Is it necessary/worth it?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NIER
  3. Is it necessary/worth it?

User Info: KaiserRyu2046

KaiserRyu2046
1 month ago#1
So I plan on buying NieR: Automata, but I was wondering if playing NieR is necessary or worth playing (I'm not to fussed about playing it if it isn't as good as Automata is hyped up to be). I don't have a lot of money so I generally don't buy games that are just average.

User Info: Dewcrystal

Dewcrystal
1 month ago#2
It's not strictly necessary-- Automata is a very distant sequel and stands on its own as a story and a game.

That said, if you're interested in the story of Automata as well as the gameplay, and have a little extra capital, I would highly recommend playing NIER first. There are a number of references (some minor, some very significant) that resonate much more powerfully if you understand their context from the first game.

Again, it's not a requirement, but if you can find NIER for fairly cheap (or borrow a copy, or rent one), it really adds to the experience for Automata.

User Info: Mashiyyat

Mashiyyat
4 weeks ago#3
Not neccesary but I would Def say it's worth it. Won't get into why as to avoid spoilers, but there were multiple moments that were more powerful as someone who played the orig. Also the orig is just a really special game imo.

User Info: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski
5 days ago#4
Necessary? No. But it is definitely worth it.
  1. Boards
  2. NIER
  3. Is it necessary/worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.