Just finished the game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. Just finished the game

User Info: OfficialAce-Kun

OfficialAce-Kun
9 months ago#1
Damn that was a really good game. I barely played any games last year and if I did I barely spent any time on them. I really focused on this one.

How do 2 and 3 hold up? Them being on PSP is kinda worrying to me, in case it ends up a gimped game like MGS Peace Walker felt on PSP.

Also is there any point to doing the Edy Detachment and Selvaria missions? Do they give me anything useful for a second playthrough?
Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say
Chained to all the places that he never wished to stay

User Info: Busard

Busard
9 months ago#2
VC2 and VC3 are indeed limited by the PSP, and they are full of filler (quantity over quality).

VC2 is especially bad because it has less map variety (you will do and redo the same small maps over and over), the characters are less likeable (especially the main character), the story isn't helped by the setting (which uses the VC1 anime as canon over the VC1 game) and the balance is just horrible.

VC3 is a little better. It's worse than VC1 in many aspects due to the PSP but it has enough new stuff and some/most of VC2 flaws have been corrected (or at least lessened). Some things are worse, some are better and in the end, it's an enjoyable experience and good game in its own right.

Edy Detachment (the single battle accessible within Extra in the main menu) is fan-service only, there is nothing to gain except scenes involving side characters you may (or may not) like.

Selvaria has a little bit of background story involving Selvaria (very little) and an ace (someone you probably murdered without giving it a second thought) and it can reward you the Ruhm (the machine gun she uses on chapter 15b).

User Info: OfficialAce-Kun

OfficialAce-Kun
9 months ago#3
Busard posted...
VC2 and VC3 are indeed limited by the PSP, and they are full of filler (quantity over quality).

VC2 is especially bad because it has less map variety (you will do and redo the same small maps over and over), the characters are less likeable (especially the main character), the story isn't helped by the setting (which uses the VC1 anime as canon over the VC1 game) and the balance is just horrible.

VC3 is a little better. It's worse than VC1 in many aspects due to the PSP but it has enough new stuff and some/most of VC2 flaws have been corrected (or at least lessened). Some things are worse, some are better and in the end, it's an enjoyable experience and good game in its own right.

Edy Detachment (the single battle accessible within Extra in the main menu) is fan-service only, there is nothing to gain except scenes involving side characters you may (or may not) like.

Selvaria has a little bit of background story involving Selvaria (very little) and an ace (someone you probably murdered without giving it a second thought) and it can reward you the Ruhm (the machine gun she uses on chapter 15b).

The Selvaria missions will be good for New Game Plus then.

I may just play VC2 for like a couple of hours and then just go onto to 3.
Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say
Chained to all the places that he never wished to stay

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
9 months ago#4
The worst part of VC2, aside from the qualms already voiced about the high school slice-of-life anime setting, is the need for randomly awarded credits, certificates, diplomas, and materials. Your characters can't rank up to higher tiers until the RNG gods favor them with specific macguffins. The same goes for materials used to upgrade your tank or equipment.

All the types have different tiers too, that have to match. E.g. there's normal, X, II, and X II version for some of the character upgrades while materials have types A, B, C, and D alongside levels 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, IIRC.

So there's a lot of grinding as you go further into the game. It's a shame because the side vignettes to learn more about your classmates was a nice touch. It fit well with the PSP format too, since you wouldn't have a lot of dedicated cutscenes like the main cast got in VC1. The other nice thing too is that you can assign some of your officers. E.g. if you like Edy's sister Anisette you can eventually make her an officer and she'll mention deploying the Anisette Detachment at the start of a fight. Personal tangent: I couldn't stand Edy but her sister is fun.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. Just finished the game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived