noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

User Info: skater43

skater43
2 weeks ago#41
Just finished mission 15. Was actually able to pull out the victory on attempt 1, so that was a pleasant surprise. Getting an S rank and max points in all three categories was even more of a surprise. I didn't do a lot of attacking, took out his copters and ranged stuff and that was about it (actually, looks like he lost 1 infantry, 1 mech, 2 recons, 1 artillery, 1 rocket, and 2 copters). Took out the first meteor barrier, but the blue recon (lost the infantry) was able to slip around the second one. Towards the end, I was actually sacrificing units to block the bridge and slow the enemy down. Looking at the post-mission stats, I see I actually only lost 4 units (1 infantry, 1 tank, 1 AA and 1 artillery), which is better than I remembered. And did it in 10 days but speed was definitely a key to this mission. Longer it drug out, the more an advantage the enemy had. Anyway, on to the next one. I'm sensing a Brenner rescue mission. Also see Caulder finally found some one willing to listen to him/take advantage of whatever devious items/ideas he's got.

edit: Just finished watching the post-mission cutscene and it appears we will not be rescuing Brenner after all. So guess I'll just be surprised at what the next mission's purpose is.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#42
The next mission purpose....
When things gets dark...
Hope will rise....
It’s a doozy of a mission.

15 is nearly guaranteed S rank simply for finishing because you’re at a disadvantage and expected heavy losses.

Little hint for next mission: the Mech at the top... send it west immediately toward factory and city. You’ll thank me later.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

skater43
2 weeks ago#43
Another day, another mission done. This one took three official tries, but that was because I restarted after the first day a couple of times after things went poorly. Third attempt, things didn't go that well either, but I decided to stick with it. Instead of pulling back my ground soldiers as the game suggested/expected, I was looking into using them to capture stuff in the upper right corner as you alluded to, gm. No success, though tying down their forces/keeping them from expanding may have made a difference. Got an A rank and frankly, might have been able to get an S one if I'd been paying attention. Took me 18 days to win, but after day 12 or so, I had cleaned out the upper right corner and had two of my guys sitting on their factories. Had I thought about it (before day 16 or so when it finally dawned on me), I could have teleported an infantry to their HQ and captured it with ease. By the time I realized that, I'd already been working on cleaning out their last forces in the upper left corner so went ahead with the annihilation victory. I was well out-producing him, so once I got things rolling after a few days, victory was pretty much guaranteed, it was just a question of time. Didn't use the new CO feature, which is prolly bad in that it's likely rather useful and figuring out how to use it would be helpful for later missions, but we'll see. Managed to beat the last game without using any of the COs skills because I didn't know how to assign them until after I beat it, so it's not like I haven't given myself a handicap before. :) So, onto the next one and look at that, we have a new commander. I guess Keen wasn't available. ;)
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#44
Bro...
I said send the top Mech closest to northwest toward west...
West!!!
West!!!
😫😫
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
(edited 2 weeks ago)

skater43
2 weeks ago#45
"East is east and west is west and the wrong one I have chose." :) Wow. Yeah, totally went the wrong way. I did send one guy to the bottom right to get the airport and cities there, but yeah, taking the upper left before him prolly would have made things easier. Still can't believe I went the wrong way, though.

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#46
Unlike dual strike each CO has specific powers. No need to equip ability like before

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#47
From wiki:

The CO powers in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin have been revamped, and are no longer as powerful as they were in Advance Wars: Dual Strike (with some COs having no powers). Also, they can only be charged by attacking from within a certain range of a CO unit (the CO zone) or with the CO unit. Note that during an enemy phase, for the player's own meter to charge up via counterattacking, the enemy's own unit has to be in the CO Zone, but it doesn't matter if the player's unit isn't.

According to the developers, this change was made to put more emphasis on strategy, rather than on relying solely on a CO's abilities.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
2 weeks ago#48
I always find the "less powerful" statement funny because in AW4 a CO Power is far, far more often a game-ender than in AW1-3.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#49
Did a few trial maps for some S rank.
I’m really good at 16 now...
Got S rank and I even took my time decimating all of fatso forces. Captured all nearby places sans HQ. surrounded him and casually blew his last unit with a CO powered war tank. Such a good feeling.

skater43
2 weeks ago#50
Working on 16 myself. So far, only one skirmish between tanks, otherwise, both sides seem to be holding back and building up forces. Glad the game told me/reminded me about the range of the Death Beam as I didn't think about that (did remember how to check the range, though, and thankfully hadn't moved any units within its range yet). I see this one being a long drawn out one, but hopefully I can get a bunch of bombers or something to swarm the Beam and take it out.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.