2017: Sword of Moonlight status report

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool
  3. 2017: Sword of Moonlight status report

User Info: arcnet

arcnet
10 months ago#1
For better or worse there isn't much to report this year Sword of Moonlight wise.

I shifted the focus to the art side, which means trying to establish a new art tool-chain for getting artwork into Sword of Moonlight.

Direct SOM stuff was limited to early in the year, and only short side projects; usually to blow off steam between big projects.

Of those, I think I added analog footstep sound effects and I remember improving upon the editor tool suite by making the master program a single instance program, and addressing changes Microsoft made to the new features of Windows 7 in Windows 8, which I did not become aware of until I adopted Windows 10.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update just weeks ago fixed a Windows bug in the new script editor that put underlines under all hyperlinks; many of which were simple buttons or breadcrumb style navigation links. This really bothered me. The bug only affected Windows 8 and 10. No one on the team responsible for the RTF modules knew about the bug until I reported it via one of the team member's blog last last year, and I was surprised that the fix made its way to the non-Office modules.

I think I worked on a fancy screenshot system this year. It could have been late last year though. My goal was to try to capture the new technology I apparently invented last year in GIF form. It could generate the GIF files, but browsers would not play them at 60FPS and did not follow the GIF specification, and so it was impossible to produce lossless animations for images with a lot of color. It was mildly effective at capturing the effect under certain constraints.

For the first month or so this year I worked on a rewrite of the Assimp library so that I could port earlier 3D tools to the rewrite to begin to improve upon them. I completed that, and the goal was to target COLLADA as an archival/exchange art file format.

I determined that it was impossible to continue to use Microsoft's X format, because it has lost all currency by now. From Software originally used X for this, and I think that was a good decision, but history has just not been kind to X, and I don't blame that on Microsoft in the least.

Unfortunately history has not been kind to COLLADA either. So after I did some initial assessments of COLLADA I had to turn to basically making COLLADA a viable technology. This is crazy frankly. No one has done it yet, and no one is likely to. It's functionally a dead technology that never lived.

But there's a big problem in 3-D, that's haunted me my entire career. I chose to face the problem. And when COLLADA was put forward it was in order to address this problem at the core of 3-D. And the situation has only gotten much worse with time. So, surprised that no one has stepped into this vacuum; I did so.

And this is why I have nothing much to report, because I've basically just worked on very basic COLLADA business for the remainder of the year. And that's not even COLLADA really, because it's just and XML schema, so really COLLADA is just XML technology wise. I've tried to make it possible to write software against the COLLADA standard. That means developing a competent XML software library for C++.

It's possible no such library for XML has ever existed. I don't know. There are so many software libraries that claim to be XML related that it takes less time to develop a software library than to review all of the existing ones out there. None stand out among them, so it suggests there's nothing going there, which could also explain COLLADA's failure to gain currency. (There's no competent implementation of COLLADA. What exists is useless, only 2% of what's imagined by the documentation.

Like I chose to rewrite Assimp, I chose to rewrite the original COLLADA-DOM library that's somehow connected to Sony. I created a development log here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/collada-dom/discussion/531263/

Mark Barnes has been helpful. And supports the Patreon.
Remember, this is Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64668593

User Info: arcnet

arcnet
10 months ago#2
I had to stop at character limit. Mark Barnes for what it's worth is one of the two people mainly connected to COLLADA. He's named in the Wikipedia page for it.

I wasn't going to write a second post. But I think that this year I did also finally nail down the auto-update downloader. Although it could've been last year.

It had used the WinInet library provided by Microsoft, but it just had never ending issues. It never seemed to work for everyone all of the time. I finally found a low level Winsock implementation of a downloader, and took that basic sketch of code and turned it into a good downloader that has so far been reliable for everybody.

Both Winsock and WinInet are offered as options. Winsock is the default.
Remember, this is Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64668593
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool
  3. 2017: Sword of Moonlight status report

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived