ago#2
Sedated Cricket posted...
One thing I thought was strange though was how Isara is the tank pilot and weapons operator yet Welkin becomes the Lieutenant of the squad. She does all the work while he issues orders and basically just goes along for the ride yet he gets all the recognition because he is the son of Gunther. Shouldn't ones place of command and authority be based on merit?

Read the personnel profiles in game. It offers insights into the characters and settings.

Also there felt like a continuity gap from the outskirts of Bruhl mission to suddenly defending the capitol in the Vasal Bridge siege.

You sure you are paying close attention to the story? Earlier missions involving Vasel Bridge is about re-capturing the bridge which had been taken over by the Imperial force.

Missions that involve defending the capital took place much later in game.

User Info: mistersanders

mistersanders
1 year ago#3
One thing I thought was strange though was how Isara is the tank pilot and weapons operator yet Welkin becomes the Lieutenant of the squad. She does all the work while he issues orders and basically just goes along for the ride yet he gets all the recognition because he is the son of Gunther.

It might seem odd because we consider tanks so "small," but for a tank, the Edelweiss is quite big; if you compare it visually to other Gallian tanks in the game (Zaka's included), it's the only one that big--and, like Jaeger's tank, is a class-specific "unique unit." We don't have anything comparable in current technology, because it isn't WW I anymore, but for me, I accept the game's mechanism for Isara's inclusion because the role she plays is hardly tank driver; without her, the entire narrative of the Princess, the Darcsen calamity, the turnaround in main squad members' racism, the tragedy at the Fauzen labor camp--Isara is a framing device that connects the player directly to what would otherwise seem like heavy-handed moralizing and whitewashing about the racial element of the narrative.

Like even some small narrative or dialogue about how we must get to the capitol to reconsolidate our forces and help the fleeing refugees from other possible attacks or something like that would have been enough but as it is it felt like "we are here" one moment and then suddenly "we are over here" across the entire region of the map doing something completely different without explanation letting the refugees fend for themselves. Some mostly nitpicky stuff I know but I couldn't help but notice it.

I think the game takes care of this rather simply, if not oddly--you are Squad 7, a militia infantry, not proper national Army for Gallia (hence General Damon's classic JRPG attitude of the superior who clearly doesn't deserve his position who you still tolerate with a $h!t-eating grin). It may SEEM like you do all the heavy lifting against the main foes, and, well, you do--but in the panel pieces, you are constantly described as one prong of a multi-front attack, not Gallia's one last ragtag hope. This does feel a bit odd after a while--sending the militia as an emergency stop-gap to Bruhl or giving them a shot to break the supply line at Kloden doesn't really meet the gravity of having the task of taking down the Marmota, retaking Ghirlandaio single-handedly, or being the ONLY ones to confront Maximillian, the psychopathic science-created superhuman/cautionary tale. Of course, given the fact Squad 7 consistently punches above its weight on the battlefield, Gallia would be foolish NOT to utilize them more than small-scale nonsense equivalent of "stop hitting yourself! stop hitting yourself!"--hell, the Marmota plows directly into the royal palace. Somewhere around when Squad 7 retakes Vasel Bridge (the main refugee and supply path for Gallia's capital) the military decided beggars can't be choosers. I'm fine with that, personally, though I do understand how that disconnect could affect your attachment to the story.

Just remember that the game is essentially a well-developed mash-up of capture the flag and rock-paper-scissors, with a very interesting story overlaying it all. While the battles are strategic and engaging, take the time to watch or re-watch all the panels, and buy Ms. Ellet's extra content to get a deeper look at your squad. Engage all aspects of the game, and you'll definitely get your buddy's sense of how great and layered the game truly is.

Happy hunting, and victory to Gallia!

User Info: Ceri_Cat

Ceri_Cat
1 year ago#4
Crew commanders rarely do a lot of heavy lifting in a tank situation, a tank the size of Edelweiss would usually have a crew of 4-6 people, driver, gunner, loader, commander, radio operator (being a command vehicle this is more common) being the major roles you'll find in a tank even an M113 APC has a minimum crew of 2 though you'll usually see 3 or 4 in an Australian M113AS4 with the command vehicle variant the M577 having a crew of 5. It actually amused me the first time I finished that first battle with the Edelweiss that Martha managed to give birth safely in the confines of the cabin, tanks are nearly always cramped.
What you don't seem to quite get is beyond the fact Isara is a Darcsen (the setting's equivalent of the Jews which is significant to the story) and a mechanic/engineer is Welks is actually already has officer training (while Isara is only a NCO officially a Corporal putting her a step under Alicia rank wise and while NCOs can gain brevet officer ranks it's very uncommon even in wartime) as referenced in the first cutscene featuring the captain and her other squad leaders, and his acquittal during the Bruhl missions was superb, and his talent as a commander is actually impressive in universe he's treated with nearly the reverence his father was as a hero of Gallia (at least until people get to know him, he appears in VC2 occasionally which sort of accentuates his eccentricity). It's actually fair enough if you treat the outcome of the game as read he only suffers one or two notable losses (assuming you don't get your whole squad killed off, but I won't spoil who the storyline deaths are).
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. Newcomer to the game, first impressions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived