so...what qualifies for "poor scripting/writing"?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  3. so...what qualifies for "poor scripting/writing"?

User Info: lennethsoki

lennethsoki
7 years ago#1
from what I see, this game's conversations seem pretty realistic. I don't see the big deal, unless i'm missing something

User Info: InfinityZERO

InfinityZERO
7 years ago#2
Compare the conversations from this game and Mass Effect, since that that has a military feel to it as well.

You also forgot poor voice acting as well. And if you're going to ask for what about this game makes for poor writing, then make sure the topic has *SPOILERS* in the title because you're going to get A LOT of those.
"Learn the lesson that George Lucas fails to learn: despite the fact that you created this series, it doesn't belong in your hands." Langis on Sonic

User Info: Miskay

Miskay
7 years ago#3
I WANT YOUR WARMTH MR.EDGE, 'KAY?
"This concept of 'wuv' confuses and infuriates us!"
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8580/zoolanderteddie.gif

User Info: InfinityZERO

InfinityZERO
7 years ago#4
Also, if this game's conversations are realistic, you need to stop watching such poorly, cliched anime and go talk to REAL people (who don't watch anime). Because REAL people don't talk like this. Talking about stuff that they are thinking?
"Learn the lesson that George Lucas fails to learn: despite the fact that you created this series, it doesn't belong in your hands." Langis on Sonic

User Info: cubicquestion

cubicquestion
7 years ago#5
It's not as bad as people say. Standard JRPG fare.

People just say it's horrible because the sci-fi aspect of the game is common in, like, every other Xbox 360 same, so people tend to compare it to other games like Mass Effect, which has more realistic dialogue,
Akirhol - "It's Woll Smoth's daughter, Lomle Lomori Pho"
http://www.youtube.com/user/cubicquestion ~Currently recording Star Ocean 4

User Info: thefinal7

thefinal7
7 years ago#6
Also, if this game's conversations are realistic, you need to stop watching such poorly, cliched anime and go talk to REAL people (who don't watch anime). Because REAL people don't talk like this.

Definitely this.
Its called a Bromance. He likes him, loves him, rivals him in a brotherly fashion. Bromance - onyx_kane059

User Info: Rassium

Rassium
7 years ago#7
It just feels really rigid and unnatural.
Characters act in really weird ways and say some pretty out of place stuff. A great example is when you're first starting out on Aeos, in the middle of a conversation between the human commander, Edge, Faize, and the eldarian commander... Edge and the human guy just start talking about the eldarians as "them". When they're right there. They seriously interrupted a normal conversation to have an incredibly rude side-conversation.

It's stuff like that which happens frequently, on top of characters being shocked at the obvious even after they explain it to the viewer quite plainly. Not to mention the horrible cases of jrpg/anime "conversations".
"WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS™" -WILLIAM H. SESSIONS, FBI

User Info: HiroyValesti

HiroyValesti
7 years ago#8
I dunno. The scenes in the game seemed pretty watered down compared to the actual text only convos with either party members or even NCPs. It's like they were trying to chop down sentences into short phases to make the scenes or events go by quicker(editing in other words). Why didn't you think EX never explianed the Missing Procedue in a cutscene(instead you had to read it)? I'm amusing whoever directed scenes had try filling in small gaps due to the limited amount of storyboards to tell a story or bring across a certian conversation during an event.

Star Ocean 3 BTS: 300/300

User Info: LordArcadio

LordArcadio
7 years ago#9

It's not as bad as people say. Standard JRPG fare.

People just say it's horrible because the sci-fi aspect of the game is common in, like, every other Xbox 360 same, so people tend to compare it to other games like Mass Effect, which has more realistic dialogue,

Genre doesn't matter. If the average JRPG is bad, Star Ocean shouldn't strive to be an average JRPG.
"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." -Adam Smith
CQ

User Info: ultrajo1001

ultrajo1001
7 years ago#10
lol the first post was exactly what I was thinking about the script as well, I was playing mass effect trying to clear the insanity difficulty level before I borrowed this game from a friend, it blew my mind how bad the script, voice acting, character development, camera, and setting was compared to mass effect given that they both share the same premises, travel to different planets on a spaceship to stop a great evil, this game is passible if only for its battle system, but everything else really was quite horrible. Lol I still can't get the sting of emo out of my head when I'm playing through this game, when I compare Edge and crew to Shepard and his friends.....

PS: the Crowe man love thing Edge has doesn't really help his hero image.....
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  3. so...what qualifies for "poor scripting/writing"?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived