Really interesting stats on champion popularity.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Really interesting stats on champion popularity.

User Info: BurritoGod

BurritoGod
3 weeks ago#1
https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2017/11/champ-popularity-mixing-math-art/

This is how Riot apparently judges champion popularity and this has something to do with reworks and balance. Really cool charts on champ popularity as a marketing student. The first cross tabulation is really basic but they put some thought into the overall champ popularity graph through all patches.

Any thoughts on the most popular champs and any surprises that you thought were more popular or less popular? Do you think this should be something Riot takes under consideration?
GT: WiestdaBeast

User Info: bd43

bd43
3 weeks ago#2
It's a little shocking how many champions they deem unpopular, statistically. Seems like the stats are a little too shallow.
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.

User Info: Skystrike70

Skystrike70
3 weeks ago#3
how is tryndamere "popular"
Why is it called 'common sense' when it is so rare these days?

User Info: Cucumberflant

Cucumberflant
3 weeks ago#4
Can't say I expected Kayn to top the Depth axis. I mean I figured he was popular, but didn't expect him to be that popular.

i want to imagine that our local kayn fanclub president on this board is the sole contributor to that spike tbh
<QuantumBagel>: "TASing is like dissecting a frog and rearranging it's insides so it becomes a blood fueled squirt gun"

User Info: MachDragon

MachDragon
3 weeks ago#5
interesting stats? what's next, female pro gamers?
https://i.imgur.com/J2L0u2B.jpg

User Info: generalguy64

generalguy64
3 weeks ago#6
Cucumberflant posted...
Can't say I expected Kayn to top the Depth axis. I mean I figured he was popular, but didn't expect him to be that popular.

i want to imagine that our local kayn fanclub president on this board is the sole contributor to that spike tbh

Really? You don't expect League players to just flock to whoever is best at the moment?
A battle between Goku and any Yugioh protagonist ends in an infinite plot armor loop.

BurritoGod
3 weeks ago#7
MachDragon posted...
interesting stats? what's next, female pro gamers?

I'm a marketing student I love statistics.

User Info: Cucumberflant

Cucumberflant
3 weeks ago#8
generalguy64 posted...
Cucumberflant posted...

Really? You don't expect League players to just flock to whoever is best at the moment?

i said the depth axis

he's not the most popular champ in terms of most of the playerbase flocking to him (though he's still pretty high up in that respect and not really surprising) but that the people who play him are spamming a lot more games than even your yasuo / riven onetricks that feel like they're everywhere (and yasuo is indeed #2)
<QuantumBagel>: "TASing is like dissecting a frog and rearranging it's insides so it becomes a blood fueled squirt gun"

BurritoGod
3 weeks ago#9
bd43 posted...
It's a little shocking how many champions they deem unpopular, statistically. Seems like the stats are a little too shallow.

They didn't really say what the variables they used were for the main graphs they just said it was a lot of data. I'm curious to know at what exact point a champ is deemed unpopular on the graph. I only briefly got to look at it as I was working on a capstone project for about 8 hours in the library. I'll look it it again and comment back with anything I find tomorrow probably.

User Info: kkeevv

kkeevv
3 weeks ago#10
BurritoGod posted...
bd43 posted...

They didn't really say what the variables they used were for the main graphs they just said it was a lot of data. I'm curious to know at what exact point a champ is deemed unpopular on the graph. I only briefly got to look at it as I was working on a capstone project for about 8 hours in the library. I'll look it it again and comment back with anything I find tomorrow probably.

Low amount of players playing it and the players who are playing it aren't playing a lot of it. That's what they deem unpopular.
twitch.tv/Tsarius1
LoL IGN: Tsarius B.Net: Tsarius#1758
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Really interesting stats on champion popularity.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived