Great SP campaign!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Spec Ops: The Line
  3. Great SP campaign!

User Info: Renato1984

Renato1984
5 years ago#1
I'm sad I see people on forums not acknowledging that this is a great SP campaign. After so many years of mainstream shooters setting an ultra low bar for trash, utter horsesh*t SP campaigns, people can't even recognize a great one when they play it anymore.

People have lost their notions of what is a well crafted SP experience. They rush through it to get to see if they can "own noobs" on MP as soon as possible. That is sad, that is the successful work of huge corporations exploiting a form of entertainment, exploiting the users while numbing them.
That is not a "natural evolving of entertainment products inside a free market".

Half-Life 3 probably got redone more times than it should, thanks to fear of sale underperformance, thanks to people that like their games as brainless as possible.

User Info: lugpoints

lugpoints
5 years ago#2
not a bad game. the ending and epilogue is bit different. kinda refreshing actually but still more interesting than other fps endings. not sure if any of the decision made during the game changes the outcome of the ending or not. nevertheless, it does recap the decisions you made like if you let that guy burn to death or mercy kill him or whether you open fire on the crowd that hung your friend or not. still kinda neat overall. :)

User Info: mrparisz

mrparisz
5 years ago#3
can't read the 2nd post, smells kinda spoilery but i agree, it's the only 'generic' feeling shooter that captures me because of it's 'war is horror' plot & 'apocalypse now' derived themes. i usually hate these sort of shooters but this one works for me.

one other thing, i really liked that DJ playing vietnam rock & roll material while you're fighting the 33rd & the lead roles you're playing with are commenting about how wacko it is stressfully in the heat of battle. funny stuff, not to mention konrad, that guy is one hell of a dude.

User Info: skrillas1337

skrillas1337
5 years ago#4
lugpoints posted...
not a bad game. the ending and epilogue is bit different. kinda refreshing actually but still more interesting than other fps endings. not sure if any of the decision made during the game changes the outcome of the ending or not. nevertheless, it does recap the decisions you made like if you let that guy burn to death or mercy kill him or whether you open fire on the crowd that hung your friend or not. still kinda neat overall. :)

nice spoilers. thanks for that.

User Info: TPulla02

TPulla02
5 years ago#5
I agree. The campaign is absolutely outstanding. Of course, I was hoping for more than five hours worth, but I think Yager hoped we'd play through it again and do things differently and see how our decisions did/didn't effect the story. After playing the demo I thought for sure this would be a solid third-person shooter if just a touch generic. I was surprised at how good it was. One of the few shooters on the market that plays to the whole "War is hell" angle and actually forces you to face the horrible things that you do.

*SPOILER WARNING*

I don't remember the last time I was affected by something in a videogame as much as I was after Walker, Adams, and Lugo use the white phosphorous. That was downright chilling.
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Mhz | Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1333 MHz | Galaxy GTX 580 @ 850/1700 (1.5 GB) | Windows 7 64-bit

User Info: TheAvilanator

TheAvilanator
5 years ago#6
I just marathoned through this game last night and I must agree. This really is an awesome single player campaign.
“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”
-- Philip K. Dick

User Info: Madelle

Madelle
5 years ago#7
I loved the story in the game and found it to be one of the very rare and few games that actually had a satisfying ending that felt appropriate--the "Welcome to Dubai"-ending being my favourite. As rare as it is in games in general, it's even more rare in the military shooter genre.

However, I did feel that the gameplay left a little to be desired. It was mediocre.

User Info: seigejet

seigejet
5 years ago#8
I enjoyed the story, gameplay was average.
Broa - Jjang Guild... retired.
PSN - Seijoh617, Karaberos, Supergizzymo

User Info: Chibirazi

Chibirazi
5 years ago#9
Probably one of the best TPS singleplayer campaigns we have had till now,certainly worlds above what the genre king is barfing out(yes Im looking at you GoW)

*ending spoilers so stay clear if necessary*

Cant believe I didnt see that ending coming.
Personally I expected the sniper that you see on the main menu screen mid camp to actually shoot Walker at the end...instead he shot himself >.> oh well.
Where did the rest of the 33rd go though?
Adams certainly couldnt have killed them all...
Or were the few that welcomed Walker a illusion too?

User Info: TPulla02

TPulla02
5 years ago#10
Chibirazi posted...
Probably one of the best TPS singleplayer campaigns we have had till now,certainly worlds above what the genre king is barfing out(yes Im looking at you GoW)

*ending spoilers so stay clear if necessary*

Cant believe I didnt see that ending coming.
Personally I expected the sniper that you see on the main menu screen mid camp to actually shoot Walker at the end...instead he shot himself >.> oh well.
Where did the rest of the 33rd go though?
Adams certainly couldnt have killed them all...
Or were the few that welcomed Walker a illusion too?

That's more than likely up to your own interpretation. I don't see any reason why the 33rd would have surrendered to Walker outside of the fact that him, Adams, and Lugo took out most of their unit. The war was going to rage on with or without him, but I think it was implied that they needed a leader and Walker was the best fit.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the other endings, Chibirazi? If you choose to shoot Konrad instead of letting him shoot you you're given an Epilogue chapter that allows you to choose from two additional endings.

And to one of the poster's above me, I think the ending where Martin goes ape **** and blows away his "rescuers" was great from a war-has-no-winner standpoint, but I prefered the other option. Walker showed a lot of remorse throughout the game and was hell-bent on saving the lives of the people there. Regardless if everything he did essentially killed nearly everyone, he was still only trying to do the decent thing. When asked how he could have possibly made it out alive, his response of "Who says I did" fit the game's message so well: physical scars can heal but mental and emotional scars can last a lifetime.
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Mhz | Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1333 MHz | Galaxy GTX 580 @ 850/1700 (1.5 GB) | Windows 7 64-bit
  1. Boards
  2. Spec Ops: The Line
  3. Great SP campaign!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived