Reverse Engineering: Stacks or Singles?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: The Old Republic
  3. Reverse Engineering: Stacks or Singles?

User Info: Soldier3rdClass

Soldier3rdClass
5 years ago#1
Is it more beneficial to reverse stacks or singles, or does it even matter?
I5 2500k @4.5GHZ, HD6850x2 , 8GB DDR3 @1600mhz

User Info: bornonafriday

bornonafriday
5 years ago#2
I don't think it makes a difference either way.
Follow me if you like twitter@protomelvin

User Info: Soldier3rdClass

Soldier3rdClass
5 years ago#3
Well I'm doing biochem for my vanguard so often I have stacks of med packs to reverse engineer. I reversed a stack of 15 combat meds and got nothing but then reversed 5 more singles and got the schematic for the blue. Doesn't really prove anything because it could all be luck.

Oh well. Guess I'll just go with singles though to be sure I don't waste anything.
I5 2500k @4.5GHZ, HD6850x2 , 8GB DDR3 @1600mhz

User Info: Mivo

Mivo
5 years ago#4
No scientific evidence, but my observation is that it doesn't matter. I've experimented a bit with RE'ing stacks of medpacks vs. single ones, and the stacks (of 10) yielded a new schematic every time. And RE'ing 10 or less singles always yielded in a new recipe as well.

User Info: Rakenshi1243

Rakenshi1243
5 years ago#5
On my Biochem I just do it In stacks out of lazyness, I'm also an bioanalyst who never skips a node.

If you're just trying to learn schematics, do singles.

User Info: Decoy77

Decoy77
5 years ago#6
I've found it is just random luck on learning new schematics. Sometimes I do a single item learn a new one. The level 40 medpack on the other hand...wow that one was a PITA. I think I did over 50 RE for just the green one and I still never learned the blue one. Now the level 48 medpack. 3 green for the blue and 1 blue for the epic.

I believe it is a set % chance per time you do an item to learn a new plan. So if it is a 5% chance do a stack of 20 SHOULD give you a 100% chance but since it is actually 5% per item not 5*20 to get one you could still fail. Doing larger stacks will give you what feels like a higher chance to learn one. But if you want to still learn one and "waste" the least amount of materials doing so you can RE one at a time as you make it and still probably get the plan in the first 5 REs or so. Minus that one medpack I don't think I've had to go over 10 of an item to get the next level.
i7 960 OC @ 3.7 GHz, Geforce GTX 295 1792MB, 6GB DDR3, 1000 Watt PSU, 1TB HD, Asus 23.6'' @ 1920 x 1080, Win7 x64

User Info: Nyrin

Nyrin
5 years ago#7
Decoy77 posted...
I've found it is just random luck on learning new schematics. Sometimes I do a single item learn a new one. The level 40 medpack on the other hand...wow that one was a PITA. I think I did over 50 RE for just the green one and I still never learned the blue one. Now the level 48 medpack. 3 green for the blue and 1 blue for the epic.

I believe it is a set % chance per time you do an item to learn a new plan. So if it is a 5% chance do a stack of 20 SHOULD give you a 100% chance but since it is actually 5% per item not 5*20 to get one you could still fail. Doing larger stacks will give you what feels like a higher chance to learn one. But if you want to still learn one and "waste" the least amount of materials doing so you can RE one at a time as you make it and still probably get the plan in the first 5 REs or so. Minus that one medpack I don't think I've had to go over 10 of an item to get the next level.

Yes, the math is definitely not 5% * 20, but (1 - 0.05)^20 ~= 64.2%. This is almost certainly the way it works. It probably "doesn't matter" in the sense that the chances are the same, but if you would have been lucky enough to get it on your first (or third, or fifth) single RE attempt, you would theoretically be wasting the remaining 19/17/15.

User Info: aiRWaLKRe

aiRWaLKRe
5 years ago#8
Bleh who knows I have done 3 to 5 per green stacks and got the blue I have done 12+ single greens to get a blue ( must have had some very very bad RNG on those :/ ). I have done 5 green implants, those are single R/E only of course, and learned 3 different blues out of the first 5 greens I made of the exact smae item. You win some, you lose some.
"After 6 years on gamefaqs, one thing that I have learned is to pay little attention to the opinions or statements of new users." -aiRWaLKRe
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars: The Old Republic
  3. Reverse Engineering: Stacks or Singles?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived