Is this even a Zelda game?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Jadedragoon

Jadedragoon
2 months ago#21
Sirbob posted...
It's a Zelda game because it has Zelda's face plastered on it. Similar to how Sticker Star is a Paper Mario game because it has Paper Mario's face stuck on it. That doesn't mean Skyward Sword is a good Zelda game, or Sticker Star is a good Paper Mario game. What it means that you can never trust things whos initials are SS. Of an unrelated note, I always hated social studies. Most boring subject out of all of my classes.

Well said Sirbob. I remember hearing about sticker star and thought.. who came up with the idea of consumable attack items and such for a game like paper mario?
Yoshi, Kirby, Link and Sonic walk into a brawl.

User Info: Sirbob

Sirbob
2 months ago#22
Jadedragoon posted...
Sirbob posted...
It's a Zelda game because it has Zelda's face plastered on it. Similar to how Sticker Star is a Paper Mario game because it has Paper Mario's face stuck on it. That doesn't mean Skyward Sword is a good Zelda game, or Sticker Star is a good Paper Mario game. What it means that you can never trust things whos initials are SS. Of an unrelated note, I always hated social studies. Most boring subject out of all of my classes.

Well said Sirbob. I remember hearing about sticker star and thought.. who came up with the idea of consumable attack items and such for a game like paper mario?

Attack items were always in the Paper Mario series. It's just that in Sticker Star and Color Splash, they are the only method of attack. Not to mention thing stickers, which are required to beat most bosses.

Jadedragoon
2 months ago#23
Sirbob posted...
Jadedragoon posted...
Sirbob posted...

Attack items were always in the Paper Mario series. It's just that in Sticker Star and Color Splash, they are the only method of attack. Not to mention thing stickers, which are required to beat most bosses.

Right. Turning the basic jump and hammer etc into consumables is what I meant besides the general needed ones for bosses. It's a terrible idea just like breakable weapons in breath of the wild

User Info: MeestuhSpakuluh

MeestuhSpakuluh
2 months ago#24
The reason Skyward Sword seems like a s*** game to a lot of people compared to other Zelda Games is because although it had the longest development time of any Zelda game, it was stuck in the planning phases for years due to Aonuma and Miyamoto being unable to agree on the controls. Eventually, Miyamoto won with motion controls but also changed things that Aonuma had to change back because it was already set in stone that they'd be apart of the game. Ultimately, it left them with only a year and a half to develop the actual game and as a result, there's a lot of back tracking and a smaller world in general.

Also, I think it still managed to turn out great considering it only had a year and a half to develop. The bosses are fantastic for the most part as it included Koloktos which is widely considered to be one of the best Zelda bosses out there, Ghirahim was a great main antagonist with a nice personality, and I like to think Fi was one of the less annoying characters out there. She did have some decent dialogue and had a brilliant design, especially in the Eldin region with the lighting.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, it had a s***ton of flaws such as a few mini games, repetition in areas, the Fire Dragon existing and getting off to a slow start, but considering it had only one year in development, I'd give it an 8/10.

Jadedragoon
2 months ago#25
MeestuhSpakuluh posted...
The reason Skyward Sword seems like a s*** game to a lot of people compared to other Zelda Games is because although it had the longest development time of any Zelda game, it was stuck in the planning phases for years due to Aonuma and Miyamoto being unable to agree on the controls. Eventually, Miyamoto won with motion controls but also changed things that Aonuma had to change back because it was already set in stone that they'd be apart of the game. Ultimately, it left them with only a year and a half to develop the actual game and as a result, there's a lot of back tracking and a smaller world in general.

Also, I think it still managed to turn out great considering it only had a year and a half to develop. The bosses are fantastic for the most part as it included Koloktos which is widely considered to be one of the best Zelda bosses out there, Ghirahim was a great main antagonist with a nice personality, and I like to think Fi was one of the less annoying characters out there. She did have some decent dialogue and had a brilliant design, especially in the Eldin region with the lighting.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, it had a s***ton of flaws such as a few mini games, repetition in areas, the Fire Dragon existing and getting off to a slow start, but considering it had only one year in development, I'd give it an 8/10.

I played it, beat it to a sufficient level and attempted hero mode but left it at that. The motion controls aren't entirely terrible. The only reason they're bad is the AI and their puzzle nature. The bomb bowling is good, targeting with projectiles is good and boss fights are well done as with koloktos. The free falling is s***, lack of anything in the sky besides one area is terrible and some characterization is out of the blue. The robot companion and entire robot mine part seemed out of place to me. The unbreakable spirit parts are like TP tear collection on steroids and aren't fun.

User Info: Mikk

Mikk
2 months ago#26
MeestuhSpakuluh posted...

Also, I think it still managed to turn out great considering it only had a year and a half to develop.

ahahahahaha

Nice magic trick, turning 5 into 1. Skyward Sword had 5 years development. If it took 4 years to get started, then that further proves how incompetent Eiji Aonuma is as a producer.

And even IF they only had 1 year, it wouldn't excuse all the terrible design decisions.
http://i.imgur.com/PMzaOmq.png

User Info: Machachan

Machachan
1 month ago#27
I consider SS to be by far the worst Zelda game that isn't CD-i, but it's not a bad game. Giving it an 8/10 is reasonable, and would probably be the average review score if it wasn't a Zelda game.

It has issues, but also good parts, and is overall fun enough for one playthrough.

User Info: Unboll

Unboll
4 weeks ago#28
I can't help but feel the exact same way. Me and my friend were die hard Zelda fans. We just couldnt get enough of the games. We loved to play literally every 3D Zelda adventure ever released. And then when this game came out, it made the Zelda experience slightly gouache and left us puzzling as to why we should complete the game. My friend later grew up and is currently thinking about getting married and starting a family. But the damage was done. He then lost his sense of adventure in the Zelda universe, his hair started falling out, and I don't know if he'll ever play another 3D Zelda title again. I'm still a hardcore gamer, but this guy is gonna have a family one day and he might never forget this. I will survive and play the next Zelda title, but it's like he'll never forget the meter bar in this game.
My Nintendo 3DS friend code is 1590-6094-1889
My Pokemon Omega Ruby character's name is Jason

Jadedragoon
4 weeks ago#29
No offense Unboll, but what does gaining a family and losing your hair have to do with not playing a 3D Zelda game ever? This title is simply one bad apple in a bunch of decent ones. I do think that a score of 8\10 for it being a non Zelda game would make sense. Typically speaking, if you've grown up and out of your usual gaming habits because of wanting to be a husband and father or wife or whatever of the sort, you'll be less likely to really get back into this gaming scene that continually seems to getting worse and more expensive over time. New systems come out and the games for each have costs. It's different if you're single with a disposable income for the kind of industry this is.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Mikk

Mikk
4 weeks ago#30
Unboll posted...
He then lost his sense of adventure in the Zelda universe, his hair started falling out, and I don't know if he'll ever play another 3D Zelda title again.

>Skyward Sword is so bad it causes hair to fall out

Nice.
http://i.imgur.com/PMzaOmq.png

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.