LoL is causing my comp to shutdown. Help pls?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. LoL is causing my comp to shutdown. Help pls?

User Info: Hasire

Hasire
4 years ago#11
There is always a way to fix it, sadly it seems your computer knowhow might be lacking though, especially if you don't know what a driver is.
NA: Hasire

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 years ago#12
Well, when my laptop kept switching off at random and without warning, rolling back the driver helped.

Though I don't know if it would fix your problem, here's the general gist of how to do it:

Control panel > Device Manager.

There should be a thing labeled 'display adapter', go into it's properties and select "Driver Rollback".

Or if that doesn't work/isn't an option you could do the opposite and check for updates. Windows does that on it's own or you can look around the manufacturer's site (Intel, I'm assuming.)
"Now, I don't mean mod like putting a sight on it, I mean shotguns that fire rockets. Rockets filled with acid and cyanide. It's that kind of game."

User Info: KajeI

KajeI
4 years ago#13
Having just googled "Display driver" and reading the stuff that came up i know i've heard it used before. Something involving Nvidia direct X or my graphic card or something. It was a while ago. I thought rolling back the driver meant i had to move the driver or something.

I just looked at the properties and stuff. Roll back wasn't an option, and when i tried to update it it said i had the newest version installed already. I just searched the HP site for updates and it didn't help either.
GT:Amaideus.
Psn:Asetrisk.

Hasire
4 years ago#14
Then yeah, odds are either your fan isn't spinning or your thermal paste isn't paste anymore.

a 3 year old laptop is going to have a massive chunk of dust in the fan, so it could be either stopping the fan from spinning, or blocking the exhaust and just holding onto all the heat.

Sadly, if I recall correctly, the Dv6 has the fan under the mobo, and is rather hard to get to.

KajeI
4 years ago#15
Hummm... So why'd it become an issue today? I haven't even used my laptop as much as i normally do today. Should i find someone to try and fix the fan or do... something to the "paste" or what?

Hasire
4 years ago#16
First, focus on seeing if the exhaust is spitting out air/the fan is actually spinning.

If both of those are good, it could still be a software issue.

From there, you would want to check what your video chip is, and then check the maker site to make sure you have the most current drivers.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 years ago#17
In my case I could rule out overheats because my laptop displays a screen informing of "thermal shutdown" when restarted.

Of course, dunno if that happens for yours. So that's probably not helpful.
"Now, I don't mean mod like putting a sight on it, I mean shotguns that fire rockets. Rockets filled with acid and cyanide. It's that kind of game."

KajeI
4 years ago#18
I definately hear something spinning when i'm playing. I dunno how many things in a comp spin like that, but it sounds a lot like my Xbox. I've also felt some air going out, but not very forcefully. More "gentle breeze" than "fan on high".

Hasire
4 years ago#19
In my case I could rule out overheats because my laptop displays a screen informing of "thermal shutdown" when restarted.

Of course, dunno if that happens for yours. So that's probably not helpful.

The dv6 doesn't.

I definately hear something spinning when i'm playing. I dunno how many things in a comp spin like that, but it sounds a lot like my Xbox. I've also felt some air going out, but not very forcefully. More "gentle breeze" than "fan on high".

The dv6 has 1 fan, so if something is spinning, its the fan. I hope....

The air moving is also good. There probably is SOME dust build up, but not enough to cause a crippling issue.

Whats the full product number? I want to see what your chipset is.

KajeI
4 years ago#20
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family is the closest i could find.
It's processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors.

If neither of those is what you're looking for then i'm sorry, i dunno how to find it.

(Edit)
I gotta go to bed now, i got stuff to do in the morning. I'll check back and maybe bump this again tomorrow. Thanks for your help though! It was/is greatly appreciated.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. LoL is causing my comp to shutdown. Help pls?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived