[Spoilers] Debate on what the story in Limbo is about.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. LIMBO
  3. [Spoilers] Debate on what the story in Limbo is about.

User Info: KIRBYSIM_SG

KIRBYSIM_SG
7 years ago#1
Has anyone who completed the game understood the story in Limbo? Full spoilars please - what's your take on the game and ending?

User Info: rij

rij
7 years ago#2
There literally is no story. You wake up in a strange place looking for your sister, then you find her and the game ends. I suppose you can make up your own story about it being purgatory or whatever, but based on the entirety of the game I don't know what else to say about it.

KIRBYSIM_SG
7 years ago#3
I noticed that the very last scene you see in the ending... with the ladder hanging off of some tree...

Is the very same scene as the one at the main menu... except at the main menu, it's raining... the ladder and tree are partially destroyed... and there are flies hovering around two... things on the ground.

What do you make of the game's title "Limbo", rij? Or anyone, for that matter.

User Info: Xtatic324

Xtatic324
7 years ago#4

I don't know what the story is about since I haven't played the game yet. It would suck if there isn't any story to it at all. Do you think it really is the middle between hell and heaven? It seems that way.. Judging how dark the game is and violent.

User Info: 77Bronze77

77Bronze77
7 years ago#5
I think its actually a bunch of bull**** that idiots are going to go around debating about.

KIRBYSIM_SG
7 years ago#6
Okay now that embargo's up, here's my interpretation of what the story in Limbo is about.

***WARNING***
***WARNING***
***WARNING***
SPOILERS AHEAD! TREAD WITH CAUTION!
***WARNING***
***WARNING***
***WARNING***

Without a doubt, the game's title "Limbo" definitely refers to that place at the border of hell or something like that. I wonder how obvious this was, given the fact that in the press release and the official description of the game sort of tried and distract players from realising that by feeding them a story of how this young boy is trying to save his sister.

At the main menu, you see in the background this scene with a broken ladder hanging off a tree, and two disparate groups of flies hovering about what might vaguely look like corpses.

So I'm guessing that at the beginning of the game, the siblings have already died, and were separated at the borders of hell AKA limbo.

Then the boy wakes up, slides down a slope, and crosses a river on boat. If you wikipedia Limbo, there is a paragraph that says that to get to the borders of hell you have to cross this river called Arc..something.

At the end of the game, the boy finds himself walking back to the scene depicted in the background of the main menu, except the ladder and the surrounding environments are not destroyed. There, the boy is re-united with his sister, who must have been waiting there after death in hopes that her brother would come find her.

The story is either that, or, the boy dreamt that he had to go through hell to rescue his sister, only to wake up and find that everything's well and dandy.

KIRBYSIM_SG
7 years ago#7
Just wanna add that, prior to playing the game when players look at the flies on th main menu screen, chances are they wouldn't interpret it as "flies = corpses".

That association is only made after you've played the game, because in a great many scenarios there are flies swattering around corpses/carcasses.

User Info: Xtatic324

Xtatic324
7 years ago#8

I would love for the developers to say what the story is all about.

User Info: Zeldias

Zeldias
7 years ago#9
Funny enough, Limbo could refer to the state the players are in while playing. Always trying to figure out what's going on, never sure, continuously encountering puzzles. All these things function on the foundation of uncertainty, which is a state of limbo.

At least, that makes more sense to me than Braid's title did for me.
Look! The East is burning red!

User Info: Claustrofos

Claustrofos
7 years ago#10
Here is my interpretation of the game:

You know what they say when you have a near death experience; They say that your life flashes right through your eyes. And that is what this game is about. A brother and a sister were in an accident, but just before the brother dies, he recounts his whole life up till the point of the accident.

At first you are in a forest, as a child who has no obligation to the world, he could just wonder around. The spider I'd say is a metaphor to all the insecurities you have to go through in your childhood. Then as he got older, and maybe started school, he was bullied. Hence the other children at this point in the game. After school, he started working in some kind of a factory. The way I see it, the girl he sees the first time is not his sister, but maybe the love of his life, or maybe some kind of unrequited love since he never actually gets to her.

Now I'm not so sure about what is going on in his life after that point, but I'd say that when you find the switches that spin the world, his life was at a turning point. And maybe later on his life went so upside down that he actually committed a suicide. But the way how they died is clear: It was a car accident. In the main menu, if you look at the thing in the upper right corner, you'll notice the thing is actually in the shape of a car. The front wheels are visible. And right before the end the main character actually flies through a glass: It's actually the windshield.

So that's it. This game is a about a car accident and the last moments before the guy's death.
Even to myself I'm a genius
  1. Boards
  2. LIMBO
  3. [Spoilers] Debate on what the story in Limbo is about.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived