gamespot !!!!! 5.5 !!!! you guys are crazy !!!!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Backbreaker
  3. gamespot !!!!! 5.5 !!!! you guys are crazy !!!!

User Info: Systemaddict

Systemaddict
7 years ago#31

The hating on Madden is one thing, and by all means go to it, but it has nothing to do with the rating for this game.

Backbreaker is not a finished product, it's not a good release and it's nothing more than a budget title that should have been sold for $29.99 day of release. Physics are impressive, but that doesn't make up for the terrible lack luster graphics and unispisred gameplay features. Furthermore, hits are not the only element of football yet it seems that's all Backbreaker cares about.

It's cool though - have fun with the game. But why get all up in arms over the review? If you think the score has anything to do with the reviewers needing to make sure "EA doesn't get mad" then give your head a shake. The game deserves the across the board middle of the road reviews it's getting.

And that's from someone that's played every game through a 32, 16 and 8 team seasons.

User Info: ilikecheetos

ilikecheetos
7 years ago#32

how is this game an unfinished product? seems complete to me. i havnt played so many games back to back in a very long time....29.99? come on man, thats just going overboard. the more i play it, the more i want to bump up my review score. started with 7- 7.5 but now i feel 8-8.5....the passing and over throwing is the biggest obstacle to over come, which takes longer than several games(10 days for me)

User Info: Garviel_Lokan

Garviel_Lokan
7 years ago#33
Just throwing this out there but a lot of people forget that on a scale from 1-10 a 5 is average.... some how everyone things that for some reason 7 is average and how everyone came to this conclusion is very confusing lol.
To this day.... we still dont know...... WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?!?

User Info: bogart69

bogart69
7 years ago#34

5.5 may be generous.. There are way too many things wrong with this game. You shouldnt have to force yourself or turn a blind eye to the faults to like a game. And thats what many of the people who now like the game have done..

User Info: Garviel_Lokan

Garviel_Lokan
7 years ago#35
lol well the amazingly high ratings in ea sports games must have a lot of cash in the opposed direction because it could be argued that the guys rating those games are blind also.
To this day.... we still dont know...... WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?!?

User Info: billoose

billoose
7 years ago#36

Just throwing this out there but a lot of people forget that on a scale from 1-10 a 5 is average.... some how everyone things that for some reason 7 is average and how everyone came to this conclusion is very confusing lol.

Average is a kind word. Gamespots rating of 5.5 is considered mediocre. Which is exactly what Backbreaker is, mediocre at best. Here is the full definition of 5.5 on Gamespot's site:

5.0-5.5: Mediocre
A 5-range score refers to a game that's "merely average" in the negative sense. These games tend to have enough major weaknesses to considerably outweigh their strengths. There's probably a substantially better, similar game out there for you.

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/reviewguidelines.html

And do yourself a favor, when someone makes a comment about Backbreaker, try not to bring EA and/or Madden up. When someone says Backbreaker is bad, that's what they mean. Not Backbreaker is bad compared to *insert game here*.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's try. Backbreaker's camera is horrible and makes the game nearly unplayable. The camera swivels uncontrolably when you switch defenders, and there is too much of a blind side when you are the QB. The "god mode" camera has been used countless times in all sports games and works great with all of them. I understand they want to give you a realistic feel of the game, but not having fatigue and injuries contradicts what they were trying to achieve in regards to realism. Not including different camera options was a bad move and the game deserves what it got, and IMHO, it should be lower. Go.

User Info: nitromuffin

nitromuffin
7 years ago#37

the game isnt very good, the ai is horrid they throw way to many pics, the blocking for the o-line is terrible and the playbook and everything is horrid, no hout routes and such, it was a big waste of my money, i just traded it back to gamestop

User Info: Systemaddict

Systemaddict
7 years ago#38

ilikecheetos posted...

how is this game an unfinished product? seems complete to me. i havnt played so many games back to back in a very long time....29.99? come on man, thats just going overboard. the more i play it, the more i want to bump up my review score. started with 7- 7.5 but now i feel 8-8.5....the passing and over throwing is the biggest obstacle to over come, which takes longer than several games(10 days for me)

29.99 or 39.99. Basically - this should have been released as a budget title. There's just too much wrong to justify the 49.99 price tag which is just barely lower than full retail. It's not overboard at all.

Listen to what you even say "the passing and over throwing is the biggest obstacle to over come" ...that's a pretty important component to football, don't you think? Something you should have down perfectly before releasing a game?

I just think that this game isn't very good, it serve a purpose and that's to show that another football game could be viable and fun if done right. This isn't though, it's only part of the way there.

User Info: PlaceMageHere

PlaceMageHere
7 years ago#39

Probably due to the common practice (In American schools at least) of making a 70-79 rating a C. Otherwise considered an average grade.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's try. Backbreaker's camera is horrible and makes the game nearly unplayable. The camera swivels uncontrolably when you switch defenders, and there is too much of a blind side when you are the QB. The "god mode" camera has been used countless times in all sports games and works great with all of them. I understand they want to give you a realistic feel of the game, but not having fatigue and injuries contradicts what they were trying to achieve in regards to realism. Not including different camera options was a bad move and the game deserves what it got, and IMHO, it should be lower. Go.

IMO the camera works great for the game. But the fact of that matter it's a decision they made because they wanted you in the action and not out of it. While you may feel the "god mode" camera worked great with every other game, many others (like myself) do not feel that way. I greatly prefer this camera view. I prefer being in the action. The camera view helps give you what the entire Backbreaker experience does, make you feel like you're playing football. While Madden/2ks "god mode" camera view pulls you out of the action. Makes you feel like you're just playing a football game. It's like an RPG pulling you out of the fantasy world.

Defensively if you feel the camera wiggles too much pick a defender and stick with him. I don't notice that problem with the camera but to each their own. Offensively the camera is perfectly fine. You just have to actually think like a real QB unlike in other football games such as the Madden/2k series. You have to read the defense. Know the routes. Notice a blitz, watch where the defenders move. Once again helping to add to the experience of actually feeling like you're playing football, instead of just a game.

Listen to what you even say "the passing and over throwing is the biggest obstacle to over come" ...that's a pretty important component to football, don't you think? Something you should have down perfectly before releasing a game?

Too lazy to properly quote this one. In anycase. But the passing is down before release. He didn't say there was an issue in and of itself. He said he had an issue learning the nuances of throwing properly. You've got to learn when to hit a receiver. How to properly lead the receiver, where the defenders are. Because something takes skill to properly pull off does not make it broken. This isn't 2k/Madden. You can't just push a button and let the game do the rest to hit your receiver. Like I said in response to the last post you have to think like a QB.

All in all the game has its flaws. Terrible penalty calling. Along with lackluster (to say the least) AI. But there's so much that the game does right it's hard to warrant saying the bad outweighs the good. Especially if you play online half of the bad is gone (if you're not lagging lol).

All in all. Weighing the experience the game gives you. I say it deserves a solid 7. It goes out there with one goal in mind. Make you feel like you're playing football, and it sure as hell knocks that right out of the park.
Not changing this sig until Favre is dead and buried so we no longer have to worry about him returning to football. Started 8/19/09

User Info: Sparty_On

Sparty_On
7 years ago#40
I have no problem with 5.5 that gamespot gave it I think it was a fair grade. I can't stand joy stick passing there is a reason that they have the buttons for passing. Tackles are great Tackle Ally is my favorite part of the game I think it's fun with it's flaws I give Backbacker 7 out of 10.
  1. Boards
  2. Backbreaker
  3. gamespot !!!!! 5.5 !!!! you guys are crazy !!!!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived