Dragon Quest X Offline Mode

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
4 years ago#1
I imported this game with the intention of playing it offline only. A not-so-well-known fact is that this game also has an extended offline mode where you play as the sibling of the main character. The real question that did not have a clear answer is whether or not you had to go online in order to unlock this "sibling" mode. I just finished the tutorial mode, and I now have an answer to this.

I am happy to report that you are able to access the offline "sibling" mode without having to connect to the servers.

After clearing the tutorial segment as the "main" character, I created my "online character" as normal. When it asked me a question after making my character (I assume it's asking if I want to connect online but I'm not sure) I answered yes, which should be the default prompt. After a moment, it brought up an error message (likely related to the Japanese server IP blocks) and booted me back to the Wii menu. When I re-launched the game, it offered me 2 choices now, an online or offline mode. I selected the offline option, and was able to begin playing as my character's sibling in the offline game without ever having connected to the online servers.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2

User Info: Erugios

Erugios
4 years ago#2
Yep. It's not terribly long though.
"One of these days, I'm gonna find a loophole my friend." - Man in Black

User Info: PedroMontana

PedroMontana
4 years ago#3
This was actually known, or at least semi-confirmed on this board for quite some time.
No More Heroes

CranberryPSO
4 years ago#4
It's certainly known that the game begins with the offline tutorial, and there have been several reports of the offline sibling mode. But it definitly was not clear if you could access it without ever going online. In fact a lot of the information seemed to suggest that after the tutorial it was mandatory to go online in order to continue.

Perhaps you knew you could access it without going online, and perhaps buried somewhere in the 12 pages of topics here someone might have mentioned it, but it certainly wasn't common knowledge and definitly not something that was made obvious from Google searches. In fact most of what I found suggested that you had to go online after the Tutorial, making it seem mandatory.

I made this topic to make it clear for anyone that might be considering importing this that there is more offline mode past the tutorial, and it's not required to go online in order to unlock it.

User Info: badboy

badboy
4 years ago#5
How long is the offline mode? Is it worth playing?

User Info: IqarP15

IqarP15
4 years ago#6
I'm guessing offline mode would last forever since the player is moving around that world as long as the player doesn't finish it. But what would the point of getting this game just to dilly-dally in offline mode at the start.
"SPOILERS"... If ppl call me a douche bag I reply "Well at least I'm scoring!"

CranberryPSO
4 years ago#7
I see my new guide has sparked a little interest in the offline mode. Cool stuff.

All right now.

For the length of the offline mode, let's assume that its your first time playing it, and you are not rushing through it as fast as you can and take a bit of time to explore and experiment with alchemy.

Between the tutorial and extended offline campaign, you can probably get about 12 hours of adventure through it. Obviously this could be a bit more or less depending on what you do and how long you poke around.

Once you complete the game, you regain control of your character and are free to re-visit areas and continue exploring so you don't need to have any hesitation about "finishing" the extended offline campaign.

When you finish the tutorial, you lose offline access to your "main" character, but you never lose access to playing as the sibling.

So, is this game worth importing just to play the offline mode?

Unless you find a truely fantastic deal somewhere, you're going to be spending more than $100 to import this, and not only that you'll need either a Japanese Wii or a Wii converted to run as a Japanese Wii using AnyRegionChanger (simply bypassing regon lock is not enough). And you need a 16 GB memory stick too. That is a lot of hassle and expense for what is about a 12 hour game offline.

Honestly, I can't say that it is worth it just for the offline game. Now, I imported it and I am enjoying it a lot even though I'm offline only, but admittedly the game is quite short and doesn't have a lot of content or variety of areas to explore. Your world offline is quite limited. That doesn't mean you can't have fun offline, but if you're looking for a great offline adventure, you're a lot better off choosing Dragon Quest 9 rather than 10 for single player offline gaming.

That said, it is a very intereting take on the Dragon Quest series, and I really enjoyed the graphics and animations that are in the game. It definitly still has the Dragon Quest charm and style that the series is famous for. I found the offline game to be a lo more fun and more interesting if you go it alone and don't recruit party members. It makes the game more challenging, and more thrilling in my opinion.

User Info: IqarP15

IqarP15
4 years ago#8
Started playing FFXI with a JP PS2 and then switched to the American version to play it in English. I'm never going down that route again. I can wait for the American version.
"SPOILERS"... If ppl call me a douche bag I reply "Well at least I'm scoring!"

CranberryPSO
4 years ago#9
Even though I chose to import,, I do hope that an English version is announced.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived