On the lowest possible settings...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto IV
  3. On the lowest possible settings...

User Info: CardigansFan

CardigansFan
8 years ago#1
...is this game much more demanding than San Andreas? With my current laptop (specs in my quote), I can run San Andreas on the complete lowest settings with little or no framerate drops. But on the lowest possible settings for GTA IV (including the 640x480 "hack" I saw somebody mention here by going into the settings file and editing it), is it much more demanding than San Andreas? And are there any tools/utilities to improve performance or reduce quality?
The Topic Killer
I hope I'm not being too forward with this.

User Info: Lucian04

Lucian04
8 years ago#2
Compared to San Andreas, GTA IV is "BEYOND DEMANDING".. If what you're telling me is what I think I'm hearing, your laptop is a POS to begin with if it can barely run San Andreas at the lowest settings.
"I'm a condescending bastard"
- Lucian04 from the Book of Douche

User Info: CardigansFan

CardigansFan
8 years ago#3
If what you're telling me is what I think I'm hearing, your laptop is a POS to begin with if it can barely run San Andreas at the lowest settings.

It's a tablet PC from ~2004 with a weak single-core processor and an even weaker integrated video chip. I was actually surprised that it even ran San Andreas. I bought it with school in mind, since I don't game too much anymore, but I wouldn't mind being able to play a game like GTA IV, even with ass-quality graphics.

And are you basing your "BEYOND DEMANDING" just on what others have said and what you've heard, or have you played San Andreas on your computer and/or played GTA IV at 640x480 resolution?
The Topic Killer
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
8 years ago#4
TBH, you really won't stand much of a chance running GTAIV on a Single-Core CPU and integrated video. Brand-New $1500 laptops struggle to run GTAIV, so I wouldn't even try it...
Last Played Game: [PROTOTYPE] PC

User Info: zaroba

zaroba
8 years ago#5
that's why you don't use laptops for gaming cody.
a $500 desktop pc can play it fine :P
ASUS p5n32-e, Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 6gb ddr2, 3x 320gb sata seagate barracuda, 640mb 8800GTS
Vista Ultimate 64bit, 3x 120mm 3k rpm fans to keep it under 35C

User Info: cody4783

cody4783
8 years ago#6

that's why you don't use laptops for gaming cody.
a $500 desktop pc can play it fine :P

That was kinda my point. -__-
GTAIV is one-of the hardest games to run smoothly that's out-there. Only time you should consider using laptops for intense gaming is if you have a $2000+ budget to do so (At such point it's just a bad purchase, IMO), when a $600 desktop would game just well.
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
PSP-1001 (+.[5.0M33-6]-:-), PS2s: 50K Fat (V9) Modded+500GB HDD/70K Slim(V12).

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
8 years ago#7
When I set my pc to the lowest settings with just one core, even I have problems with the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto IV
  3. On the lowest possible settings...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived