noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

User Info: skater43

skater43
2 weeks ago#1
My buddy gamemaster712 and I just finished Dual Strike (see here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/924889-advance-wars-dual-strike/75707557), so thought we'd continue on with this game. Word on the street is this is the better of the two, but we'll see. Dual Strike was my first Advance Wars game, so A) I know nothing of the background/lore/who's fighting who and why/etc. and B) figured it was better to take them in order. Jumped into the last game blind and doing so again here. Yesterday, I figured out how to assign skills to my COs, which would have been useful to figure out during the campaign, but that just goes to show how great a player I am, that I can beat the game without using any skills. Or something like that. Anyway, strategies and such I usually like to figure out on my own, but any game mechanic bits of knowledge you guys want to pass along, I'll take. Otherwise, let's get this party started.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#2
Yay!!!!
Let me get the good things out first:
Replay missions.
CO is more balanced
Less annoying mission.
No time limit!!!

And here’s the flip side:
Still has annoying missions, but instead the problem tend to be you will likely fight into what feels like a stalemate. Applies greatly to later missions.

With those said...
Have fun.

My main goal is to S rank missions I haven’t yet... that’s all. Still will go through each mission once for kicks.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
2 weeks ago#3
DoR's campaign is actually decently designed, but it's still missing one thing: welcome structure. An indirect result of that problem is that C20 got onto whoisthisgit's Worst Levels Ever list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocg1084FUI
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH

gamemaster712
1 week ago#4
Don’t remind me...
That level is a pain to S rank
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

User Info: WendoloKazaki

WendoloKazaki
1 week ago#5
MasterKnight75 posted...
DoR's campaign is actually decently designed, but it's still missing one thing: welcome structure. An indirect result of that problem is that C20 got onto whoisthisgit's Worst Levels Ever list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocg1084FUI

stop spamming your buttbuddy's videos plox
actually a dog in a business suit at a keyboard
(BB: Azrael, GG: Ky?, UNIST: Akatsuki)

skater43
1 week ago#6
So got the first three missions finished. S rank on all of them, no real surprise there. Short of wasting time and/or not attacking, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a lower ranking on these first few levels. Looks like the scoring's a little different as you can earn more than 100 points per category (and I guess varies by category, too. Mission 3, I got 105 points in power and 130 in technique, and both of those were in yellow, whereas I only got 94 points in speed. So I guess I got max points for power and technique, but lost a few on speed), but at this point, my primary concern is beating the mission. Worry about redoing missions for better ranks down the road.

So far, seeing a lot more similarities than differences between the two games, and that's fine by me. Looks like there's more info available here on the different units, their strengths/weaknesses, terrain, etc. I'm sure a lot of that is in Dual Strike, too, I just didn't notice all of it/it was highlighted here.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
1 week ago#7
As a reminder, Power and Technique have been changed: Power is based on the average damage per attack with a kill counting as +100% damage, and Technique is based more on the ratio of enemy units to your own with losses being added to the latter. And yeah, your score for each area can exceed 100, though still caps at 150. Power and Technique average between the base result and 100 when the former exceeds the latter, and Speed is average((2P - C) / P), max(result, 100), max(result, 100)) fully minimized to 0. In return, the S-Rank requisite is now 300....which actually isn't a whole lot, especially since now you can fully sacrifice a rank if you can get 150 in multiple areas. (Hello, Speed.)

So there you go.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH

skater43
1 week ago#8
Yeah, I finished the next two missions and got less than perfect on power on one of them, even though I destroyed everything on the map. Earned A ranks for missions 4 and 5, but as I said, I'm not really sweating rankings at this point. Was actually afraid I might lose mission 5, but I think it was designed that way. The enemy starts with superior numbers and firepower, but you can capture a factory and out-build them. So you'll take some loses at the start, but once you take the factory and a couple of cities, you've got plenty of resources to build new units and take out the enemy.

Rest of today is pretty full, so prolly won't get to mission 6 until tomorrow.

gamemaster712
1 week ago#9
14 I believe is when the snafu starts...

gamemaster712
1 week ago#10
One less S rank to worry about now
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.