When is the right time to become a Mercenary?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mount & Blade: Warband
  3. When is the right time to become a Mercenary?

User Info: yienmaster

yienmaster
7 years ago#1
I'm thinking about becoming a mercenary for a vassal who's village I helped out in the past. I've already got a few points in my favor from helping his village and then meeting him on the road and getting thanked by him.

My question is, if I become a merc for him, am I considered part of that country then? Will I have to run from any armies of nations that country is not peaceful with? All the armies I see are huge on numbers (80+), and I think they'd crush me.

Here is my party at the moment:

Me, Level 8

About 30 men, in a 5-10-15 split between cavalry, archery, and infantry.
Average level of my men is 17, and they cost me 500/week.

So am I too weak to be successful as a merc, and would I find myself with my tail between my legs all the time?

On the subject, I got an invite for something out of the blue from a courier on horseback inviting me to join a faction/country. I don't remember if it was as a merc or a vassal or what, but I wasn't ready to commit. Does anyone know what type of invitation that would have been. I know I was totally neutral with the faction so I didn't understand why they sent for me.

User Info: zerozedi

zerozedi
7 years ago#2
Pretty sure invitations are only to become a vassel. Well being a merc you can just cruise around and do what you are doing now and really only go when you are summoned by a marshal. You will have a bunch of guys around to help you so it's a pretty safe bet. Only thing you gotta worry about are wandering lords of the faction your at war with.
Originally Posted by Go_That_Guy
Welcome to the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

User Info: yienmaster

yienmaster
7 years ago#3
Ok. Doesn't sound too dangerous. I might join up.

I'm sad to hear that that invitation must have been to become a vassal... and really confused. I had pretty much no contact with that kingdom at all. Weird. Maybe I should have jumped on that.

User Info: cid_leath

cid_leath
7 years ago#4
It's really not dangerous. You should be alot faster than other lords anyway so you can run if need be.
Become a merc, it gets a bit better. Esp when you get your first fief.
  1. Boards
  2. Mount & Blade: Warband
  3. When is the right time to become a Mercenary?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived