V2's and Dodging in General

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. V2's and Dodging in General

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
1 year ago#1
Quick questions - started playing this game again, on my Vita this time (forgot you can do that with the PS3 transfer trick ! Looks great on the bigger, brighter screen!) - even though I've had this game for a long time, and actually beat it on PSP years back.

Anyways, just have a few things I wanted to run by you guys (if any of the regulars are still around here now and again):

1.) Dodging - is it 100% true that as long as you are completely behind (Blue coloring when you target the enemy) that they cannot dodge / drop to the ground / etc - no chance at all ?

2.) V2's - can they EVER dodge attacks ? I don't think they have the drop animation available to them, but they might have a shield block - I can't recall. If not, then that means you don't really need to worry about flanking them, per se - you can just drop their shield by taking out the Supply Vehicle, then take a sniper and just headshot them from "straight on" - no need to flank, get behind, etc (other than maybe slightly higher damage inflicted) - correct ?

3.) Is there any character that you'd ever want to make a Tech Veteran (that side of the tree for Armored Techs), or are almost all of them better / more useful as Fencer Elites / Maulers ?

User Info: DarkHeroMind

DarkHeroMind
1 year ago#2
1) It's more like 99% true that as long as you are completely behind, they cannot dodge your attack. There have been very rare moments where an enemy unit dodges me from behind. I only remember it happening once, and that was against the Enemy Commander in the February story mission.

2) V2s cannot ever dodge attacks. They can only shield block if the Supply Vehicle is still around in the area, but why would you attack them when they're powered up anyway.

The only exception to this is Dirk, who you only have to really fight near the end of the main game. Even with the Supply Vehicle taken out, he can still block your attacks if he wants.

You're much better off taking out V2 units from the front rather than behind because the hitbox for headshots is much larger up front than behind.

Snipers, especially when upgraded to Sniper Elites, are a great way to kill them. If you have a really good tank turret, you could go for a headshot. This is the much safer method for fighting Dirk, though he can actually damage your vehicle with intercepting fire. If you're going to use Shocktroopers, the safe way to do it is to throw a grenade, then take another action to aim for the head. Or if you're feeling lucky (or get potentials activated), you can just fire away.

3) I never saw a point in upgrading a character to a Tech Veteran. They are always better and way more useful as Fencer Elites and Maulers. You put Defense Coating on Fencer Elites and Maulers, these units become literal walls. Great for defend missions and any situation where sending out other units would get them probably killed right away.
Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/wanderingmind

AlekTrev006
1 year ago#3
thanks for the comments, Dark Hero !

Good to see a few of us are still alive on here- lol.

So - I wanted to make an observation - and ask a few more questions, etc. Just a general conversation thread, about the game and where I'm at so far.

First...I just noticed something...the infamously powerful Idun SP B and Valholl SP B...DLC weapons.... if you look closely, I think they are identical, in visual appearance, to the weapons that General Baldren Gassenarl employs against you in his Boss Battles ! For a long time, I wondered what the SP B stood for. I'm going to make a guess that it stands for "Special - Baldren" // like "Special Weapon - (of General) Baldren" :-)

---

Now, I'm in November - about to take down Anthold's story missions, and of course I'm loving the game. I have a designated "A Team" that I've been building up - though a few will be subbed in as later Post Game additions join (most notably the excellent Lancer - Jugin).

I'm (more for fun that for actual use) building up the others even if I don't use them as my "main team" - so they'll be functional on the Final Exams and for subbing in should main team members ever go down and get Hospitalized for a few missions.

---

Fun thing with Ingrid, I noticed.... most talk about just taking her down the Fencer Elite route, right away, as she'll get 4 different Anti Personnel boosting Potentials / skills that can go off, as she moves to attack an enemy. However, if you note the left side of the tree (and yes, this takes longer to work your way too, and may be unnecessary), she can actually get Super VS Personnel from her Tech Elite class. If you get that - THEN eventually go back to Fencer Elite, as her "final form"... she will have:

1.) Broken Reality - (raise attack power against Infantry targets)
2.) Good Omen - (raises attack power against Infantry, and attack accuracy)
3.) Prophecy - ("raises various abilities")
4.) Overrun - (raises attack power against Infantry targets, and your defense, when closing on an enemy)
5.) Super VS Personnel - (raises attack power against Infantry targets)

FIVE ! Five abilities that can potentially go off, and boost your attacks against Infantry. Even if you figure Prophecy as not "100% being one" - that'd still be four. With High Morale, at least one should be popping up nearly every action you take with Inghild. Additionally, throw in the ludicrous 900-Attack strength Eberouge DLC greatsword, and you can be like He-Man, shouting out "NOW I...HAVE....THE.....POWER !!!" - as you devastate any and all foes who dare to stand against you !

:-)

DarkHeroMind
11 months ago#4
Oh man how did I miss this reply. I really should be better about checking this forum, then again I haven't really been able to check all week.

A lot of what I say here comes from a speedrunning perspective, so it's going to affect the kind of strats I go for here. I also haven't touched the postgame in about 4 years, not since I went for all 27 medals. I am thinking about replaying the game past the main game, but it may be a while.

You're probably way past November by now. I always found that the best strat for the story mission was to have Zeri just run for it and throw 4 units at the camp in the same area as the Geirolul. Not killing anyone, only stopping to heal. Defense coating works wonders for Shocktroopers.

---

Thinking back, I could have done things a lot differently in the postgame. I only had like one Mauler and one or two Fencer Elites for most of the time, which made the Final Exam and a lot of the other missions interesting to say the least.

I only realized how much of a difference Temporary Coating could make when I was almost done with my 27 medals + DLC playthrough like 4 years ago. It was the reason I could do The Cerulean Catastrophe to be honest.

---

I will definitely have to try that out with Ingrid. You're really making me want to do the postgame once agian. XD;

---

The only weapon I have really used on my tank is the Cptd AA Gtlg A1. I used that for the majority of my original playthrough 4 years ago, then the last casual playthrough I did about 2 years ago, and for all of my speedrun attempts. It's really broken the game in ways I couldn't have imagined.

The Light Tank B gives me just enough height to snipe one of the engines by shooting from near the camp in Area 2 during Clash Aboard Deck. It lets me skip having to hit the west switch in Area 1 to reach the engine otherwise.

---

Now here's the weird thing.

Sometimes the Cptd AA Gtlg A1 lets me do more damage than the game is intended. I've noticed this in 3 areas.

Laevatein Finals (July): I can get over to Juliana on Turn 1 and kill her. What I do here is get my tank out, run her over, then immediately move my tank to where I knocked her. If done correctly, the game will spawn her facing away from me. I will then back my tank away from her and aim for the head. Sometimes I can take her out in one headshot without potentials, other times she has just a small amount of health left. It seems to be completely random.

The Ultimate Weapon (November): Matz, the ace for this mission, seems to take 4 shots to the front or side before it gets destroyed by my tank equipped with this turret. I have done some messing around with this mission. For some reason, if I do things a certain way and have my tank in a certain spot, it will only take 3 shots instead of 4. I really want to look into this again.

The Final Battle (December): I figured out a way to kill Baldren in one turn. It involves me getting to Area 4 right away, and having someone like Avan turn Baldren away. I use my Light Tank B to destroy the engine on his back since he won't be able to counterattack. Normally it takes 2 shots. If I deploy my tank and shoot him from the platform, I can destroy the engine in 1 shot. I wonder if it has to do with shooting much further than intended and the game doesn't know how to handle it, so it lets me do more damage. I wonder if this could also explain why my shots seem to sometimes fire way out of my aiming circle.

My shots completely missing sometimes like that is something I have also observed in The 9th Heavy Infantry (September), usually when I try to snipe enemy units with my tank from afar.

---

Long reply, but I'm glad to see other people active on here. XD

AlekTrev006
11 months ago#5
I did get through to the Post Game - the Final Battle I ended up having Avan go into Area 4 first (Baldren had moved there to take back the flag on his turn, but he stands there, right at the right flag, after reclaming it), and I turned Baldren to face me. Then spawned in Marina (Sniper Elite) and ran like heck for the nearby doorway, taking one shot from Baldren that nearly killed her, then ended turn. I used an Order to Request Heal to boost her up to full again (1 CP - handy order)... then back to Avan, who took a swing with Eberouge (Fencer Elite) that did slight damage to fully energized Baldren, but successfully turned him to face Avan - I immediately ended turn after.

Back to Marina - who slow walked a few steps to the left - to bring Baldren's backpack energy source into view, then took aim and slammed him with 3 shots from the Asgar-g21 (supreme Sniper Elite rifle, from the Roendahl EX DLC mission - fairly easy (though lengthy) to complete, even with Level-30 to 35 guys, before the end of the regular game).

The shots took out the energy pack, and dealt HUGE damage to Baldren, overall....like...he had maybe 40% HP left -maybe less ? One more CP was spent to go back to Avan, who triggered Overrun (for even more personnal damage), and one mighty swing into Baldrens back (he'd turned to face Marina after she had shot him)....and the madman was defeated!

-------

Post game is fun and adds a ton of content, especially with the DLC missions, as many of them are 3-Star, so you can't even try them out till after you end the game. Then there's the Lavinia mission, leveling up Jugin, Alicia, Brixham, etc... - so the amount of "stuff" you get from the single purchase of the game + DLC is pretty amazing. Very good value for money spent, I think.

I'm currently getting a few more Hervor G21's for the scout elites in the squad, in the easy Lanseal box recovery Exercise vs Class mission (2 Star DLC), then will go back to the Final Scout Exam a few times to pick up a Helmwige G21 for Heavy Scout Helmut, and at least 1 Scogul G21 for Melissa (probably going to make Brixy my 2nd AT Sniper, as he has Vehicle Assault, Ammo Refill, and Critical Attack, if you level him up down the Sniper Path (his supposed "real class" in the actual game story / history).

--------

I found out Doerfein EX (The one that drops the infamous Idun SP-B machine gun) - is actually rather simple with Fencer Elite Avan, and being around Level-38 to 40. You can beat it easily in 4 turns, even if his Double Movement doesn't trigger at all, and walk away with over 550,000 EXP for an A-Rank ! Plus, with so many Orders at your disposal, there's really no way for you to die, unless you walk on a mine, and stop next to one of the Flamethrower APC's. It's a really easy way to rack up EXP to help max out your classes, or just pick up several of the "game breaking" Idun's, for your Shock forces.

DarkHeroMind
11 months ago#6
That sounds like quite the way to take down Baldren!

So I mentioned my quick kill setup, once I destroyed the engine, it was headshot, then bam, the finisher. Three tank shots were all I needed to kill him on Turn 1.

Looks like school just got out.

(I have a habit of saying that every time I defeat Baldren in that mission and Baldren's Ship, the last postgame mission.)

---

I strongly recommend leaving the 3-star DLC missions until the very end, when you're like almost done with the postgame. Particularly two of them, The Ultimate Challenge and The Cerulean Catastrophe. Both of those missions will put your skills to the limit and they can be downright unfair at times. Unfair like Beyond the Flood Gate *shudder*

---

I managed to A-rank every single mission in the main game on my first time through except for Beyond the Flood Gate. I felt like the game was out for my blood, but I eventually completed that mission. I still get nervous every time I do that mission though, even to this day.

----

I'll definitely look into trying out the Idun SP-B machine guns.

---

I'm definitely going to hook up my PSTV and boot up VC2 to see what I can do better with the postgame. Should be fun!

AlekTrev006
11 months ago#7
Good to have you as a discussion buddy here, Dark Hero !

I just got all my guys to Level-41, and things are going okay. Finished up the annoyingly long Final Tech Exam, and got a Yule g21 (300 Personnel attack / 500 Armor). I probably am only going to get 1 more - as I only plan to have two Special Techs (the ones with Flashbang grenades) - since I never used them my first time through the game, years ago, and the concept of being able to nullify enemy counterattacks / interception fire sound great !

- side note - do you know if the Flash Bangs can affect vehicles and armored targets too, in addition to troopers ? If so, wow - this could be a huge plus against some of the annoying Cannon Towers / Bunkers the game likes to throw up in many of the later missions. Heck, it might even work on V2's ? (Shielded or otherwise).

----------

DarkHeroMind
11 months ago#8
Oh yeah I remember the Final Tech Exam taking forever. I think that's the one mission where I wish I had the Enemy Phase speed set to anything but Normal.

I don't know if Flash Bangs work against vehicles and armored targets, but they work against Baldren. Seriously it breaks him so hard. I'm not sure about the V2 units though.

AlekTrev006
11 months ago#9
What's your feelings on Elite Gunners - as opposed to Heavy Gunners ? I just got a Muspell G21 to drop from the Final Shock Exam, and that's the best Elite Gunner weapon - I think - but I know the Alvitr G5 weapon you can get from the final-final mission Ace, is arguably better. But...since that's literally the very end of the game that it can be gotten....would the G4 version be better or more useful than the Muspell ?

In other words - if all you are going to do is deploy the Gunner at your base / flag zone - and defend from enemy attacks, would you ever want the Elite over the Heavy version ?

DarkHeroMind
11 months ago#10
I didn't use Elite Gunners all that much. Unless you want to have units with more mobility, as in positioning them out of the base, you're better off with Heavy Gunners. I would want to say that the G4 version would be good enough. And you can always combine 2 different kinds of Gunpowder to give your units a significant Vs Personnel boost thanks to Temporary Coating.

Heavy Gunners have different weapons to develop from Elite Gunners, which are both different than the weapons the regular Gunners use, so that should be more reason for you to stick with Heavy Gunners.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. V2's and Dodging in General

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived