What games to play before Nier?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NIER
  3. What games to play before Nier?

User Info: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski
3 months ago#1
After playing NieR Automata and loving it more than any game since Bloodborne, I figured I'd go broke on Yoko Taro's games leading up to to Automata. I just picked up Nier today but I'm wondering whether I should play both PS2 Drakengard games first, or is it only the first game that ties into Nier? I'm currently playing Drakengard 1 and enjoying it. Does Drakengard 2 tie into Nier or NieR Automata? And how about Drakengard 3? Based on how much I have enjoyed Automata and Drakengard 1 I imagine I'll probably end up playing the entire Drakengard series in addition to the Nier series, but I'm dying to play Nier.

User Info: UbberDevil

UbberDevil
3 months ago#2
Only Drakengard 1 ties into NieR through its E ending. Drakengard 2 ties into just 1's A ending.

Drakengard 3 is a prequel to everything
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen.

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
3 months ago#3
Yeah, you can just go straight to NieR after finishing 1.

Drakengard 2 is a straight sequel to 1, but it has no connection with NieR. Taro also didn't work on it, so it ended up being the least memorable game of the series.

Drakengard 3 is prequel to all of the games, but the plot works much better if you already play the whole series (including NieR) before it.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

UbberDevil
3 months ago#4
I would recommend looking up Clemps on YouTube and watching his analysis on the Drakengard/NieR games; at least for the games you don't plan on playing.

He's a big fan of the series and put together a well informative summary of all the games.

SteveGrabowski
3 months ago#5
OK thanks guys. I'll jump on Nier as soon as I'm done with Drakengard. Drakengard 3 looks really interesting from the videos I have seen of it but man it got such awful reviews. Then again, so did Nier.

UbberDevil
3 months ago#6
Just be aware that Drakengard 3 was absolutely not optimized. Frames drop like crazy during fights; it turns into a PowerPoint presentation at times. Still has really cool ideas and sequences.
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

SteveGrabowski
3 months ago#9
Man Yoko Taro is a bastard. That final baby boss in Drakengard 1 is a nightmare. Now I can finally play NieR after beating that thing.

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
3 months ago#10
wait, you managed to beat ending E?
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!
  1. Boards
  2. NIER
  3. What games to play before Nier?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived