You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
I've been a longtime enjoyer of the series and have beaten more then fifteen Castlevania titles, I think you could call me a fan.
- I like the look and different locations.
- Soundtrack is definitely more generic, not a single really memorable tune so far.
- Combat system feels off, mostly because you either need to block-counter/dodge which will drag most battles out or prepare to take a lot of dmg/die. It feels incredibly repetetive in the "i'm falling asleep" kind of way instead of the "can't wait for another battle" kind of way. Basically it feels like work, I did like that with powerups, whip-upgrades etc. there's a lot of combos and the magic and subweapons all combined makes it varied at least.
- Puzzles have been either those where you have to try it until you succed or where you can see the solution instantly, nothing inbetween.
- What was the point of using names of characters in Castlevania titles, on enemies? seeing a brute-vampire called Brauner and seeing it mentioned before that you are searching for him made the encounter where I got a bit excited to see this incarnation being what it was, simply weird.
After "spoiling" it all for myself reading up what happened after and getting a bit of insight in the story/dlc, generic isn't really the term I would want to use, "lackluster" maybe.
All in all i'll probably youtube the bossfights/a few cutscenes because I did enjoy the visuals but found it a complete drag to actually play, felt like work and when there's a bunch of games I actually want to play it would be insane not to.
So overall I did not enjoy it and I feel a bit sad of where the new Castlevania series is going. /endblogrant
edit- after having seen the ending I feel like I was a bit to easy on it, the whole part with Gabriel, Zobek and Satan and every word spoken took "cliche" to a new level. I also feel like the game might have coloured Patrick's voice acting because he felt off throughout. --- Dark sorcerer, king of dark intentions, sensual pleasures pirate, constant hankering for honey, sprinkly toes thrillseeker extraordinaire.