The reason this wasn't part of the 'Summer of Arcade' promotion...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shred Nebula
  3. The reason this wasn't part of the 'Summer of Arcade' promotion...

User Info: Trisha_Goddard

Trisha_Goddard
9 years ago#1
Quite simply, this game is gash.

Horrible controls (3 levels of thrust... poor choice when you could do most of that with the analogue stick), dull gameplay, unhelpful level of zoom makes it hard to react to enemies when going at full speed.

Personally I thought Galaga Legions and 1942 Joint Strike both seemed a little underwhelming but they were magnificent compared to this.

Most 8-way scrollers in the mid 80s even managed to play better than this.

It's like a 2D version of that awful Wing Commander XBLA game but sort of worse. Very, very disappointing.

User Info: Silmane

Silmane
9 years ago#2
It's okay to not like a game, but so far(Not around here, really) I've noticed the most complaints are about the control scheme.

Sorry, but most Mid-80's 8-way shooters didn't have this many options when it came to combat. It has a decent learning curve, but it's definitely managable.

"unhelpful level of zoom makes it hard to react to enemies when going at full speed. "

What? This doesn't make any sense, really. The right-analog weapons makes it easy to take out enemies at full-speed.

As far as the rest of your post that's obviously your opinion, but I'm gonna say that you didn't give this game a chance. The controls are horrible because you aren't good at it.

"I'm not interested in your bull****!" - Nero
Gamertag: Epic Insurgent

User Info: GameOz

GameOz
9 years ago#3
I think this could have been a great game but I really don't like the controls. It just seems like there should be some other options available.
No More Heroes is pretty much the greatest game ever made.

User Info: Hotbedbrie

Hotbedbrie
9 years ago#4
I will agree that there's no reason for right trigger to be perma-mapped to the rarely used Warp function - that's just bad design to require a player to frequently use left trigger for thrust but not allow them to use right trigger for the almost as commonly used shield.

I have found the controls to be decent, not perfect, but decent, with A as main attack, B as shield, and X as special attack. That way, you hang on A, then move to B or X as needed.

As for the full thrust comment - that's what radar is for, foo.

User Info: SweetToothKane

SweetToothKane
9 years ago#5
We actually had shield on RT at one point and we had issues with it. The shield is designed as on/off and having it on a digital button ended up feeling much better.
"Have you ever had hot bread thrown at your face? It burns in a badass fashion, badass like me, Revolutionary Badass." - Revolutionary Badass

User Info: DJAMES

DJAMES
9 years ago#6
There is some strange irony in this post.... Hmmm (thinks about last names).

But thanks for checking out the game even though you apparently did not get it. I encourage you to actually try it deeper, maybe hold the thrust button and aim your ship like you are flying and play far enough into the adventure mode (crimson zone is level 2) to face a bunch of ships and get your ass kicked by them a bit before assuming the pacing is slow. The first levels of each mode are thankfully slow for the sake of breaking people in.

For the record, anyone upset about the stick pointing your ship direction with dynamic speed rotation vs. fixed rotation left/right, think about this: That would be like trying to play Resident Evil control (as in PS1 R.E tank style control) in games like God of War. But this may not be everyone's cup of tea, we knew that going in when we decided to progress the genre with speed, counters, mobility and special character movement.
-DJAMES Goddard

User Info: maxfx4u

maxfx4u
9 years ago#7
Just for the record I really like this game, and I think the controls are spot on. Just which there were more people online.

Trisha_Goddard
9 years ago#8
"For the record, anyone upset about the stick pointing your ship direction with dynamic speed rotation vs. fixed rotation left/right, think about this: That would be like trying to play Resident Evil control (as in PS1 R.E tank style control) in games like God of War. But this may not be everyone's cup of tea, we knew that going in when we decided to progress the genre with speed, counters, mobility and special character movement."

People like options.

In fact, take a look at the control options screen. It's rubbish. Just the option to swap buttons and then an advanced options screen to swap other buttons. Rubbish, thoughtless design. Why not give people analogue thrust, traditional twin-stick controls, 'Resi'-style rotation controls and this, frankly useless, control scheme and then let them pick?

For some reason, I instinctively kept trying to rotate the ship Asteroids-style.

You can't put this criticism down to 'being bad at the game'. I certainly didn't die during the demo.

I think this'll be just over the mark for delisting but only just. If any sites bother playing it long enough to review it.

User Info: Silmane

Silmane
9 years ago#9
Cool, Trish. You make game-designing sound so easy!

"I'm not interested in your bull****!" - Nero
Gamertag: Epic Insurgent

Trisha_Goddard
9 years ago#10
the coding isn't easy, I get that.

but designing a control-scheme that doesn't strip the fun out of a game... well that's quite easy, yes.
  1. Boards
  2. Shred Nebula
  3. The reason this wasn't part of the 'Summer of Arcade' promotion...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived