Death of Samus Aran

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid: Other M
  3. Death of Samus Aran

User Info: Kirutaru

Kirutaru
6 years ago#1
I was seven when I played Metroid. It was possibly the second game I ever owned. The difficulty of the gameplay combined with the age of seven leads me to believe I was eight or even nine when I beat the game. I spent these two years with my small collection of Nintendo games doing what I could. I'd say I was "learning the ropes" of video games. Eventually I was breezing through Mario games left and right, but Metroid (and Kid Icarus) always gave me some difficulty. Through out this period, I tried to play them and beat them regularly. Through out this period I thought Samus was a man - the Boba Fett of 8-bit. Two years later I was in for the surprise of my life.

Samus revealing herself to be a woman is ranked (easily) in the top 3 "most memorable video game moments" for me. She is the first STRONG, INDEPENDENT woman in a man's world (of video games protagonists). She doesn't need to be saved. She doesn't need to be told what to do or how to do it. She accepts an assignment and sees it through to the end - much like I struggled for two years to see her through it to the end. She perseveres. There was no need for dialogue, no need for story. The simplicity spoke for itself. (Lara Croft emulated this much, much later).

I am not opposed to the addition of a ... (I dare say) compelling story aspect to a Metroid game. I am opposed to the portrayal of Samus as a stereotypical woman. I thought she symbolized something greater than this. She was beautiful and delicate in appearance, but tough as nails when things needed to get done. I preferred her to be aloof and mysterious - especially if the alternative was I'd have to listen to her whiney robot voice internalize every single emotion to the point of ear bleeding tedium. Samus has always been (and should have always been) an "action first" type of gal. I feel like in an attempt to "humanize" her the best they could come up with to give her depth was that she's a woman - and I'm reminded of this pretty much in every cut scene - "Princess" and "Lady." What happened to the Samus who was practically genderless? The one who was really proving (by example) women can do what men do.

Apparently they can't anymore - not without condescending commentary from their former coworkers or the need to have an authoritative father figure dictate her orders. I half expected him to ask her who her daddy was - or have him fall to her knees at some point crying because her biological clock is ticking and now that her Metroid baby is dead she's all alone in the universe. It was simply nauseating. The abhorrent thought that the Samus I knew and loved (and named my daughter after) had been like this all along - secretly - constantly filled with fear, self-doubt and raging emotions (as well as a robotic monotone voice) - oh it's too much. I can't bear to think of her that way.

The Samus I knew and loved is dead.

User Info: J_Can_Man

J_Can_Man
6 years ago#2
What she symbolizes in the real world, doesn't necessarily mean she's a strong and independent woman in the storyline.

It all comes down to this: she's a woman.

Inb4CoolStoryBro
Inb4TL;DR
Inb4QQmore
Why don't you try to show a little more passion...? Ya know, like me!!
If you trade Pokemon with me, press X to turn off voice chat, FC's in profile.

User Info: ChaoticKane

ChaoticKane
6 years ago#3
To make a woman into the sterotypical man is sexist, and that's what everyone wants it seems.

Now, shes a strong woman, and everyone claims its sexist.
Brawl FC: 4296-3837-0014

User Info: DontDieNintendo

DontDieNintendo
6 years ago#4
Samus' character has been damaged, and there can be no reparations until someone seizes control of the Metroid series from Sakamoto. Only then can some of his asinine ideas be retconned and thrown into non-canon obscurity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugslL45aXk

User Info: FintinOBrien

FintinOBrien
6 years ago#5
It all comes down to this: she's a woman.

Wow. Just... wow.

To make a woman into the sterotypical man is sexist, and that's what everyone wants it seems.

No, I think what people want is to get rid of the nonsense of gender roles altogether. It's stupid, it's limiting, and it hurts both sexes.
RIP Demolocke - Parasite of the Galaxy

ChaoticKane
6 years ago#6
Problem is, the sexes ARE DIFFERENT, you can't act like they are the same because they aren't. Its science, its instinct, our bodies function differently, our minds function differently.

User Info: eric_otness

eric_otness
6 years ago#7
The only real difference I see between Males and Females is in terms of bodily functions. The mindsets are still quite the same.

User Info: BattaTheBeast

BattaTheBeast
6 years ago#8
Its science, its instinct, our bodies function differently, our minds function differently.

This has nothing to do with gender roles.

But then asking anyone defending this game these days to bother paying attention to what they're arguing against seems to be too much for them.
The speech you gave to the legless boy about hard work and making something of himself was fantastic.~ Bhelen Aeducan
Wario... Wario never changes. ~ belial_77

User Info: eric_otness

eric_otness
6 years ago#9
I agree, the whole gender roles thing is becoming quite annoying, especially seeing how it is affecting us heterosexual males in addition to females.

Heck, if you watch something like, say, Ikkitousen, and see how most of the girls act like complete... hope this isn't TOS related... bimboes, you'd be quite horrified, and it's almost the exact same thing in regards to the whole gender roles, and it also paints us heterosexual males in a very negative light. Plus, its because of trash like Ikkitousen that these whole "differences" between women and men even exist (as they used these so called differences as a way to demean women.).

ChaoticKane
6 years ago#10
Except it does, due to our differences men and women handle different roles with different levels of effectiveness or technique, its undeniable. That's not to say a woman can't do something a man is suited for or vice versa, its just that it comes at a higher cost to do so.

^ also your "insult" about defending the game proves your ignorance. I like the game, yes. You don't? Fine, don't insult me for it.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid: Other M
  3. Death of Samus Aran

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived