noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 weeks ago#31
Yeah, can't say things are going well. Day 14 or so and outnumbered, though I do control slightly more cities/production centers. Caught a little bit of a break when a couple of his planes ran out of fuel. Not ready to give up on this attempt yet, but I'll prolly be redoing this one. Didn't take out the meteors/plasma near the enemy area at the start because I thought limiting their mobility might be a help, and I'm not currently in a position to get up to them/attack them, so that's one thing I'd prolly do differently on my next attempt. But, we'll see if I can pull this out first.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

skater43
3 weeks ago#32
Well, scrapped my attempt at mission 14. Starting to lose ground and even if I were to somehow pull it out, it was going to take more time/effort than I wanted to put into it. So, we'll try again. Only a couple days in, so can't say things are really leaning one way or the other yet. For a little change of pace, though, I did take down trial #5 yesterday. That was a nice long 38 day battle of attrition. Considering I had twice the cities/production centers the enemy did, it's prolly my fault things took so long (ended with a B rank), which may not bode well for future real missions. We'll see.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#33
Use this as a basis..

https://youtu.be/ggNnqod934c
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

skater43
3 weeks ago#34
Sometimes, I amaze myself. Just beat mission 14 with an S rank, max points in all three categories. This was actually my third attempt. Second attempt was going all right, but I made a critical miscalculation. Enemy flew in an infantry and dropped it off my capitol. Had a fighter nearby, so that took out the transport copter afterwards, but no use against the infantry. I created a tank at the nearby factory, and the next round, a bomber at the airfield. I figured the tank could get to the capitol/infantry and even if it wouldn't wipe out the unit (not at all likely), it would at least damage it so it would take an extra round or more for the infantry to finish capturing the capitol. As such, I sent the bomber ahead to the main front to see about helping out there. Next round, go to move the tank and discover it comes up one square short of being able to take the capitol. So, I lost. Which is a shame because I had been doing decently at that point. But, it showed I could do well on this mission. So, I figured I'd give it another go on my own before checking out your video, gm (do have it Favorited, though, in case I need to check out any of the later missions). Not sure why things went so well this time, but they were just clicking. Took out one of the meteors creating the barrier by day 5 or 6 or so, and charged in from there. Battleship and cruiser helped me control the sea and the end dragged out a little just because he was making a lot of planes/air units, so I needed to get fighters and other anti-air stuff up there. Only lost 11 units of my own, while taking out 39 of his (he also lost 1 seaplane that ran out of fuel) in 18 days, so clear domination. And the war is over. We have peace in our time and all that. And other missions to go, so clearly, this isn't the end.

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#35
Things have just begun...
The good missions are to come and so are the infuriating ones

It’s real nice when you can just run almost auto pilot and things just go so well. It’s a good feeling.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
3 weeks ago#36
"And the war is over. We have peace in our time and all that."

Even though the ending was clearly a show of how Greyfield and Waylon are lunatics in power willing to commit war crimes with the setting being little more than an excuse for doing so.

Of course, what do I expect when you believe losing 10+ units on any map is clear domination.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
3 weeks ago#37
Finally you get the good stuff, the CO Zone mechanic finally gets introduced and you get to have some fun.

That being said good on getting the S-Rank, C14 is really rough for first timers because it's a mixed battle that requires a solid understanding of the units to do well on TBH.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#38
Boy wait till he get to the talon gun one...

skater43
3 weeks ago#39
Thanks, guys. Yeah, mission 14's result surprised me, though things were definitely clicking along. Based on not doing so well on some of the trials, though, I have to chalk that up more to luck than skill. Currently having fun with mission 15. Basic strat at the start was run left for great justice, but that ran into a bit of a snag with the meteor barrier and the enemy artillery. Both blue units are heavily damaged, so prolly going to be doing this one over, but we'll see if I can still pull it out as it currently stands.

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#40
That blue recon is pretty much guaranteed suicide...
Just focus on utilizing everything else to clear the way and protect the infantry.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.