Where exactly did the term smurf originate from?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Where exactly did the term smurf originate from?
(message deleted)

User Info: MapleStory0Wind

MapleStory0Wind
6 years ago#2
DotA didn't have a matchmaking system like LoL did, so I have no clue.

User Info: ScaredChildren

ScaredChildren
6 years ago#3
other games, i thinks.
purdy shur
:>

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
6 years ago#4
If I'm correct, I believe it was some top player back in the 90's that had an alt account/accounts that used the word "Smurf".
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii63/Cromifost/PSN.png

User Info: DemaciaRookie

DemaciaRookie
6 years ago#5
I thought it had to do with The Smurfs cartoon.

Gargamel = Below 30 acc
Smurf = Lv30 playing on alt.

Smurfs seem to beat Gargamel because smurfs have more experience (or better tactics/moves/etc.)

I don't know if I'm making sense but thats whhere I thought "smurf" accounts originated from. <<
BBCS: Taokaka, Hazama
Akali's True Love: Shadows of Us

User Info: Loschen

Loschen
6 years ago#6
Internet history 101:

"it was started by Shlonglor, who is more than a SC player (he works for Blizzard as their webmaster). He was one of the all-time War2 gurus and was extraordinarily famous due to his war2 page ... still one of the best gaming pages ever created (although it's no longer anywhere on the net ... he took it down when he began to work for Blizzard).

Anyhoo, there came a point in Shlonglor's fame where no one but a few select individuals would play him; everyone, hearing his name, would do one of the following things: cower in fear, worship like mad, or repeatedly challenge like a newbie. In the midst of this it was virtually impossible for him to get a game.

SO ... Shlonglor and his roommate at the time, Warp, came up with a stroke of genius: make up a false name that no one would recognize and go beat the ***** out of newbies.

For whatever reason, the names they chose were "Papa Smurf" and "Smurfette."

From hence came the term "Smurfing."

(Shaf, 1999)

User Info: One_WingedFreak

One_WingedFreak
6 years ago#7
S4Lloyd posted...
Internet history 101:

"it was started by Shlonglor, who is more than a SC player (he works for Blizzard as their webmaster). He was one of the all-time War2 gurus and was extraordinarily famous due to his war2 page ... still one of the best gaming pages ever created (although it's no longer anywhere on the net ... he took it down when he began to work for Blizzard).

Anyhoo, there came a point in Shlonglor's fame where no one but a few select individuals would play him; everyone, hearing his name, would do one of the following things: cower in fear, worship like mad, or repeatedly challenge like a newbie. In the midst of this it was virtually impossible for him to get a game.

SO ... Shlonglor and his roommate at the time, Warp, came up with a stroke of genius: make up a false name that no one would recognize and go beat the ***** out of newbies.

For whatever reason, the names they chose were "Papa Smurf" and "Smurfette."

From hence came the term "Smurfing."

(Shaf, 1999)

true story?

User Info: loolp1292

loolp1292
6 years ago#8
that's an awesome bs story if it isn't true lol
Summoner Name: loolp

User Info: DiehardFFv2

DiehardFFv2
6 years ago#9
Possible verification

http://nathandemick.com/warcraft2-stories/story13.shtml
Let me introduce you to The Creator.

User Info: adept89

adept89
6 years ago#10
I can't speak for SC, but I remember back in Tribes if we suspected a high-level player was playing under a different name we would say they were "smurfing". So it at least goes back as far as Tribes.
Heavypress.
i'd sooner pursue a career in watching paint dry than watch two warwicks lane against eachother -- askpeevies
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Where exactly did the term smurf originate from?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived