If Colonial Marines is disappointing, play classic AvP

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Aliens: Colonial Marines
  3. If Colonial Marines is disappointing, play classic AvP

User Info: Darkshowers

Darkshowers
4 years ago#1
I had high hopes for this game too especially playing through the campaign online co-op with my friends but all the negative reviews have put me off to maybe considering again it once it goes on sale.

Right now, I am having a blast playing through the first Alien vs Predator game by Rebellion going back to 1999. I would recommend to anyone who never got to play it to give it a chance. The marine campaign on the hardest difficulty is insanely difficult but still do-able. It's definitely much cheaper on Steam and more fun than this mediocre game.

User Info: Griff

Griff
4 years ago#2
My favorite is still the Jaguar version, the tension and scares in that game were unrelenting.

I gotta say, if you're a fan of older games, and don't mind outdated graphic engines,
you really shouldn't write off Colonial Marines. The reviews threw me for a loop, and at first glance it's a turn off, but the game has somehow grown on me and I'm really enjoying it. When the price drops, give it a shot.

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
4 years ago#3
AvP 1999 was the first game I consistently played online.

AvP 2010 was a great reboot but the online functions were so terrible I didn't stick with it for like more then a 2 weeks.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
4 years ago#4
Dredj posted...
AvP 1999 was the first game I consistently played online.

AvP 2010 was a great reboot but the online functions were so terrible I didn't stick with it for like more then a 2 weeks.

If you can you should try AVP2 (2001). Playing all 3 species against each other on a LAN was a blast. Although the expansion (Primal Hunt) is terrible.
I respect your opinions, but only when they agree with mine--awesomephatman

User Info: PsyEd

PsyEd
4 years ago#5
Griff posted...
My favorite is still the Jaguar version, the tension and scares in that game were unrelenting..

Amen. Back in the days I just bought the Jag just to bag aliens in it...plus to see what 64bit looked like lol....hope they emulate it someday....it was an awesome game...don't mind seeing a HD remake either.

I don't mind ACM but it's WAY too bland....and enemies are extremely boring than being scary....seriously a clever AI could've saved it but no that it isn't there either.
Psy3d on 360
PsyEd on PSN

User Info: Mastadi

Mastadi
4 years ago#6
Darkshowers posted...
Right now, I am having a blast playing through the first Alien vs Predator game by Rebellion going back to 1999. I would recommend to anyone who never got to play it to give it a chance. The marine campaign on the hardest difficulty is insanely difficult but still do-able. It's definitely much cheaper on Steam and more fun than this mediocre game.

Does the steam version work well on modern machines with Win 7? I fondly remember playing the game a lot back in school, but I don't think I ever actually owned a copy myself
I would use a nude male mod with equipable underwear just so I can enchant a pair of magical boxers. - Nexus_Nocturnal.

User Info: Megawizard

Megawizard
4 years ago#7
I liked Sierra's AvP2 that they made; that was '01. The SP wasn't anything to write home about, but the MP's fun as long as ya don't end up in a game with a hacker.
^( ' ' )^

User Info: PrinceOfHot

PrinceOfHot
4 years ago#8
Yea but this game has slightly better graphics.

/thread fail

User Info: Darkshowers

Darkshowers
4 years ago#9
Mastadi posted...
Darkshowers posted...

Does the steam version work well on modern machines with Win 7? I fondly remember playing the game a lot back in school, but I don't think I ever actually owned a copy myself

I have Windows 7 and it works fine on my computer. It should be fine because older games on Steam are reconfigured to run on new PCs.

User Info: Snadados

Snadados
4 years ago#10
I don't want no P in my A.
Take you P and stick it somewhere else and leave my A alone.
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
  1. Boards
  2. Aliens: Colonial Marines
  3. If Colonial Marines is disappointing, play classic AvP

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived