The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

quis est iste qui venit

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Silver Screemer

Silver Screemer
7 years ago#1
Anyone know what this means?

Doing a bit of research lead me to believe it's Latin, and a quick translation comes out to "anyone is that quae came"

Not very revealing.

Anyone have any idea why this is here above the bloody door after Nightmare run #2?

You're going to miss the courier and then I'm going to be forced to kill you. By forced I mean I will take great pleasure in ending your life. HURRY UP!

User Info: enigmaticman2

enigmaticman2
7 years ago#2
I put it into Wikipedia on Google and got a Wiki entry in Latin of the book of Job. The words "Quis est iste" started out the sentence. After that, I googled "venit" and found it to be a third-person usage meaning "to come." Thus, "Who is this coming?"

Apparently, it's also the title of a chorus piece:

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Quis_est_iste_qui_venit,_C._39_(Giovanni_Gabrieli)
No hay banda! There is no band! It is all an illusion.
~The Magician

User Info: MacDaddy Mike

MacDaddy Mike
7 years ago#3
I found this as the translation:

"Who is this who is coming?"
"Without Mac, there is no justice. Without Mac, there is no law. Without Mac, there is no LOVE" ~ jukester
{Board 548}

User Info: AndrewRogue

AndrewRogue
7 years ago#4
My girlfriend found a reference to it as part of a ghost story. Unfortunately, my internet is flubby right now, so I can't find it again.

But yeah, that translation is pretty much right on.
Dandy, I do believe that you missed the boat. -Pieke Okata
Missed the boat? Hell, he was at the TRAIN STATION. -Zaphod the Fourth

User Info: bezerker99

bezerker99
7 years ago#5
^ yeah....it's Latin and it is basically saying, "Who is this who's coming?"
- i drink your milkshake
4039-6086-3568 - Excitebike: World Rally

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived