The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

what's the point of the recruits with pretty much all negative potentials?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. what's the point of the recruits with pretty much all negative potentials?

User Info: GateOfDestiny

GateOfDestiny
3 months ago#1
Is it just there to make the good ones shine even more or flavor?
And how do you make others learn more potentials, just use them more or what?
Hentai = Art
"Its all about love, friendship and courage! - Laguna, FF8

User Info: SenorGauntlet

SenorGauntlet
3 months ago#2
Filler, mostly. Or replacements I guess if you play really sloppy.
Potentials are learned by 1) leveling the respective class and 2) gaining 5 points with a character iirc. I don't remember all the ways to earn points, but it's something like killing an enemy leader unit is 1 point, capturing a base is 2, calling a med evac is 5, etc.
strike a pose
http://i.imgur.com/logkNxA.gif

User Info: LovableTraitor

LovableTraitor
3 months ago#3
A lot of the negative potential heavy seem to be an attempt to balance certain battle potentials. The problem is the developers seemed to over value some potentials, which make it seem arbitrary. For example, every Shocktrooper with Phoenix gets slammed by negative personal potentials.

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
3 months ago#4
LovableTraitor posted...
For example, every Shocktrooper with Phoenix gets slammed by negative personal potentials.

Well, Phoenix is a "revive" skill and those traditionally get overvalued by developers.

I'd much rather go with Full HP Recovery, which is found on good units like Jane and Lynn. Jane in particular shines in the early game because she has Fearless Will. Undercover Fire means you can also do squats near sandbags and trenches until the attack boost procs.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: Porcupine

Porcupine
2 months ago#5
It's been ages since I've played but I think each character has invisible stats like aiming, dodging as well as visible HP differences. So a character with only bad potentials might still be good if they have good stats.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles
  3. what's the point of the recruits with pretty much all negative potentials?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived