Creating a postgame guide

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. Creating a postgame guide

User Info: DarkHeroMind

DarkHeroMind
8 months ago#11
Yup there you go!

I wish this guide was the sort of thing I worked on when the game was newer, but hey, better late than never!

I've made some videos for some of the tougher DLC missions in the game.

The important thing to remember about most of Valkyria Chronicles II outside of the story missions is that there is a ton of RNG that goes into most of the missions. So whenever I work out strats or anything of the sort for a particular mission, these missions have many different ways of completing them. And often times, I have to come up with strats on the spot in case something goes wrong, which it usually does.

That being said, I've been working in reverse mission order. I go through the missions I would save for the very end of a playthrough, then work backward as I try to figure out classes for my units, what weapons to get, and what temporary coating to get.

I just recorded Cerulean Catastrophe so I'm waiting to upload it onto Youtube.

Here are the missions I've done videos for:

Ultimate Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKeeYGCw8E

Final Scout Exam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iznDwxvHBck

Final Trooper Exam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRZbgi1uFo

Final Lancer Exam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgg4rnCGlEA

Final Engineer Exam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7XafUYJQ8
Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/wanderingmind

User Info: Metrokidd

Metrokidd
8 months ago#12
Late is definitely better than never.

I have arrived at this game kinda late myself, but I think it's pretty cool (some) people are still talking about this little beast of a game! Here, and on YouTube. So I'm not the only one out there having fun with this game.

So, I'm gonna watch your guides because last night, for the first time, I had to quit a mission because it got too hard!!! That pesky Dirk kicked my ass back to 1932!

Seems more and more stuff is unlocking. It will be handy to see how you approach some missions. So far I've made it this far without using any engineers or anthem corps!

DarkHeroMind
8 months ago#13
This is like the one game I would never get tired of playing over and over, haha.

I'm glad you are making progress in the postgame!

The one thing I want to be able to figure out right now is how many weapons I need to develop to unlock Over in a Flash in the Store. That one seems to be the most difficult to unlock. Once I figure that out, everything else should be very easy to write.

So I'm going to start a new file and see if I can figure out an exact number.

DarkHeroMind
8 months ago#14
I'm giving myself some space from the game so I don't completely burn myself out.

Oh yeah Metrokidd, if you're reading this, tell me when exactly you unlock Over in a Flash from the store. It's 50% of the weapon R&D by the way. With the way you get weapon stocks, you're probably going to upgrade one weapon at a time before you do another mission. I would like to get as close of a number as possible so I could figure some stuff out.

I would try to do it myself, but I'm so busy with other parts of the guide that it's difficult. Feel free to use the spreadsheet and I could probably suggest missions to grind out. In fact, I could probably make videos on how to do them quickly if you so wish.

Metrokidd
8 months ago#15
I must admit I've been using the other guide to find Aces in the field, and I've missed some of them (because they weren't included in the guide) so I don't know if this affects unlocking anything.

But yes, of course I'll post you a message when/if "over in a flash" unlocks. We can't be having you burn yourself out man lol. That might spoil the game for you!

Meantime, hope you enjoy the festive period!

MK

User Info: InfiniteSheldor

InfiniteSheldor
7 months ago#16
I'd like to finally work out how many you need for "Over In A Flash" too. I haven't touched my main file since that one night we worked out numbers and still couldn't figure it out...

DarkHeroMind
7 months ago#17
Between getting sick and moving, I've been taking it really easy.

I only listed the Aces for the infantry weapons on the spreadsheet since I'm more concerned about those at the moment. Basically anything else will unlock stuff in the tank R&D. I'm not too particularly worried about tank R&D because you don't need weapon stocks to build parts. Most likely, you will have a lot of materials left over from farming weapon stocks, getting certain credit drops, and getting the 5 / 10 / 15 CP usage requirement to unlock classmate missions. You can then run through Ultimate Challenge about 2-3 times to get enough money to buy whatever tank parts you need.

I want to list the missing Ace locations when I can. I could make it into a section of the postgame guide.

I really enjoy working on the DLC missions and the regular 3-star missions, so I will definitely focus on those when I feel like looking through the game again. Class levels thankfully don't matter too much in VC2 aside from very small health increases and unlocking orders. Really, once you get a lot of your units upgraded to third-tier classes, max out their armor, and get enough DLC weapons, you can take on the entire postgame. And of course, you should finish Lavina's classmate mission to unlock Tank Mastery.

Those missions are very time consuming, even with Enemy Phase set to Instant, so it should keep me occupied for a while.

One thing I noticed about Tank Mastery is that Big Sister will always activate first, so you may have to move a few AP for it to activate. It's not really a problem unless you have a Ghost Tank within firing range. Those things fire surprisingly fast.

Maybe I can put together a checklist for keeping track of progress toward Classmate missions.

InfiniteSheldor and I spent a few hours one night just working out the numbers. I have the information saved in a text document somewhere.

I guess that's it for now!

Metrokidd
7 months ago#18
This will definitely keep you busy for a while.

Back to December again, after doing all the post game missions and upgrading whatever I can, and still no "over in a flash mission". I also discovered that some paid missions are only playable between certain months. Ugh!..

(-_-')

The game has many little odd things that are unexplained i think. Maybe you could include a little FAQ section just explaining stuff you have picked up from playing. For example, the months menu says "COMPLETE" in either blue or gold. What does that mean? I assumed that when selecting a mission and the month says complete in blue, that there's an outstanding ace or something that hasn't been addressed in one of the missions. Also, a curiousity from the first game is how infantry gets hospitalized when enemy units "run over" downed allies. This is quite a random quirk of the game i think, and what happens when it's the other way around? I walk over a downed enemy any it just disappears, so i assume it has no other effect?

One last thing to add is selecting an enemy to attack and lining two enemies in one shot, the highlighted enemy will be the one that returns fire after an action is taken against them, even if there is another enemy unit in-between. This causes "friendly fire" on the enemies part and helps a great deal in the harder post game missions!

User Info: InfiniteSheldor

InfiniteSheldor
7 months ago#19
DarkHeroMind posted...
InfiniteSheldor and I spent a few hours one night just working out the numbers. I have the information saved in a text document somewhere.

Thank God you saved that. Way too many messages to go through to find them again, haha.

Metrokidd posted...
The game has many little odd things that are unexplained i think. Maybe you could include a little FAQ section just explaining stuff you have picked up from playing. For example, the months menu says "COMPLETE" in either blue or gold. What does that mean? I assumed that when selecting a mission and the month says complete in blue, that there's an outstanding ace or something that hasn't been addressed in one of the missions. Also, a curiousity from the first game is how infantry gets hospitalized when enemy units "run over" downed allies. This is quite a random quirk of the game i think, and what happens when it's the other way around? I walk over a downed enemy any it just disappears, so i assume it has no other effect?

One last thing to add is selecting an enemy to attack and lining two enemies in one shot, the highlighted enemy will be the one that returns fire after an action is taken against them, even if there is another enemy unit in-between. This causes "friendly fire" on the enemies part and helps a great deal in the harder post game missions!

1. If it says "Complete" in blue, it means you beat every mission for that month. If it's gold with a crown next to it, it means you A-ranked every mission in that month. Same goes for Paid Missions, Extras, and -I think?- Classmate Missions. Note that, if you beat/A-rank every mission in a month before beating the game, it will still appear, then disappear when you beat the game and unlock the 3-star missions. For Paid Missions and Extra Missions however, "Complete" only appears when you beat/A-rank every mission.

2. This is so that no-one dies. Note that in VC1, only "key" characters appeared in story cutscenes, so that if anyone died it wouldn't effect anything. Now there's Side Events and Classmate Missions that involve all these units, it would f*** everything up if someone died.

As for if anything happens if you go over a downed enemy? Nothing as far as I'm aware. I used to think that you had to do that to enemy aces to retrieve their dropped items, but I worked out after a while that I didn't have to.

3. We're aware of that, and boy is it weirdly satisfying, as is making enemies kill each other with their own interception fire haha.

Metrokidd
7 months ago#20
InfiniteSheldor posted...
DarkHeroMind posted...

Thank God you saved that. Way too many messages to go through to find them again, haha.

Metrokidd posted...

1. If it says "Complete" in blue, it means you beat every mission for that month. If it's gold with a crown next to it, it means you A-ranked every mission in that month. Same goes for Paid Missions, Extras, and -I think?- Classmate Missions. Note that, if you beat/A-rank every mission in a month before beating the game, it will still appear, then disappear when you beat the game and unlock the 3-star missions. For Paid Missions and Extra Missions however, "Complete" only appears when you beat/A-rank every mission.

2. This is so that no-one dies. Note that in VC1, only "key" characters appeared in story cutscenes, so that if anyone died it wouldn't effect anything. Now there's Side Events and Classmate Missions that involve all these units, it would f*** everything up if someone died.

As for if anything happens if you go over a downed enemy? Nothing as far as I'm aware. I used to think that you had to do that to enemy aces to retrieve their dropped items, but I worked out after a while that I didn't have to.

3. We're aware of that, and boy is it weirdly satisfying, as is making enemies kill each other with their own interception fire haha.

InfiniteSheldor - Thanks for clearing that up. Actually regarding my first question I'm now thinking "duh I shoulda known that".

The above is still useful info to add to a faq guide anyway. I went through the months 3 times and did as many of the missions as I could unlock without having to grind. So it's been a pretty complete playthrough and now I'm playing the Witcher 3 :-0

VC2 Was incredibly addictive and I look forward to seeing DarkHeroMind's guide completed whenever I decide to pick this great game up again in the future.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. Creating a postgame guide

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived