You know, this game's story is pretty good and you have to admit it.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. You know, this game's story is pretty good and you have to admit it.

User Info: Monadobuster

Monadobuster
5 months ago#1
Just saying it is. It's actually my second favorite Zelda story.
Isaac for Smash 4 Switch Edition! Campaign started as of 15/12/15.
FFBE ID: 306, 371, 187 Currently Playing: Etrian Odyssey 4

User Info: Robust

Robust
5 months ago#2
yup
See you, Space Cowboy
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Barrusu

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
5 months ago#3
I think the story was a huge letdown. It was supposed to be an origin story for the Zelda universe and it did a terrible job explaining the creation of things.
Community board for those interested in psychology and mental health:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1369-psychology-and-mental-health

User Info: Robust

Robust
5 months ago#4
PappinAce posted...
I think the story was a huge letdown. It was supposed to be an origin story for the Zelda universe and it did a terrible job explaining the creation of things.

it did a perfect job wtf
See you, Space Cowboy
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Barrusu

User Info: Mikk

Mikk
5 months ago#5
It retconned and ruined the original lore established by Koizumi. Especially concerning Ganondorf the King of Thieves, who was (and still is) the most developed character in the series. Demise is the worst villain ever presented in the series. You can barely call him a villain- just a mindless monster, not a relatable, pitiable character.

"evil monsters randomly crawled out of the ground" ... "the goddess flies up into the sky with a chunk of land" ... yeah great story.

And it's full of Aonuma's trademark ridiculous npcs. Impa is the only good character in the game, and she is based on the classic Impa from OoT (probably designed by Koizumi).
http://i.imgur.com/PMzaOmq.png

User Info: l_Xanato_l

l_Xanato_l
5 months ago#6
What did you think was good about the story, Monadobuster/Robust?

User Info: warpio

warpio
4 months ago#7
It's not so much the story itself that's great, but the storytelling. The way it's presented is like a work of art. The writing is fantastic, especially the messages from the Goddess, which are always presented in gold text, it gives me chills reading through it because of how good the writing is...

And I love all the little optional details you can find. Most people probably ignored most of it, but you can get little pieces of lore on all the enemies and characters by using d-pad down to talk to Fi while locked onto them... you can also use Fi's "Hint" option in every separate area of the game to get a little bit of lore on each of the locations... and then there's the gossip stones that you have access to later in the game, wherever there's a flock of butterflies, they have a bunch more little optional secret hints/lore details you can read... you can get a lot more out of the story the more you take your time with this game.
My Videogame Log: https://warpio.blogspot.com
Stuff I listen to: http://www.last.fm/user/warpio

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
4 months ago#8
warpio posted...
It's not so much the story itself that's great, but the storytelling. The way it's presented is like a work of art. The writing is fantastic, especially the messages from the Goddess, which are always presented in gold text, it gives me chills reading through it because of how good the writing is...

And I love all the little optional details you can find. Most people probably ignored most of it, but you can get little pieces of lore on all the enemies and characters by using d-pad down to talk to Fi while locked onto them... you can also use Fi's "Hint" option in every separate area of the game to get a little bit of lore on each of the locations... and then there's the gossip stones that you have access to later in the game, wherever there's a flock of butterflies, they have a bunch more little optional secret hints/lore details you can read... you can get a lot more out of the story the more you take your time with this game.

This is pretty much the way Metroid Prime told its story. It allows the player to uncover as much as he wants to. The more you investigate, the more meaning the adventure has. It's the most subtle way to reward exploration.

Skyward Sword was actually touching the surface of good storytelling here. They just didn't know it, and thus executed it poorly.
Community board for those interested in psychology and mental health:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1369-psychology-and-mental-health

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 months ago#9
That doesn't change the fact that the story was nothing special. It's really no better than OoT or ALttP in the story department. In fact, I'd argue that those games had better stories, since they didn't fail at trying to have a deep origin story. Those games didn't have stories that tried so hard to be good that they ended up as pretentious in the first place.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: shadowreaper7

shadowreaper7
3 months ago#10
Having recently replayed this (after... 4 years? Which is unusually longer than most game rotations in my collection) I still can't take to the story; it's not bad, but when you consider what it was pinned as and consequently the connotations and implications for such a story, it doesn't live up to be as spectacular as what it could have been.

As an origin game within the Zelda timeline, it does a somewhat poor job of detailing a true 'origin' even within a game series which isn't particularly dialogue/exposition-dump heavy and therefore doesn't need to do 'depth'.

Windwaker has a simple but effective story: Your sister is kidnapped because she happens to resemble a girl with long ears (a trademark of Hylian descendants) and you out of what will transpire to be courage (but in all accounts could be called stupidity) set off to pursue her, and find the world slowly being corrupted by Ganondorf's evil magic as he attempts to punish the gods and acquire the Triforce to do so. Journey around remedying these evils and you are shown to be worthy of wielding a powerful sword which can 'destroy' Ganondorf. The sword, however, is dulled because its power has waned since the sages holding a prayer for its power were slaughtered. Fate intervenes to show destiny to two new sages. After restoring the Master Sword (and acquiring the Triforce of courage to show the Gods that you are once again worthy) you face off against Ganondorf, who for once actually seems somewhat relatable (well until you plunge your sword several inches through his skull).
The reason that I say Ganon is relatable, is that it's not 'fate' intrinsically that his driving him towards his goal, but the circumstances of his life in contrast to that of others. Growing up in a Desert, where life withers and dies, where the wind carries nothing but death, all the while watching as other kingdoms are blessed with bountiful crops and rain on the wind. When he offered his prayers to the gods he was met with nothing but silence.
You don't have to like his actions, but for once he was more than a two-bit villain out only for power and power alone without any predilections.
Even the ending is somewhat fitting with this, where although he doesn't get his power, he cackles maniacally at the fact that the King of Hyrule has enacted some form of destruction for him, and finds the entire act vainglorious and ultimately pointless "...See how much your precious Triforce is worth!"

As an 'Ending' Windwaker does a brilliant job at completely limiting a possible line of play/narrative whilst still leaving some openness. Now, regardless of whether there is a point to this due to the boundless possibilities within fiction narrative, it is still important for what makes a story good because it at least holds the illusion of some permanence preventing any more stories in a specific direction (I.e. 'Original Hyrule').

Skyward Sword however, in stark contrast, doesn't do a good job at making the origins finite, whilst also creating a sense of Boundlessness for the possibilities of the future games (which many already exist). It either makes the boundlessness truly boundless (infinite), as it does with the origins of the chosen hero, 'princess' and a villain, or it forgets itself entirely, such as the origins of Hylia, the Dragons, the creatures of Hyrule, or the Triforce itself.
The conclusion that Evil will constantly be reborn into the world renders pretty much the entire premise of such a story pointless. If Evil can never be completely destroyed, yet good can never completely prevail - and this was and will always be the case; why did I need to play this game when every other game in the series has led pretty much anyone that has played them to this conclusion?
It had potential to create a villain which didn't need fate, to insist that there is evil beyond 'power'. But nope. 5 minutes after meeting I will be reborn into Ganondorf, see you in the next game.
3DS FC: 2578 - 3653 - 3599
You know you could just quote me. Seeing as you spent the time saying exactly the same thing... just later...
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. You know, this game's story is pretty good and you have to admit it.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived