Best AI Settings and Characters?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. Best AI Settings and Characters?

User Info: DreadedGhoul575

DreadedGhoul575
11 months ago#1
Just wondering which ones people think are the best ones.

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
11 months ago#2
AI is normally best as All-Out. Advance Wars is a game where initiative is more likely to pay off than defense. Of course, defensive structures are important at times, but usually the best defense is a good offense.

As for characters, I'd say that aside from Caulder (obviously the best CO in the game), Isabella is on top (with her CO Power being an improved combination of Will's and Gage's, while her zone is relatively large given the broad range of units it gives boosts to; when full, it's only mildly worse than Forsythe's, and he has no CO Power). After that, things get a little murkier. My personal favorite is Gage, because I'm very heavy on indirect units, but I don't picture him being at the top of the list. Will is always a solid choice (outside of naval maps), because initiative is very important and he has a nice CO Zone size. Lin is nice, but a bit limited outside of maps with Fog of War. Waylon can be great on maps which are heavy on air, but Brenner is probably better over all. Still, at this point defense is superceded by strong offense, so I guess Gage goes somewhere there. Forsythe should also be there, just because of his massive boost area. If the weather isn't clear, Penny should also be here, or maybe higher. After that, Tabitha's powerful boost is probably king, despite the small zone. The CO Power probably isn't ever going to be worth it, though.... Tasha is next, thanks to having very powerful B Copters and Bombers, but the small zone (especially with air units, which have a lot of movement) prevents her from being as great as Waylon. That just leaves Penny (when weather is clear) and Greyfield, who isn't useful outside of naval maps.

So, to make a list:
-Caulder (duh)
-Isabella
-Will (but not on naval maps)
-Lin (but not on naval maps; the CO Power isn't as good as it could be, but it can still be devastating)
-Gage (as long as air isn't too strong)
-Brenner (overall excellent choice)
-Waylon (except with weak air) and Forsythe (another all-around good choice)
-Tabitha (too small a zone to be a dominator, but still able to push her weight around)
-Tasha (strong, but without a large zone...; also, that CO Power is a bit lacking, though it has its uses)
-Penny (but higher if weather is always active)
-Greyfield (maybe if his CO Power had any meaning outside of Aircraft Carrier -> Seaplane spam, he'd at least be a little higher up, but as is, he's only good with the navy; I read that Tabitha is better, though, so he's not even king there!)

http://www.warsworldnews.com/wp/aw4/game-aw4/damage-chart-dor/#more-969
Huh, Dragon Fogel seems to have similar opinions, but switched Forsythe with Tabitha (and giving Waylon the benefit of the doubt).
Sorry, can't talk; switching feet!

DreadedGhoul575
11 months ago#3
BlanketPI posted...
AI is normally best as All-Out. Advance Wars is a game where initiative is more likely to pay off than defense. Of course, defensive structures are important at times, but usually the best defense is a good offense.

As for characters, I'd say that aside from Caulder (obviously the best CO in the game), Isabella is on top (with her CO Power being an improved combination of Will's and Gage's, while her zone is relatively large given the broad range of units it gives boosts to; when full, it's only mildly worse than Forsythe's, and he has no CO Power). After that, things get a little murkier. My personal favorite is Gage, because I'm very heavy on indirect units, but I don't picture him being at the top of the list. Will is always a solid choice (outside of naval maps), because initiative is very important and he has a nice CO Zone size. Lin is nice, but a bit limited outside of maps with Fog of War. Waylon can be great on maps which are heavy on air, but Brenner is probably better over all. Still, at this point defense is superceded by strong offense, so I guess Gage goes somewhere there. Forsythe should also be there, just because of his massive boost area. If the weather isn't clear, Penny should also be here, or maybe higher. After that, Tabitha's powerful boost is probably king, despite the small zone. The CO Power probably isn't ever going to be worth it, though.... Tasha is next, thanks to having very powerful B Copters and Bombers, but the small zone (especially with air units, which have a lot of movement) prevents her from being as great as Waylon. That just leaves Penny (when weather is clear) and Greyfield, who isn't useful outside of naval maps.

So, to make a list:
-Caulder (duh)
-Isabella
-Will (but not on naval maps)
-Lin (but not on naval maps; the CO Power isn't as good as it could be, but it can still be devastating)
-Gage (as long as air isn't too strong)
-Brenner (overall excellent choice)
-Waylon (except with weak air) and Forsythe (another all-around good choice)
-Tabitha (too small a zone to be a dominator, but still able to push her weight around)
-Tasha (strong, but without a large zone...; also, that CO Power is a bit lacking, though it has its uses)
-Penny (but higher if weather is always active)
-Greyfield (maybe if his CO Power had any meaning outside of Aircraft Carrier -> Seaplane spam, he'd at least be a little higher up, but as is, he's only good with the navy; I read that Tabitha is better, though, so he's not even king there!)

http://www.warsworldnews.com/wp/aw4/game-aw4/damage-chart-dor/#more-969
Huh, Dragon Fogel seems to have similar opinions, but switched Forsythe with Tabitha (and giving Waylon the benefit of the doubt).

A lot of people told me that defense was the best one.

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
10 months ago#4
I get mixed results whenever I switch AIs. At some point, the different AIs will fail to adapt to you -- Defense will stop expanding if you send units near their HQ, All-out sometimes ignores when their HQ is being captured, etc.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

DreadedGhoul575
10 months ago#5
Pako Pako posted...
I get mixed results whenever I switch AIs. At some point, the different AIs will fail to adapt to you -- Defense will stop expanding if you send units near their HQ, All-out sometimes ignores when their HQ is being captured, etc.

In your opinion, which one is the best?

BlanketPI
10 months ago#6
Also, the COs have different rankings depending on a few settings:
-Fog of War: I'm honestly not sure what this does, but I can be pretty sure that Lin gets an overall gain (or at least not a loss), since that CO Power is powerful, but not when there's not Fog of War. [Actually, I'll hazard a guess that Gage also gets a boost for indirect units (since they can't move to attack, anyway) and defensive COs, since they can put weak units at the front to keep their strong units safe for a counter-attack.]
-Conditions: this primarily benefits Penny, but I imagine that Snow hurts ground-based COs while benefiting offensive COs, Rain benefits Lin and ground-based COs, Sandstorm... I'm not sure about, and Random I'm also not sure about
-Income: This one is one I love to play with. High income benefits the air, naval, and indirect COs (Tasha, Waylon, Greyfield, and Gage), since they rely on more expensive units; it also probably hurts Tabitha (and Caulder if you want to count him; he's not falling from the top, anyway), since her Mega Boosted unit is more easily countered and is less capable of devastation; Will is also hurt by this, since he relies primarily on weaker units; Greyfield might actually beat out Tabitha on the sea, since he can make many more Battleships and Carriers/Seaplanes suddenly become useful. If it's down to 500, Tabitha benefits from this a lot, as does Will and the defensive COs (Brenner and Waylon); meanwhile, the air and naval COs plummet further (poor Greyfield!) because they can't get a lot of their expensive units out (but Gage at least has Artillery on land...). I will note that this depends on the number of Cities per production facility, too: if you have 15 Cities for each Base, chances are you'll be relying a lot more on Middle Tanks and Rockets than if you only had 2 Cities for each Base.
-Length of the supply lines: The larger they are, the more important high movement is; per consequence, Lin probably suffers the most, since she uses ground units (which have the lowest move) and doesn't have the movement increase of Will, while Tasha gains the most; indirect units are also more important when supply lines are long, since units are harder to replace, boosting Gage, and similarly Tabitha gets boosted for keeping a few units alive, and Forsythe for keeping a lot of units together.

That was my little rant.

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
10 months ago#7
DreadedGhoul575 posted...
In your opinion, which one is the best?
I.. actually can't answer that. I tend to make maps tailored for specific AIs because of ... well, BlanketPI pretty much listed the reasons.

For mostly flat areas, All-out is more exciting because there is little to fall back on.
For large and desolate maps, Attack or Normal is usually enough.
For large and complex maps (mountains, water), Normal and Defense offer more of a challenge.

Thinking about all this now, I kind of wish you could set personalities per CO. I made a map of WW2 Europe and some starting areas just "need" to be played differently.

BlanketPI posted...
-Conditions: this primarily benefits Penny
That's all that needs to be said. X^D
If weather was consistent, everyone gets equally mired down; capture units won't travel as far, units take longer to reach the front, etc. But everyone has this issue. (Lin gets *some* relief from rain, but it's not much.) And like you brought up, depending on how Income is adjusted (the higher the income, the less of an issue to buy replacement units), some COs can just power through the ill-effects.

Random Weather... is really weird. It's totally random from one turn to the next (not even by day!) what kind of weather will happen. The advantage is still to Penny as she winds up being the only CO with some consistency whenever storms come in to suddenly wreck someone's well-thought plan. I actually like playing with random weather due to the sheer chaos that can amass. Sure this means victory (or defeat) may be a matter of blind luck, but a lot of the pre-made maps (not just the Classics) give an initiative bonus to player-1; adding a little weather can moot that bonus.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

DreadedGhoul575
10 months ago#8
BlanketPI posted...
Also, the COs have different rankings depending on a few settings:
-Fog of War: I'm honestly not sure what this does, but I can be pretty sure that Lin gets an overall gain (or at least not a loss), since that CO Power is powerful, but not when there's not Fog of War. [Actually, I'll hazard a guess that Gage also gets a boost for indirect units (since they can't move to attack, anyway) and defensive COs, since they can put weak units at the front to keep their strong units safe for a counter-attack.]
-Conditions: this primarily benefits Penny, but I imagine that Snow hurts ground-based COs while benefiting offensive COs, Rain benefits Lin and ground-based COs, Sandstorm... I'm not sure about, and Random I'm also not sure about
-Income: This one is one I love to play with. High income benefits the air, naval, and indirect COs (Tasha, Waylon, Greyfield, and Gage), since they rely on more expensive units; it also probably hurts Tabitha (and Caulder if you want to count him; he's not falling from the top, anyway), since her Mega Boosted unit is more easily countered and is less capable of devastation; Will is also hurt by this, since he relies primarily on weaker units; Greyfield might actually beat out Tabitha on the sea, since he can make many more Battleships and Carriers/Seaplanes suddenly become useful. If it's down to 500, Tabitha benefits from this a lot, as does Will and the defensive COs (Brenner and Waylon); meanwhile, the air and naval COs plummet further (poor Greyfield!) because they can't get a lot of their expensive units out (but Gage at least has Artillery on land...). I will note that this depends on the number of Cities per production facility, too: if you have 15 Cities for each Base, chances are you'll be relying a lot more on Middle Tanks and Rockets than if you only had 2 Cities for each Base.
-Length of the supply lines: The larger they are, the more important high movement is; per consequence, Lin probably suffers the most, since she uses ground units (which have the lowest move) and doesn't have the movement increase of Will, while Tasha gains the most; indirect units are also more important when supply lines are long, since units are harder to replace, boosting Gage, and similarly Tabitha gets boosted for keeping a few units alive, and Forsythe for keeping a lot of units together.

That was my little rant.

Oh ok, well since I'm using an emulator, the 4 COs are only available for me.

BlanketPI
10 months ago#9
Uh..., you can just play through the Campaign to get more COs. The first one is obtained by beating Chapter 12, but the early ones are rather easy to blaze through, so....

And yeah, setting the conditions to random can make things quite hectic. It's not like there's consistently a weather effect going on, either, which probably reduces Penny's bonus, even if her consistency is still extremely useful (since it allows you to plan ahead more easily, not having to worry about reduced vision, reduced movement, nor reduced attack). It actually doesn't affect buildings and Flames (the things that block movement, not the unit Flare, nor what they fire), though, which I thought was a nice touch (since those aren't units). Of course, with Conditions set to Rain, Snow, Sand, or Random, Stormfront tends to be a lot less useful, since your enemies are already hampered, but it's not too costly to use (a radius of 3 is still sizable and +10/+10 isn't exactly glorious).

Also, I just noticed that the person who actually created that image was GipFace, not Dragon Fogel, so it's actually someone you might see 'round these parts.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
10 months ago#10
All-Out is a really bad AI because it attacks while ignoring anything else in its path. It makes CO snipes and whatnot incredibly easy.

The other three AIs are mostly okay, but they're all pretty poor at using their CO unit which unfortunately a lot of the good gameplay comes from.

As far as CO strength goes, the tier list from earlier is based around 1v1 competitive play, for Vs AI some COs use their CO units a lot better than others. Any of the stat-ball COs tend to work better for the AI because they're hopeless at keeping their CO Unit alive if they need to trigger CO Powers.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. Best AI Settings and Characters?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived