Design Challenge: NewMode

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm
  3. Design Challenge: NewMode

User Info: Rayquaza487

Rayquaza487
3 years ago#1
So where should we start?
Christian and Proud. BELIEVE IT!!!
Ridley DECONFIRMED from Super Smash Bros 4/5!!!

User Info: BluesEclipse

BluesEclipse
3 years ago#2
We're settled on a Metroidvania-style mode, right? If so, we should figure out xp mechanics(if applicable) and some idea of general upgrades. We can do char specific stuff after.

BluesEclipse
3 years ago#3
I've given it a bit of thought, and I honestly think that the Smash Run concepts can easily be adapted to this. The stats would be the same - Speed, Jump, Attack, Special, Defense and Arms, but instead of being boosted by pickups they'd increase every level(levels gained RPG style, with different enemies giving different amounts of XP). HP would be added as another stat, as the game would handle damage similarly to Stamina mode rather than standard percentages. The catch would be this - the characters would start out with only basic attacks, a single jump, no shield or dodge, and no special moves. You can go to any area your character can reach - with different characters having different sizes, stats and mobility it'll pretty much create different paths for characters based on what you have.

As you progress and fight bosses(some of which would be other Smash characters, most would be augmented versions of the stage bosses to appear more like SSE), you'll find upgrades - double jump, shield, dodge, air dodge, flight(multi-jump for chars like Kirby that get it), and your numerous special moves. Some special moves will only be unlocked through this mode, and other upgrades would be unlockable for and exclusive to this mode - many of these would be character specific, as well, such as Samus's Morph Ball.

Save points scattered throughout the area would allow for character changing or saving progress, while your active character's moveset could be changed at any time while playing - but only between what that character has unlocked. I'm torn on whether the basic unlocks(double jump, dodge/airdodge and shield) should be character-specific or not.

Combat would, of course, be standard Smash combat, but using Stamina instead of Damage Percentage. Coins would be obtainable by defeating enemies and scattered randomly, and would allow the player to purchase items - and characters would have an inventory of 6 or 7 different items that they could carry, and access through their menu the same as they would their moveset changing.

The map would consist of various areas from different franchises - something like the Great Maze if all of the SSE areas were taken directly from games - and some paths would be blocked in ways that only certain characters would be able to pass or certain abilities would be required.

Rayquaza487
3 years ago#4
Amazing, exactly how I imagined it. This is exactly what I pictures when I mentioned the Smash Run for Wii U, but even better!

So what exactly should I do? Should I go into more detail in certain areas?

And I know you didn't mention it (but you probably thought of it anyway) so I thought I should add that we should mention this is how you unlock new moves for the "custom characters" Sakurai referred to. The upgrade paths could simply unlock new moves.

For Example, in the direct we see Mario with the ability to shoot out a myriad of fire-bullets at once, way faster than usual. His other version is a slow moving large fire orb. Maybe this is where upgrade paths could come in; after leveling up, players could choose various paths depending on how they want their character to play. Captain Falcon could have one path where he sacrifices his immense power for speed. Or alternatively, he could augment his slowness in order to intensify his massive strength. Kirby could choose to go the route of the direct and unlock elemental powers in one path, or choose the second path to increase his inhale ability (and unlock super inhale from the Kirby games to swallow multiple opponents at once, or simply increase inhale's range), and maintain his copy abilities for a longer period of time.

Now, Johnny said keep it short, but should we delve into our ideas more as in explaining the different areas and bosses one fights in this game mode? And what happens in the end?

We should also include a secret vs. Tabuu boss battle that has its own "exclusive rewards".

Rayquaza487
3 years ago#5
After re-reading your post, you didn't seem too sure about communal upgrades. Maybe we could make it something simple and incorporate various shops in various areas based on different series (like maybe you could find Toad's Shop in one area, and Funky Kong's Hut in another). Here you could unlock basic abilities, or use your experience points to delve into one of your character's upgrade paths. And at the end of the path, characters could learn their Final Smash, and possibly alternate ones (especially for characters with new ones now).

BluesEclipse
3 years ago#6
I'd say we not get too in depth about the details - just explain that there would be areas taken or modeled from different games, with related enemies. And I like the idea for communal upgrades, but with one slight change - the upgrade would still be obtained via a boss or finding it. It's only unlocked for other characters in the shop once one character on that file has found it normally.

I was actually looking at swappable upgrades, though - instead of being locked into a specific upgrade path for certain special moves, let you swap between moves like swapping out beams in Super Metroid, to use an example. Though you could still have upgrade path options to upgrade specific aspects of those moves. I was planning on having certain special moves unlocked this way, though. I'd say, come up with a basic description of areas and some of the bosses included - especially that Tabuu fight - and I can put together a more in depth look at the levelling system, move customization and upgrading, and the shop functionality.

BluesEclipse
3 years ago#7
I'll post what I have here - you can add your part and post it to the topic later, since I'll be at work.

This mode will be a hybrid RPG/Adventure mode, designed in the style of games such as Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Players will select a character to play through a sprawling, maze-like realm whose areas are drawn from the various games that Smash represents.

The characters will start without access to their full abilities - only basic attacks and a single jump will be available. No shield or dodge, no double-jump or flight abilities, no special moves will be available at this point - these upgrades will need to be either found or purchased. The maze will be designed in such a way that different characters can access different locations based on their basic abilities, size, and what upgrades they've unlocked - allowing for different paths of progression for different characters.

Characters will have seven different stats: Stamina(Determines the maximum health of a character), Speed(Determines movement speed and dash distance), Jump(Determines jumping height), Attack(Affects damage of basic attacks), Special(Affects damage of special attacks), Arms(Affects potency of item-based attacks and effects), and Defense(Reduces knockback and flinch, and can reduce damage taken by a small amount). Different characters will, of course, have different base stats, and as they level will gain points in different stats to improve their abilities. Levelling is handled like in any RPG - you gain experience from defeating enemies, and level up upon reaching certain XP totals.

XP can also be used to upgrade special abilities, once they're acquired - each character will have an upgrade 'tree' of sorts, with three different paths. To use Mario as an example, he would have a speed path, a power path and a balance path. The balance path would involve upgrades to his standard fireball and other attacks, the speed path would include alternate moves such as his fast straight fireball, while the power path would include his large, slow fireball. XP spent on these upgrades is still counted towards the character's total for levelling, and progressing down one upgrade path does not lock the character out of others - characters can have their upgrades spread over multiple paths, but will benefit more from a specialization. Most of these paths will end with a Final Smash option, which will serve as a sort of limit break for this mode - only usable after taking a certain amount of total damage, and below a certain percentage of their maximum HP. Characters can swap their equipped upgrades and specials at any time through the pause menu.

Some upgrades - including the 'core' upgrades(Double Jump, Flight(for characters that can use it), Shield, Dodge and Air-Dodge) are hidden within the maze, many guarded by bosses. Any of the six 'core' upgrades can also be purchased in shops, but only once the upgrade has been unlocked by at least one character. Coins are found throughout the maze and obtained from enemies to purchase these upgrades, and other items(most in-game items will be purchasable) - players can swap to items within their inventory(maximum 7 items carried) via the pause menu at any time.

Players can swap characters during play at any save points located throughout the maze, but each character's upgrades and experience are tracked separately. Some areas will only be accessible through the abilities of certain characters, or may only be accessible through the use of moves with certain properties, so if the player has a character with the appropriate abilities built up, or the available XP/funds to acquire these abilities, it will simplify exploration. Certain moves for moveset customization would only be unlocked through this method - as upgrades hidden within the maze, or at the end of upgrade paths.

Rayquaza487
3 years ago#8
Here are my ideas:

Stages:
Stages in this mode are based on interpretations of various famous Nintendo locations. The difference is that many of these locations are interconnected, as a result of doings of the Final Boss.

The 4 main areas are:
+Mushroom Kingdom
+Heavenly Skies
+Dreamland
+Hyrule

Within each of these areas are sub areas based off of other series. I.E. Mushroom Kingdom consists of the Kingdom itself, WarioWare Incorporation, and Konga Woods. Players may utilize various methods to go from world to world; each method depends on the character the player is using. For example, Pit and Kirby may fly to an area easily, while Bowser must find an alternate route.

To access new areas, players must unlock pathways via defeating the preceding area's Core Boss. These bosses include notable dignitaries from Ghirahim (Legend of Zelda) to Whispy Woods (Kirby), as well as more obscured figures (from Wart to Don Bongo).

In each area, players will encounter numerous enemies from their game of origin. Prepare to encounter a plethora of Goombas, Kremlins, and Waddle Dees.

If a character defeats a Boss in a specific way, or with a specific character, an "Alternate Route" may be unlocked. An example would be beating "Moley" (from the Kirby Series) as a character from the Kirby Series. As opposed to simply dying, Moley would burrow into the ground, and players would have to chase him into Monkey Mines and fight various DK enemies, then rematch Moley (Mecha Moly) at the vary end of this "Alternate" Location. Players can find secret abilities and new attacks in these "Alternate Areas" as well. This will encourage players to replay levels for new experiences, even after defeating the Final Boss.

The final "Alternate Area" is achieved by defeating the Final Boss with EVERY character. This creates a rift in time in which players can choose to enter. Inside is a battered up and beaten down Tabuu from Brawl, in which players can challenge in order to gain various unlockables (Such as Boss Battle Mode).

Who's this Final Boss I've been alluding to? He's simply the bearer of the two Hands, "The Creator". He utilizes moves of both Hands, and even some moves of Bosses of the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm
  3. Design Challenge: NewMode

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived