Is the ranked system good?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Is the ranked system good?

User Info: BurritoGod

BurritoGod
2 months ago#1
Specifically do you agree or disagree with how many games it takes to advance. - Results (29 votes)
Agree. The amount of games required to advance a rank is perfect.
27.59% (8 votes)
Disagree. There should be more games required to advance in rank.
13.79% (4 votes)
Disagree. There needs to be less games required to advance in rank.
58.62% (17 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm not sure why gamefaqs wants me to enter text here. Do they want me to add bias to my own poll?
GT: WiestdaBeast

User Info: scaler24

scaler24
2 months ago#2
I think the amount of games is right. My main issue is with the promo system.

No matter how much people will say LP is meaningless and MMR is all that matters. Losing a promo feels Godawful compared to just losing a couple of points in the ELO system. I prefer the Overwatch ranking system in this regard.
"Anything that comes out of Annie that you try and spread on toast just gets you arrested"
PSN: LightningLoops - LoL(LAN): Scaler

User Info: BurritoGod

BurritoGod
2 months ago#3
scaler24 posted...

No matter how much people will say LP is meaningless and MMR is all that matters. Losing a promo feels Godawful compared to just losing a couple of points in the ELO system. I prefer the Overwatch ranking system in this regard.

How does the overwatch ranking system work?
GT: WiestdaBeast

scaler24
2 months ago#4
BurritoGod posted...
scaler24 posted...

How does the overwatch ranking system work?

Like the old ELO system worked in League. You lose or gain a certain amount of points each game and after you go past a certain threshold, you get into the same division.

It's a good system because it doesn't put the player under pressure by arbitrarily making some games way more important than others (promos).
"Anything that comes out of Annie that you try and spread on toast just gets you arrested"

User Info: SergeantGander

SergeantGander
2 months ago#5
^^ Also the issue I have with promos is that if you lose x amount of games in a promo you lose LP. I just 3-0'd a series and am sitting on 0 LP. While I'm glad I won I feel that to be fair I should have gained some LP for that. Especially when I'm gaining 27 and losing 13 or 14 a series really just feels like it slows down my climb.
LoL IGN: MsRaffensperger

User Info: scar the 1

scar the 1
2 months ago#6
scaler24 posted...

But um. Didn't they fix it so if you win a game just after promos, you end up back in promos again, maybe even with 1 or 2 games already won. I swear this happened to me.
Everything has an end, except for the sausage. It has two.

scaler24
2 months ago#7
scar the 1 posted...
scaler24 posted...

But um. Didn't they fix it so if you win a game just after promos, you end up back in promos again, maybe even with 1 or 2 games already won. I swear this happened to me.

There's a system in place below Gold 1 where if you reach Promos and lose, the next time you go into Promos you'll have one win secured.

Which helps alleviate the pain a bit, but the Promo games are still too high stakes. It also does nothing to help Plat+ players.

User Info: scar the 1

scar the 1
2 months ago#8
I see. I'm only silver so makes sense.
I kind of agree and disagree with the stakes thing. From an "educational" perspective, if you want to foster (and inspire) competitive players, high-stakes games are great. On the flip side, the stakes are completely arbitrary in that they don't represent the underlying MMR, which makes it all kind of wonky.
Everything has an end, except for the sausage. It has two.

User Info: TwoStrikes94

TwoStrikes94
2 months ago#9
the nature of the game, which is that your teammates deaths make the opponents exponentially stronger, and you can't have an effect on their play for 10+ minutes of each game, means the game inherently contains a larger luck component than most (if not all) other competitive games

the promo series and individual tiers within each league just serve to waste gamers time, keep them playing league longer, and create an artificial 'skill increase' that just isn't there.
http://i.imgur.com/U5y3b.jpg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoAQOiqKRg

User Info: metralo

metralo
2 months ago#10
Ranked system is fine, promo system is not. Promos are awful and I can’t believe they’ve been in the game this long.
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1298321979/image.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Is the ranked system good?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived