USA is looking to ban random item purchases or make them 21+ ratings for games.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. USA is looking to ban random item purchases or make them 21+ ratings for games.

User Info: CraiCrushna

CraiCrushna
1 month ago#1
In similar topics to this board and in the search bar I found nothing yet, so sorry if this was posted.

In the article on Gamespot:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/following-battlefront-2-comments-us-lawmaker-wants/1100-6455407/

This is the second paragraph.

"Lee provided the example of buying an in-game sword for $200. He's not going after games that offer items for a set price; instead, he is taking issue when players spend real money for only a chance at getting the sword (or whatever other item it might be). He suggests this is a form of gambling, and minor is defined as someone under the age of 21."

So, League will have to get rid of everything random that is available for money if this passes but they wont have to get rid of anything else as they have a store front. maybe they might have to get rid of Riot Points and offer the items in actual cash, I don't know, just speculating. If they don't get rid of the random chests then the game will get the 21+ rating when it's T for Teen at the moment.

My thoughts are: I would rather them get rid of the random loot chests to maintain the T for Teen but wouldn't mind if they kept it and let the rating go 21+ but that would hinder the competitive LoL scene as less minors would play so that would make an even lower Population for North america.

Thoughts?

User Info: Metal Gear Raxis

Metal Gear Raxis
1 month ago#2
If it gets rid of Gacha systems I'm actually all for this.
Friend Raynor, I can help no longer. Ima head back to the Void Holiday Inn and get a good night's sleep and hook up with you tomorrow for the next mission.

User Info: CraiCrushna

CraiCrushna
1 month ago#3
Ya, atleast this will try to kill Pay to Win games. maybe this will make Blizzard offer a store front for Overwatch skins instead of just RNG.

User Info: KajeI

KajeI
1 month ago#4
Man i hope everything resembling lootboxes are eradicated from the gaming industry within the next 5 years. I've hated them from the first time i encountered them back in Rumble Fighter as a wee teen.
Look, i can name a few instances in MY life where i tried to reach mutual understanding
and i can TELL you, always faster and easier to just kill em. Just is!

User Info: Kaname_Madoka

Kaname_Madoka
1 month ago#5
How is this gambling? Are Pokemon cards gambling? X to the D
Drawn for me: Volkswagen_Bros, ShinobiNinjaX, Popcorn_Fairy + Nayr626. https://imgur.com/gallery/B4o8m
League Summoner Name: DontIoseYourWay (the I is an i)

User Info: audriuska12

audriuska12
1 month ago#6
I don't particularly mind cosmetics-only lootboxes, but pulling that s*** on content with actual gameplay value is just being cheap. Or, technically, expensive, but you know what I meant.
*Facepalm*
Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. League existed without lootboxes and can continue to exist without them, but Hearthstone and the rest of the genre is about to get a fire lit under their asses.
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
Don't know, don't care.

User Info: CrowsB4Hoes

CrowsB4Hoes
1 month ago#7
CraiCrushna posted...
So, League will have to get rid of everything random that is available for money if this passes

https://gyazo.com/dd09061f548cf9c6bb67af8c289ba167
https://imgur.com/CL4CQRP
2017 GameFAQS LoL 1v1 tournament winner

User Info: Ya_dun_goofed

Ya_dun_goofed
1 month ago#8
Good, they need to be terminated.
"the ABSOLUTE LAST THING ANY adc needs right now is a nerf." - Crows

User Info: CrowsB4Hoes

CrowsB4Hoes
1 month ago#9
audriuska12 posted...
League existed without lootboxes and can continue to exist without them

and im sure their profits skyrocketed when they introduced the gambling aspect so im sure riot will do everything in their power to fight that legislation.. i mean look at that foo-- i mean responsible guy who spent all that money on skins, gemstones and boxes or whatever. im sure he's not the only one doing it too.
2017 GameFAQS LoL 1v1 tournament winner

User Info: audriuska12

audriuska12
1 month ago#10
CrowsB4Hoes posted...
and im sure their profits skyrocketed when they introduced the gambling aspect so im sure riot will do everything in their power to fight that legislation.

Not saying they won't, but League won't die if it passes. CCG's are in way deeper s*** with this.
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
Don't know, don't care.
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. USA is looking to ban random item purchases or make them 21+ ratings for games.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived