noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#51
skater43 posted...
Working on 16 myself. So far, only one skirmish between tanks, otherwise, both sides seem to be holding back and building up forces. Glad the game told me/reminded me about the range of the Death Beam as I didn't think about that (did remember how to check the range, though, and thankfully hadn't moved any units within its range yet). I see this one being a long drawn out one, but hopefully I can get a bunch of bombers or something to swarm the Beam and take it out.

Well there’s a guaranteed s rank way if things gets rough. It’s easier than you think.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 weeks ago#52
Finished 16 with an A rank. Had I COed a bomber I sent in, it prolly would have taken out the gun in one shot, which would have saved a day, and I prolly could have had more guys lined up ready to move in rather than focusing on various parts of the map. So that would have saved a couple days prolly, move in as soon as the enemy left an opening in front of the gun. As it was, it was day 15 when I won. But victory's a victory, so onto #17.

edit: wait a minute, that was 17, The Creeper. Got off on my numbers somewhere. So we're actually on 18 now, Panic in the Ranks.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"
(edited 3 weeks ago)

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#53
18 and 19 shouldn’t pose much of an issue. Then 20-21...
🤬🤬🤬
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

gamemaster712
3 weeks ago#54
Broke my record on 16 again.
It’s such a fun mission once you know what to do.

skater43
3 weeks ago#55
You were right about 18. Beat that first try with an A rank, though things were looking a little dicey. Blue team was in pretty good shape (all they lost was 1 missile), but I was down to just 2 units of my CO war tank for the red team. Enemy airforce did a real number on red the first couple of days. Fortunately, by sheer luck, I'd moved my war tank closer to the com tower on day 1, so I was able to move onto it on day 2, which turned the tide and saved my bacon. But, a 7 day fight, so pretty quick one. I'd been working on trial #4 earlier today and that was going okay, then not, then back to okay, then things looked like they were about to fall apart, so bailed on that and figured we'd take another crack at it some other time. Meanwhile, onto #19 and advancing the plot.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#56
After 19 is where things start ramping up big time. 22 is a top rage inducer for example.

skater43
2 weeks ago#57
Inching my way there. Just finished 19. Have to say I was a little apprehensive when I first fired it up and saw I was out numbered 2 to 1, but was able to take out a couple of units, he combined some and that got the numbers a little more even. Used the first couple of missiles to damage the tanks figuring they'd be doing the most damage. Unfortunately, I underestimated the war tank. Saw it had little fuel and no ammo, but forgot it still had its machine gun, so it took out two of my infantry units. After that, it was out of gas, so no longer a threat. Fortunately, it went after my guys rather than waiting for a city to be captured so it could resupply. Was clear my best option was to go for the capitol, rather than trying to take out all the units (especially since I didn't have anything that would have done much against the war tank), so last couple of turns, I rushed a bike up there while other units acted as blockers and using the last couple of missiles to weaken guys in the way. Earned an S rank, with max points for power and technique (did take out an enemy unit the last day before finishing capturing the capitol, just for prestige points/rubbing it in), though apparently my 8 days to victory was on the slow side. But, a win's a win, and can't complain about another S. So, onward we go.

Also did trial #3 yesterday. I didn't really think I was going to be able to rush a couple of bikes to the capitol and take it before the enemy could stop me, but tried for that anyway. Failed that, so had to go with the drawn out fight route. 18 day affair, mostly because, while I had twice the production centers he did (10 to 5), our number of units was usually about the same and while a mech isn't as good as a tank, say, two mech units cost less than a tank one, so he was able to keep things going by just numbers. Eventually, I was able to get enough guys in between his factory and the capitol to hold off his forces long enough to take the capitol and win. Finished with a B rank, which wasn't real surprising based on how the battle went. I've tried a couple of the other trials, too, along the way, but most I still need to do/go back and do (looking at the map, looks like I've beaten five of them [#3, 5, 10, 17, and 29] and have six available to attempt [#4, 8, 24, 36, 37 and 38]).

gamemaster712
2 weeks ago#58
And 19 is the beginning of constant frustration!
🤯

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
2 weeks ago#59
Since it's likely you're now hating Waylon Flies Again, here's the video to show that you're not alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocg1084FUI

WFA is the mother for that video, being a boring piece of work. The father is actually the Advance Wars subreddit in all their, unempathetic by the way, hypocrisy of throwing about harassment accusations.

In the meantime, I'll be getting back to preparing for Game Boy Wars 3 Day on January 21.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
2 weeks ago#60
Getting all 64 S ranks is pretty challenging and should keep you busy for a while. The campaign only ramps up from here, so keep on your toes. Using your CO effectively is very important to winning convincingly.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.